Standard (Tent/RV)
About Taum Sauk Mountain State Park

Taum Sauk Mountain State Park offers basic, walk-in campsites and two special-use camping areas. The campsites allow for tent camping only. Pop-up or other trailers are not allowed.

Campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no showerhouse or dump station. Water and a vault toilet are available in the camping area.

Hike In
Max Vehicle Length Unknown
Taum Sauk Mountain State Park is located in Missouri
18 Reviews of Taum Sauk Mountain State Park
Quiet and serene

We stayed here on a Tuesday evening in early November. It was election night so we were happy to not have a cell signal for the night. 😊 The sites are all walk in but it’s a short walk from your car to the site. Very rocky ground so be careful where you put your tent. Pit toilets are located at the entrance to the campground. We didn’t see where the water was but it was supposed to be off for the season anyway so we were prepared. We did the hike to the highest point in Missouri and then to a small waterfall. We were racing the sunset so we didn’t get to spend as much time as we would have liked. There were only two other campers and all was quiet.

Waterfallzz

Camped for a couple days during fall. The scenery was gorgeous!

Enthusiasts rejoice!

Are you a person who enjoys the outdoors more than the couch? Do you thrive in medium/tough hikes where the possible main cause of death is by "neck chaffing due to skin stickyness?" Do fetid sauna-temperatured bathrooms and nightly raccoon raids tickle your camping funny bone? Then this location is for you!

We are looking at 12 first, honor, come first served sites, with 2 larger special use ones.

The flora is rich and thick, with good shade on all sites. The drawback is the amount of poison ivy, so be careful.

Trash hooks are provided for all campsites but you'll need to take the trash out when you leave, as there's no collection. FURTHERMORE, many of the hooks are 4x4 posts which raccoons can easily climb, so you'll need to be proactive and put it all in your car. No bears, in my experience, are in the area so that should not be a big deal. Also, don’t forget to put all the food in the car as well as the little pests will tear through anything that is left behind-they’ve once stole one of my Olights, leaving only the butt and the battery behind.

Great for tent as well as hammocks. I've done both and, by far, the second it the way to go. Make sure that the site is free from the possibility of deadfalls, which happens all over. The dept of conservation does a good job cutting the dangerous trees but, sometimes, sh*t happens… Good fire rings with grates, as well as picnic tables are provided.

Fauna is everywhere! This is a great base for you to go out birding. I've found animals from Luna Moths to Copperheads in the surrounding areas. There is a very small pond in between all the sites. The noise at night is ABSOLUTELY deafening-I Love it! If this was the 60's and frogs were musicians, the place should be named Woodstock.

There's "drinkable" water on site but I would boil it, filter, and have it blessed before consuming it, if I were you…although that will not improve the taste of your instant coffee, sorry.

Temperatures are often manageable, especially at night as the place tends to fluctuate within 20 degrees between midday and 10pm- it's quite nice.

Mosquitoes are a nonsense that can be easily avoided by you not being a dummy and, 1. not camping next to the pond, 2. applying repellent.

This is one of my favorite sites in Missouri. Even if all sites are to be taken you'd still feel that there is enough space between you and the sucker next door. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for my next post,"Mina Sauk Spigot."

Loved it

The views, the views, the views!! After the hiking the campground pales in your thoughts. Primitive sites, in the trees and clean facilities covers it. The hiking though, bring your comfy boots, pack your day bag and bring your snacks and water.

Beautiful primitive canpground

Great primitive campground with clean facilities, plenty of trails and off the beaten path enough to give plenty privacy

Beautiful park. Stayed one night well maintained. Pretty busy but I was here before school started so lots of families out. Be sure to stop by elephant rock.

I LOVED this place. Great for all kinds of camping with beautiful trails and Missouri’s largest waterfall. It is also Missouri’s highest point.

Iron ranger

First come first serve. You will have to get there early to ensure a spot. Great hiking and access to the Ozark Trail. Great views for early mornings. The site we got set up at had plenty of trees to set up hammocks, but some of the sites were not set up from hammock camping.

Beautiful Views with Few People

My husband and I stayed here last December before starting the Taum Sauk to Johnson Shut-Ins portion of the Ozark Trail. The hike to Mina Sauk falls and Devil's Toll is always worth it.

We were the only people in the campground that night, which was a little freaky, but also very peaceful. A few cars did drive through the campground later at night, but they didn't stop.

The campsite had a picnic table, fire ring and tent area.

The water was turned off at the time of year we were there and the pit toilets were pretty full, but otherwise still clean.

Rustic but huge sites

We stayed in the group site. It is very close to several points of interest- Fort Davidson in Pilot Knob, Elephant Rocks & Johnson Shut- ins.

super price for the group site