The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Highlandville , MISSOURI

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Highlandville Camping Reviews
Great for Trout Fishing

Not my favorite of all parks but also not one to miss. Roaring river state park has a working trout fish hatchery. You can walk the holding tanks and feed the trout from baby to ready to be released into the river. There is also a cave you can walk in where you’ll find a pool of water that goes for miles underground. Roaring river has three different campgrounds. I prefer ground one and two…however the downside is the spots are not very spacious / far apart from those camping next to you. There are also several hiking trails through out the park, a visitors center, bath houses, a pool, and swimming holes (the water is very cold—great in the hot summer)

They are currently redoing the park in a multi million dollar project. The plan was to be completed already however due to COVID19 there have been some delays. I am excited to see the improvements once complete.

Words really can't describe.

But here we go….

Hidden Gem of the Ozarks

Definitely one of the most peaceful and tranquil campsites I ever stayed. Great place for families too. Access to Table Rock, Game Room, Pool and Jacuzzi. Small cabins and A-frames to rent. They have it all. This is my getaway!

Really Nice!

This is a COE facility. Pads are generally good and pretty level. Sites are spaced out nicely. There is a marina here with a restaurant that is open during the season. It had just closed on Labor Day when we were here. I would definitely recommend it and I would stay here again. There is not a lot to do though if you are not going out on the lake. We drove over and spent the afternoon at Roaring River State Park, which is very near by.

Nice area

Nice place to walk in the woods, camping by permit, short drive from Springfield, high traffic

Best MO State Park

We recently stayed here for thr first time and we can't wait to go back! Our camp attendants were amazing! The river is striking. Everyone is so friendly. We hiked, fished, swam, and enjoyed the nature center (2 kids 3 dogs). We are anxious to ckme back during different seasons to watch Natures beauty and wonder!

Pretty cool place

I grew up 30 miles from RR.. over the years I have camped or visited here it has grown and in some cases gotten a little crowded, but with good reason, it’s a beautiful and fun site with lots to do in and around the park area. From wishing to ORV to hiking to lake access it’s an all around fun area. The Trout farm is a fun tour and the trails around the area are easy to access.. big sites in most areas, the upper area has full hookups while the river bottom is not.

Our favorite place to camp!

We've enjoyed a week here and have had a blast!

Favorite place

I’ve been going here every year since I can remember. The camping trip to roaring river state park is the one thing I look forward to every year.

Hike in and camp, or just hike for day use!!

This area is a wilderness area so camping is plentiful.  However in this particular are there is no organized campsite specifically.  Instead there are several areas where you can with permissions hike in and stay.

My suggestion for camping along this area are to check with local restrictions, there are some that you will want to make sure you know first hand.   Sometimes fire restrictions do change and these can be found at the beginning of the trails on the kiosks.   Some areas also are not permitted for overnight parking so you want to check those out before venturing into the wilderness for a lengthy time.

Check with rangers of the area to make sure you are not in a register only or permit only area for camping!!  Very important in this region.

Bring everything and then plot your course.

The 4 mile hike is amazing and has many beautiful view points however it is also quite treacherous in some areas.    This area is also one which you will find many snakes lurking during warmer months so beware!!!!

I always suggest on wilderness hikes to not hike alone or camp alone but this one I found to be more problematic with limited to no cell service for assistance should you encounter danger.

Be careful but have fun!!!