The best DRIVE IN camping near
Laboratory , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Laboratory Camping Reviews
Great Camping

Had a relaxed awesome camping trip at Ebenezer.

A great friendly place for prospecting, relaxing, & to eat!

We love it here at the Lucky Strike Gold & Gem Mine! It is quiet & peaceful mixed with prospecting for gold & gems. The river runs along some of the sites. During the season there's normally (minus covid) music night on Tues, potluck dinner on Thurs, and Bingo on Fri. The atmosphere here is very friendly. There's a Miner's Diner on site that serves up some great food & sweet tea! Cell service is a little sketchy from the mountains but service that runs off T-Mobile is full signal. I recommend staying here any time of the year!

Nice views but....

We stayed in July 2019. For a NC state park, some of the sites are a little close to each other. It is well known that NC parks do not allow alcohol, so we did not bring any.

The camp host was a little insulting with how they kept on checking on us over and over and over and reminding us that we can't drink. We weren't even playing music or making noise. And we weren't drinking. It was just the two of us, and we are experienced campers, so… We know better.

I'd go back and give it another try,but having to insist that we weren't breaking rules… I felt like a kid in Catholic school all over again and frankly, I do not go camping with the goal of re-living that.

Kings mountain National military park

Sweet little 4 mile hike back to a primitive camping area. There is one designated area but we passed a few campsite scattered along other areas of the trail. The National park sits back-to-back with the state park and is joined by a nice trail.

Canoe In Camping!

We decided to do some cold weather camping so we made our reservation in December, packed up our bags and a canoe and went off to Lake James. It. Was. Awesome. For one, we were the only people at the "boat only access" sites. Secondly, the bathroom was super clean and the sites were awesome. Then.. last but not least a baby raccoon was hanging out nearby that we got to watch from a lil distance, and baby raccoons are adorable.

I'd definitely go back!

Good Times at the Gorge!

These are pretty decent sites. You just pull off the road, set up and enjoy the camping experience.
We hiked down to the gorge and also enjoyed the dispersed camping available right along the riverside, which was pretty cool but… that hike back up is a DOOZY especially with a pack on. I would recommend it. The payoff of the views is highly worth any trail difficulties.
This was a really clean, well respected area. I liked to see that most other campers were clearly doing their part to Leave no Trace.

Great local spot

Great campground. Rates have gone up to $20 a night as of 4/1/21

Huge!

Campground is huge & within walking distance of the raceway. Camping world is across the street if you forgot anything! Win! We parked across from the playground for the kids and it was so nice. They have a sand volleyball court there too. Dog park in the far back corner. Different vibe off of racing season. Very affordable & nice quiet stop! Off season, they turn two sites into one so you get 100' to yourself. All gravel. Grassy areas around for pets. Some sites have a grass backyard area. Fences & picnic tables separate the sites.

Pleasantly Surprised

We stayed here for a weekend in March 2021 and were surprised at how much we liked it. There are lots of trails close to the campground with one around a lake and a stream off of it. Facilities were very well maintained. Only downside not all lots level and some stumps that were hard to manuver around to park and to leave spot.

Spacious with Amenities

My husband and I car camped at Paddy Creek in Lake James State Park and were surprised to find such great amenities. The bathrooms were clean and convenient from all the sites. There was water available at our site and neat trails down to the lake.