the dyrt
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Redondo Campground is located in Santa Fe National Forest in New Mexico
3 Reviews of Redondo Campground
Depends which spot you get

There are some sites at the far end away from the road which are more secluded, but most in the center are packed in pretty tight so if you have a neighbor (which on holiday weekends you will for sure) it's not a remote camping experience.

Restrooms are usually pretty stinky even early in the season!

Ranger Review: Fayettechill Andre Shirt from Roanline at Redondo Campground, NM

Campground Review

This campground is an excellent basecamp to explore the Jemez area, with excellent access to quality rock climbing for everyone from beginners to experts (5.5 sport routes to 5.12+ sport and trad, and mid-grade alpine routes are nearby at Los Conchas, Battleship Rock, and the Gilman Tunnels), wonderful day hikes near the Jemez River and it's tributaries, and is a short drive from the Valles Caldera National Preserve and Bandelier National Monument.

This campground is busy, and is immediately off NM highway 4, so you can't expect solitude and silence. Also, plan on arriving early if you want to get a good site, as reservations are not accepted and when we arrived in the early afternoon on a Friday, the grounds were already filling up. Despite this, the campground is beautiful, the spaces are large enough to easily accommodate two vehicles and multiple parties, likewise allows plenty of room for setting up goodies like slacklines and hammocks, and the size of the sites allows you plenty of room to set up away from adjacent sites if you want a bit more privacy. The sites are flat, but there are not designated pads, so you have options in tent placement, but might have to move some debris to get a comfortable set up. All sites have an enclosed fire pit and older-style large, concrete picnic tables. The campground is affordable at $10/night, and has serval different loops with group sites, trailer/RV comparable sites, and walk up primitive sites.

Overall, this is a great site for family and group camping as long as you don't mind a bit of noise. The only detractors keeping it from being a five-star site for me are the noise level that comes from such a popular campground, and the pit toilets did not appear to be cleaned regularly, and two of the restrooms on site seemed unsanitary.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to test products now and then. On this trip, I tried out the Andre Shirt by Fayettechill, provided by the good folks at Roanline.

I'm not typically one to wear button ups while outdoors--mostly because I'm boring and just pack a few plain-jane tee shirts for a weekend outside--but with this shirt I'm a convert to more stylish and comfortable options. The lightweight fabric made this a wonderful choice for late spring southwest weather with temperatures in the upper-80s, and the wide sleeves provided enough dexterity for comfortable wear while climbing, even while reaching well above my head and making poor racking decisions that required reaching around to the opposite side of my harness while locked out.

Style-wise, this shirt fits well in my closet alongside the less functional and more expensive button ups that I'd normally wear for a night out. Similarly, I typically wear a size small, and am on the thin and tall end of the spectrum, and the shirt fits true to size. Similarly, I was concerned that the wide sleeves that provide a wide range of motion would look awkward on my frame, but they managed to fall well, even on my more narrow arms. Additionally, the shirt resisted bunching, even on a three mile approach with a pack carrying a full rack, a day's water, and a 60m rope.

So, while my days of throwing a couple beat up shirts in my bag might not be quite behind me, I'll definitely be poking around Roanline for other comfortable Fayettechill products and similar comfortable and stylish options that can hold up to time in the woods to replace my tee shirt dweebery.

Great primitive campground with plenty of shade

Pulled into Redondo a few weeks ago on a last-minute weekend trip to the Jemez mountains. We'd thought about just driving a forest road to get more seclusion, but since it was already getting dark we figured we'd set up for the night then move on Saturday. Fortunately that wasn't necessary!

Redondo is in a stretch of tall pines in the Jemez. The sites are somewhat hilly, but have the basic Forest Service amenities: picnic table, fire ring, and pad. The site we found actually had some flat space back in the trees a bit so we set up there for the weekend.

For being a warm weekend in May, there weren't many folks at this campground.