Equestrian
About Smokemont Campground

Situated in the stunning Great Smoky Mountains National Park, this campsite offers an ideal setting to enjoy the outdoors.

Ridge upon ridge of forest straddles the border between North Carolina and Tennessee in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. World-renowned for its diversity of plant and animal life, the beauty of its ancient mountains and the quality of its remnants of Southern Appalachian culture, this is Americas most visited national park.

Natural Features:

Smokemont Campground is surrounded by picturesque mountain ranges, with pristine mountain streams and rivers setting the backdrop for your camping adventure. Whether blanketed in spring wildflowers or vivid fall colors, the scenery at Smokemont never disappoints.

At 2,200 feet, Smokemont provides a moderate climate, characterized by mild winters and hot, humid summers.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park preserves a rich cultural history of Southern Appalachia. From the prehistoric Paleo Indians to the early European settlements in the 1800s, the park strives to protect its historic structures, landscapes and artifacts that tell the stories of the people who once called these mountains home.

Recreation:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a hikers paradise, offering over 800 miles of maintained trails ranging from short, leg-stretchers to strenuous treks, with a number of those trails easily accessible from the picnic area. But hiking is not the only reason for visiting the Smokies: Fishing, picnicking, wildlife viewing and auto touring are also popular activities.

Campers can enjoy high-quality backcountry fishing in the cool waters of the countless streams and rivers that snake through the mountains, with trout available in abundance. The nearby Bradley Fork River provides a great place to go for a dip or fish for trout.

Wildlife viewing is a popular pastime, and with around 1,500 bears living in the park, its not uncommon for visitors to spot one. The park is a sanctuary for a magnificent array of animal and plant life, all of which is protected for future generations to enjoy.

The park also holds one of the best collections of log buildings in the eastern United States. Over 90 historic structures, including houses, barns, outbuildings, churches, schools and grist mills, have been preserved or rehabilitated in the park.

Facilities:

Smokemont Campground offers an unforgettable outdoor experience with the added convenience of flush toilets, drinking water and sinks. There are campsites for tents as well as RVs available, and tent pads, grills and fire rings are provided. There is also a flat, grassy area that is perfect for group activities like football, volleyball, or simply soaking up the sun.

Nearby Attractions:

The Museum of the Cherokee Indian, Oconaluftee Indian Village and Qualla Arts and Crafts Mutual, located 6 miles away in Cherokee, North Carolina, provides cultural and historical information about the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. Cherokee also has fuel.

Sites
140
National Park Service
Smokemont Campground is located in North Carolina
Directions
From Cherokee, NC: Take Newfound Gap Road (aka US 441) North 6 miles. Turn right at campground sign. From Gatlinburg, TN: Take Newfound Gap Road (aka US 441) South 27 miles. Turn left at campground sign.
17 Reviews of Smokemont Campground
Large National Park Campground Close to Historic Structures

Despite having rained for a week, staying at this campground wasn’t half bad. Building a fire was next to impossible. I think there might have been thirty minutes without rain, so pictures are limited. Being in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, you need to be prepared for rain since it is a temperate rain forest. I had brought Boy Scouts to this campground years ago and wanted to go back. This time, we did not stay in the group camping area. Since it was at the beginning of the week, it wasn’t too crowded, although there were two Boy Scout groups in the group camping area. There are several camping areas, and the one we were in allowed generators during the day. I think I heard one, but it was not so bad. Unfortunately, there are gravel tent pads, which is bad news for campers with tents you have to stake down. I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again. As a tent camper, I hate gravel tent pads. Being in the national park, the amenities are about the same as the other national park campgrounds. However, I was surprised that the bath house had an electrical outlet to be used for blow dryers and shavers. I don’t remember any other Great Smoky Mountains National Park campgrounds having that luxury. But like the other ones in this national park, the bath house does not have showers or campsite hookups for water, sewer, and electricity. There are several trails in the area, but the ones that originate from the campground is the¾ mile nature trail and the Bradley Fork Smokemont Loop. When my son and I hiked this trail, we had to watch out for and step around horse poop. Since this trail is also used by horses, there was lots of it. Fortunately, the nature trail didn’t allow horses. My granddaughter loved walking over the log bridges and skipping rocks at the campground while it wasn’t raining. I think that was her favorite part. As with most of my camping trips, I want to explore, and there is plenty to explore around this campground. Being in the national park, there is a wide variety.

