Altura , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Altura Camping Reviews
Great hiking, no mosquitoes!

We stayed at Minneiska campground since Cedar Hills is under construction this year. It's a newer campground so the vegetation hasn't grown in fully yet - your neighbors are visible but there's good distance between sites so it wasn't a problem at all. The grounds themselves are really well-kept with nice bathroom facilities and hot showers, which was perfect for the cooler fall days. It's a busy park so you'll need to reserve early or plan on visiting during the week.

The hiking itself was awesome. We did the Dakota trail, which was a tough up and down hike with really incredible views of the fall colors. There's also a nice park/picnic area with beach access. I'm hoping to come back next summer to enjoy the swimming. All in all it was a great stay!

Horrible Customer service

Tried to stay here. Booked a site over the phone, got a reservation but was not told a confirmation number or even what site number we would have. Had to get off the line quickly as they made it seem like they were too busy to talk to me. Called back weeks later to confirm and got a site number, but again seemed like I was unimportant. Called before the trip to verify that I could cancel due to covid travel restriction and was told it would be fine. When I canceled the next morning (as I was told I could do), the manager called me and rudely said that was not the case. Again, they always seemed to be too busy to take care of my needs as a guest. I wish that I could say I will try again, but this experience of poor customer service has made me sure that I will never be staying at this resort again.

Great hidden gem

Out in the middle of bluff country. This nice campground plays to the active bodied person well. From golf to tubing to an indoor swimming pool and restaurant. This place has a lot to offer.

A hidden Gem

A very small, but great state park right by the more-touristy-Whitewater state park. We lucked out with booking a group site for Labor Day weekend at the last minute. There are two group sites that share one vault toilet. Site #2 is further down a path with 4 picnic tables and room for 4-5 tents. The site is right at the park border, with farm land/prairie just on the other Side of the trees.

Hiking was great with plenty of hills along the whitewater river, as well as a few places to jump in the VERY cold river. Highly recommend this park - and only 1.5 hours from Mpls! Only downside is there is no firewood within the park, so plan ahead there.

Popular campground

Perrot has it all: hiking, biking, paddling and camping and that makes it a popular place in the summer. It was totally booked the weekend I stayed here. Site 23E was not the best due to the location of the electric pedestal which was more set up for tent camping than an RV, but made it work, although it required an extension to the power cord. The electric power was also running low and the RV AC wouldn’t work. Fan only due to watts/volts varying. Site was also parallel to the campground road so there was road noise. There are much better sites in the 91E-95E section of tall pines!

Sites that were located on the water, were next to swampy, green algae type ponds. I can only imagine what the mosquitoes were like at those sites. Site pads are dirt and grass. Not easy to level.

Now for the good! This area is beautiful. Awesome bluff views of the Trempealeau and Mississippi rivers and definitely worth the hike up for them. The Great River State Trail head is located in Perrot and this is a must do if you like cycling on the rails to trails. The ride into quaint Trempealeau is enjoyable and not too strenuous. Make sure to check out the ice cream place that is located in the old caboose. Kayak and canoe rentals are available in the park as well. This is a paddler’s paradise, just be ready for the current and follow the water trail.

Also, a heads up: I was surprised that there is a daily vehicle pass required and this costs $8/day in addition to the usual camping fees.

Wet Hot American Summer

We stayed at Gooseberry Glen Cart In Campground, on Site 1. The trail to the site was bumpy, but manageable. Site seemed a little small, but we managed to fit a 9 & 4 person tent along with two camping hammocks (6 Men; 2 Dogs). We had room to roam and chill while not feeling overly crowded. First night rained from 11p-5a. Site did not get rained out and no puddling. We were on a little cliff overlooking a small creek/stream, so perhaps there was good drainage. I totally expected mosquitoes but THERE WERE NONE!! After getting a total of 38 bites on my ankles from my previous trip it was so nice to not have to stress about it. The hike to Chimney Rock Trail is literally right across the highway with a trail leading to the parking lot once you cross over. I highly recommend getting up those stairs and having a look at the beautiful views. Wildlife didn’t bother us or our food/gear at all and we kept it onsite. There’s a bear locker on the site, but we kept everything in duct tape coolers and had absolutely no problems. Hummingbirds hit up the vegetation daily. Owls and coyotes could be heard at night so that was cool. The toilet is super close to the site and there’s a trail that cuts right into site #1 that other campsites use…At first it was pretty annoying and invasive until we set up our tents to block that path off from the site itself. We had an absolutely amazing time and was definitely a park/campground I would love to go back to!!

Great, Clean Campground!

Friendly staff, clean restrooms, quiet campgrounds. There is a drop box if you arrive after hours. Will be returning!

Nice, quiet campground

Our site was very large, which was nice as it gave us more than enough room to set up our tent, leaving space between us and the neighboring sites.

For the families - there’s a couple small playgrounds on site, which is a good opportunity for the littles to burn some energy. There’s also a nice covered pool, but we didn’t use it because the most shallow point was 4’6”, which is great for bigger kids, but with little ones, it’s a bit more difficult. There’s a river that offers tubing. Again, our kids are a bit too little for that, but we went down to the water to check it out, and it was beautiful, quiet, and not real deep. Perfect for a relaxing float.

Beware, the office and bar/restaurant are located inside the barn. I say beware because there are barn swallows that nest on the outside of the barn. TONS of barn swallows. They’re mostly harmless, but they do swoop down and get pretty close, so you need to watch out a little bit.

All in all, it’s a pretty great place to camp. Beautiful, quiet (people seem to mostly respect the idea of “quiet time”), spacious, and relaxing. Also, it doesn’t hurt that you’re away from the bright lights of the city, so star gazing is amazing!

Good campground for the price

Decent enough campground. It has a bar with awesome prices on food and drinks, it has a playground with a busted slide. Basketball and volleyball courts, a man made swimming pond fed by a creek, and lots of trails. My kids really liked the pond and playground. They spent most of the weekend getting tadpoles from the water then letting them go again. The staff is amazing and extremely helpful. This one has some campsites that may be a little tricky to get a camper in and out of without their help.

Great hiking, ok camping

We were in Gooseberry Glen cart-in site 4. As other reviewers have said, it's a fairly long walk in with your gear, and the trail is challenging when pushing a cart. Once at the site, it's beautiful: right on the water, completely shaded, and spacious. However, we could clearly see our neighbors at site 3, which you don't expect at a cart-in site this far in the woods. It rained while we were there, and the site became quite muddy. Our gear and ourselves were filthy when we left. Finally, as another reviewer said, the animals in the area are not shy: mice, raccoon, squirrel, all were scampering around very close and in clear view of us throughout our stay. We kept our food in the car as there was no secure food box at the site.

We enjoyed hiking the challenging Dakota Trail during our stay. It was about a 3.5-4 hour hike with aggressive elevation changes and beautiful scenic overlooks. The majority of the trail is well shaded in the woods.