About Taum Sauk Mountain State Park

Taum Sauk Mountain State Park offers basic, walk-in campsites and two special-use camping areas. The campsites allow for tent camping only. Pop-up or other trailers are not allowed.

Campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no showerhouse or dump station. Water and a vault toilet are available in the camping area.

Taum Sauk Mountain State Park is located in Missouri
11 Reviews of Taum Sauk Mountain State Park
Iron ranger

First come first serve. You will have to get there early to ensure a spot. Great hiking and access to the Ozark Trail. Great views for early mornings. The site we got set up at had plenty of trees to set up hammocks, but some of the sites were not set up from hammock camping.

Beautiful Views with Few People

My husband and I stayed here last December before starting the Taum Sauk to Johnson Shut-Ins portion of the Ozark Trail. The hike to Mina Sauk falls and Devil's Toll is always worth it.

We were the only people in the campground that night, which was a little freaky, but also very peaceful. A few cars did drive through the campground later at night, but they didn't stop.

The campsite had a picnic table, fire ring and tent area.

The water was turned off at the time of year we were there and the pit toilets were pretty full, but otherwise still clean.

Rustic but huge sites

We stayed in the group site. It is very close to several points of interest- Fort Davidson in Pilot Knob, Elephant Rocks & Johnson Shut- ins.

super price for the group site

Highest Point in Missouri

Wonderful campground with maintained sites and space to camp where you would. Taum Sauk Park has a portion of the Ozark Trail traversing it’s highest point. Highly recommend hiking the small ~4-5 mile loop to catch some of the amazing views and rock formations. There are also numerous sites along the trail that have been camped in on a regular basis and so are easy to spot.

Beautiful Views!!

The campground is based off first-come first-serve. They offer vault toilets and water and only tent camping.

Taum Sauk Mountain is known for being the highest peak in Missouri but has a lot more to offer with its breathtaking views. There are three trails that are within Taum Sauk Mountain and you don’t want to miss out on these views!

Taum Sauk Mountain- Missouri‘s highest point trail is not a long hike, just a little under 2 miles and rated moderate.

Mina Sauk Falls trail is a little under 4 miles and rated moderate. Best to hike after a heavy rainfall to see the waterfall but don’t let that stop you if it hasn’t rained in awhile, still beautiful to see.

Ozark Trails meets with Mina Sauk Falls and then runs off on own again. Its about a 14 mile trail and rated Hard.

Be sure to wear good hiking shoes!

I downloaded the AllTrails app, which if you dont have I highly recommend downloading it. This app is very helpful finding trails near you and even locates where you are at on the trail.

Secluded Camping with a View

Self-service campsites, the closest you can get to backpacking with access to a toilet! (Vault toilet) The sites are all secluded from each other by trees and are very beautiful. The overlook to the valley is beautiful, especially for sunrise, and another short walk will take you to the marker for MO highest point.

Camping within the trees

I like this camp site because you are within the trees the whole time. It is tent camping only. Where we camped, the ground was covered in moss. That made for very soft sleeping, except for the few large rocks spread over the area. We had room for two portable canopies and about 35 cub scouts and family members.

Lovely area, great overlook on highest peak

Very simple campground lets you feel close to the lovely nature here. The trail options are either a short loop or a loooong out and back along the famous Ozark Trail. Not much else to do (no water activites) so if you’re not planning to hike a lot or just hang out/grill, you might want to plan some time off site.

Yay: Trails through all kinds of forests, waterways and waterfalls. Educational displays.

Nay: TENT CAMPING ONLY!!! My friend had been turned away on a previous trip! (There are some other parks nearby if you are in an RV.) Fills up fast.

Surprise: Hike the tallest mountain in MO, not a long hike. Endless green rolling vistas! Also had deer at our tent.

First Taum Sauk adventure

This being my first experience with a first come first serve campground, I was nervous coming in as we arrived fairly late on a Friday night. To my pleasure, we found a campsite to ourselves. My boyfriend and I travel and camp together and like to find sites that are quiet and give you a sense that you're a lot further from the city then we are. We were happy with the spaciousness and the distance between the sites. A few of the first sites looked much closer together and would make a great place for a larger group. I believe we were at site 8 near the back of the road where it felt quietier. Unfortunately though the second night a group of young boy scouts camped right behind us in the large communal spot, which made for a very loud night and early morning. Other than that, we really enjoyed the space and proximity to trails including the Mina Sauk Falls. There is your standard bug covered vault toilet and a spigot for water at the front. The best part was a designated leveled area for tents that made sleeping so very comfortable. Would definitely return, just maybe would go furather from the large communal spot.

Taum Sauk Mountain is the highest point in Missouri, and a good campground

I had a great time at Taum Sauk Mountain. I came down to check out the area to see if it would be a good place to do a Boy Scout High Adventure for my son's troop. It is only tent sites, no RV's, campers or pop ups. I prefer setting up my tent and sleeping under the stars so I loved camping here.

There are not a lot of campsites and they are reserved on a first come first served basis. There are only pit toilets and no showers but if you are in a pinch you can power your phones from the outlet outside of the pit toilets and there is a water fountain with a spigot right next to the pit toilets as well.

Taum Sauk Mountain is the highest point in Missouri with a beautiful overlook. It also has a tower if you are not afraid of heights and can make it up the 91 steps to the top. There is a lot of wildlife. I saw several deer myself and my neighbors had a pack of raccoons who terrorized the food they left out on their picnic table. Be sure to keep your food and belongings in your car or hung up in a tree or on one of the posts set up in the camp site.

This is a great park for scenery, wildlife, and solitude.