Fewer than three miles down the road, there is an old mill (Mingus Mill), the Oconaluftee Visitors Center (which has the Mountain Farm Museum), elk, wild turkeys, etc. Within the boundary of the campground I discovered something at the campground that I never knew existed. There was an old church at the campground that was built before Great Smoky Mountains National Park was established. We were able to go into the church for me to take a few pictures.  It was first constructed in 1836 and rebuilt in 1912. Not too far from the campground is the Appalachian Trail, the Benton MacKaye Trail, and the Kephart Prong Trail. This campground is also one of the largest campgrounds in the national park that I have been to. Although it is not an equestrian campground, Tow String camping area is“next door,” and it is an equestrian campground. The horseback riders pass beside the campground on route to the Bradley Fork Trail. Overall, this was one of my better experiences with national park campgrounds except for the rain.

Smokemont Campground - National Park in the off season

We stayed for one night, on a weeknight in early December. The campground was completely deserted (one other camper came in the evening, there were only two of us there!). Most of the campground is shut down during that time. Bathroom was open, with cold water. Water was available at the spouts. Sites are very close together for the most part, typical of most National Park Service car camping campgrounds.

Campground is along a creek, and there were some sites right along the water. Nice little trail across from our site that we explored. You must buy heat treated wood locally (we found some easily in nearby Cherokee).

Campground is close to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, and we had the luck of seeing a heard of Elk in the field at the center on our way in! The road through the park shut down the night we were there due to snow and ice in the higher elevations, so keep weather in mind when visiting in the colder months; if you are planning to drive all the way through the park, you might not be able to. Same goes for the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway, which was still shut down in many areas for clearing after an ice storm a week or two before we got there.

Welcome To North Carolina, the Smoky Mountain Way!

On the most crowded of days sometimes you just find something that makes you happy and in my pursuit of a waterfall, that is how I stumbled upon Smokemont. I had thought it was a group only camp from other readings, but then discovered it was this great place with wide spaces big enough for RVs or tents.

The sites were pretty flat and even and made for my tent night comfortable. Facilities were well maintained and this being my first campground in North Carolina, it left a very good impression on me to say the least!!

I did find this campsite to be less crowded than the two major camps on the Tennessee side the Smoky Mountain entrance.

The campsite I had was only $21 when I visited and was pretty standard with picnic table and fire ring. They do ask you only use heat treated wood and not bring in woods which might contain little critters not native to the area. This was the only real warning they gave me when I checked in.

Great camping at the entrance to the Great Smokey Mountains

Very popular campground just inside the Park and not far from Cherokee NC. Clean, well maintained, easy access RV sites. The RV loop has no hookups, although generators are allowed during the day. We had a lovely site on the creek. Bring water and be prepared for damp conditions.

Nice spot

Lovely place to camp and hike. Usually very quiet and not a lot of people.

Beautiful location

Great, quiet spot to pitch a tent. A beautiful trail up the side of the mountain leads to great views and starts right at the campground.

Great Semi-primitive

This campground was great. Lovely location on the eastern side of GSMNP. Easy access to many trails and spacious sites enabled a great getaway. No electricity, no cell reception means great, meaningful time with friends and family. Site B32 means you're falling asleep to rushing creek water every night. Be prepared for rain, it's what makes the Smokies beautiful.

Tyical National Park Campground

Smokemont is a typical national park campground. There are no showers and only cold water in the restrooms. Since I have oily hair and must wash my hair daily I wish for warm showers. The campground is clean and well kept. Campsites are pretty close together, but this is ok since campers were friendly and followed the rules. It’s a beautiful setting with plenty of hiking trails nearby. Elevation is low here so it gets rather warm in the summer. I was interested in seeing “Unto These Hills” down in Cherokee so this was a perfect location for that outing. The Oconaluftee Visitor’s Center is nearby, as well.

Another Gem in the Smokies

We spent several nights driving through GSMNP and this was where we spend our final night. The campsite was quiet (mid-May) in terms of people but full of life. So many butterflies and other cool nature nuggets.

The sites are a nice size, more than enough room for little tent campers like us. The sites are crushed gravel with nice fire rings and plenty of shade. This is a pristine spot along the Blue Ridge and worth spending a night (or more).

Just gorgeous

Beautiful site next to river, a lot of hiking options. Ice available a short bike ride or hike away at horse stable. No internet available so check weather forecast before leaving the visitor center