About Taum Sauk Mountain State Park

Taum Sauk Mountain State Park offers basic, walk-in campsites and two special-use camping areas. The campsites allow for tent camping only. Pop-up or other trailers are not allowed.

Campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no showerhouse or dump station. Water and a vault toilet are available in the camping area.

Hike In
No WiFi
Taum Sauk Mountain State Park is located in Missouri
16 Reviews of Taum Sauk Mountain State Park
Secluded Camping with a View

Self-service campsites, the closest you can get to backpacking with access to a toilet! (Vault toilet) The sites are all secluded from each other by trees and are very beautiful. The overlook to the valley is beautiful, especially for sunrise, and another short walk will take you to the marker for MO highest point.

Camping within the trees

I like this camp site because you are within the trees the whole time. It is tent camping only. Where we camped, the ground was covered in moss. That made for very soft sleeping, except for the few large rocks spread over the area. We had room for two portable canopies and about 35 cub scouts and family members.

Lovely area, great overlook on highest peak

Very simple campground lets you feel close to the lovely nature here. The trail options are either a short loop or a loooong out and back along the famous Ozark Trail. Not much else to do (no water activites) so if you’re not planning to hike a lot or just hang out/grill, you might want to plan some time off site.

Yay: Trails through all kinds of forests, waterways and waterfalls. Educational displays.

Nay: TENT CAMPING ONLY!!! My friend had been turned away on a previous trip! (There are some other parks nearby if you are in an RV.) Fills up fast.

Surprise: Hike the tallest mountain in MO, not a long hike. Endless green rolling vistas! Also had deer at our tent.

First Taum Sauk adventure

This being my first experience with a first come first serve campground, I was nervous coming in as we arrived fairly late on a Friday night. To my pleasure, we found a campsite to ourselves. My boyfriend and I travel and camp together and like to find sites that are quiet and give you a sense that you're a lot further from the city then we are. We were happy with the spaciousness and the distance between the sites. A few of the first sites looked much closer together and would make a great place for a larger group. I believe we were at site 8 near the back of the road where it felt quietier. Unfortunately though the second night a group of young boy scouts camped right behind us in the large communal spot, which made for a very loud night and early morning. Other than that, we really enjoyed the space and proximity to trails including the Mina Sauk Falls. There is your standard bug covered vault toilet and a spigot for water at the front. The best part was a designated leveled area for tents that made sleeping so very comfortable. Would definitely return, just maybe would go furather from the large communal spot.

Taum Sauk Mountain is the highest point in Missouri, and a good campground

I had a great time at Taum Sauk Mountain. I came down to check out the area to see if it would be a good place to do a Boy Scout High Adventure for my son's troop. It is only tent sites, no RV's, campers or pop ups. I prefer setting up my tent and sleeping under the stars so I loved camping here.

There are not a lot of campsites and they are reserved on a first come first served basis. There are only pit toilets and no showers but if you are in a pinch you can power your phones from the outlet outside of the pit toilets and there is a water fountain with a spigot right next to the pit toilets as well.

Taum Sauk Mountain is the highest point in Missouri with a beautiful overlook. It also has a tower if you are not afraid of heights and can make it up the 91 steps to the top. There is a lot of wildlife. I saw several deer myself and my neighbors had a pack of raccoons who terrorized the food they left out on their picnic table. Be sure to keep your food and belongings in your car or hung up in a tree or on one of the posts set up in the camp site.

This is a great park for scenery, wildlife, and solitude.

Camping, hiking, sightseeing, & birding at Taum Sauk Mountain State Park in Missouri

Gave this campground a 5-star rating, but it probably should only be a 4 star. It only has about 12 basic tent campsites, no water or electrical at the sites. The campsites were nicely spaced, most have a lot of shade, each has a picnic table and a place to make a fire. No trailers allowed at camp sites, just tents. There is one or two special-use camping areas that can be used for groups such as boy scouts, etc. It appears you can pay in advance and reserve some campsites, so that you be sure to get one for your trip. I went in late May on the Mon-Tue of-after Memorial Day weekend and was able to find an available campsite even though I did not have a reservation. Camping fees/rates were posted on a board near the restroom building by the honor system camping fee pay station.
The restroom bldg only has pit toilets, not flush toilets. But they were cleaned very well by the workers on the 2nd day I was there. Also worth noting is that there is water faucet an a drinking fountain next to the restroom bldg, so you can get fresh water if needed. OK, so this sounds normal to average, so why give this campground a good rating? Because of location to the great stuff near-by on this mountain.
Missouri's High Point is here on this mountain. There is a very nice overlook w/ viewing platform w/ handrails very close to the campground. Some awesome hiking trails are worth checking out, although they are a bit rugged in places where you could twist an ankle. One of the trails will take you to a nice waterfall, which is Missouri's highest falls. Note that I would not call it MO's largest waterfall. Further to all of this great stuff is that the birds were plentiful and quite active when I was there. Easy to watch and listen to them at the camping area, and at the overlook viewing platform. Birds were pretty much everywhere. There is also a look-out tower up on the mountain, which is probably used as a fire watch tower. A few pictures attached.