Au Sable, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Au Sable Camping Reviews
Nice getaway

We camped in the west loop area of the state park with our dog and it was an awesome trip! The campsites were tidy, the bathrooms were exceptionally clean, and the location to the beach was perfect. The road was a little noisy but when you had some music going it wasn’t too bad. The stars were crystal clear at night and all the campers were respectful and quiet. If you need any essentials there’s a convenience store right around the corner from the campground and there’s cute downtown Caseville only a couple minute drive away. The beach was pretty empty and the dog beach was a huge plus for us as our dog loves to swim. For sure will come back!

Modern camping with a good view

If you are looking for decent modern campsite Harrisville offers that. There is a bike trail that goes into town. Friendly host that offer books. There is wood on site to purchase through a vending machine. Only takes exact amount. Sites are pretty close together which makes getting to know your neighbors from the get go. The bathroom was very nice. Extremely clean and well kept. Staff was there several times even this late in the season cleaning at 6:30 am. The view of the lake was lovely. I happened to have site 74 which has a great view of the lake. Though the traffic of bathroom goers is annoying. The bathroom offered such bright beam of light I never used any of my flashlights. Depends on how you feel about that. If you’re looking for nice weekend to sleep outside this is nice. If you’re looking to get away from it all and have peace and quite. This is not it. Even in September. Staff was super friendly. I originally booked 82 and it was extremely tiny for a tent site more suited for a RV. Be mindful when picking your site. Majority on the water side are tiny and are more suited for RV not a tent. I mean tiny!

Awesome !

By far this is our favorite park this year. Surrounded by water on all sides, sunrise and sunsets are gorgeous. Plenary of beach for everyone including a dog beach!!! Bathrooms are well kept and clean. Kayak rentals are available as well.

Not What I Expected

I was super excited to visit this place because I heard good things… but I was a bit disappointed. The campground itself is more of an open field and there isn’t much for privacy or even tree cover. The lake was nice but pretty weedy and there were only 1 or two campsites that even had lake access. All the sites had the standard fire pit and picnic table but nothing else very exceptional about this place.

Beautiful Little Gem

Found this place as a fluke, but what a great find! We were the ONLY people there on Labor Day weekend… not even sure how that is possible. Nice sized wooded sights, with fire pit and picnic table. Walk down lake access at our site. Rustic toilets and shared water pump. No houses on the lake other than one that is being built. National forest campground means only $10.00 per night. Gorgeous little place.

Shade and Lake Huron

I great camp ground with lots of trees and a great beach.

Views!

Love this park, right down the street from our family cabin and you get the best views of the Au Sauble river for miles around. Right in the heart of Mio, and if you're in the area be sure to check out "the bakery" (Amish bakery that is unbelievably delicious)

Very rustic

This forest is massive, so much to explore. Had a blast back country camping, really nice to see such large areas still undisturbed for the most part.

Sand dunes and amazing views!!

Awesome spot, a must see if you're in the area. Just a mile or two walk to the dunes overlook where you can descend a 100+ ft sand dune down to the water and go for a swim. Be sure to take the forest observatory trail on the way and learn a bit about the history of the area. Definitely a place to bring the kids

A nice variety!

Rifle River offered a nice variety of camp sites. There is a cluster of quiet sites, a track of sites tucked away in some pines, and then the modern sites. The campground itself is large and has a couple lakes to go fishing in. There is no camp store on the grounds, but there is a nice one across the street from the entrance to the park.

Good Park

Overall a good campground right on Lake Huron. Well taken care of and the bathrooms were clean. Has everything from full hookup sites to cabins and rustic tent site.

Oak beach

Friendly clean and nice beach… we will comeback and recommend Oak Beach too friends…

Great Area

Came here on Father’s Day weekend, the campground was really nice and a ton of fun! If you book at the right time, you can get a spot right by the river which is super appealing.

Typical KOA

This was a pretty basic/nice KOA. We went second week of July and it was pretty empty, which was nice for us. There is a few things for kids/teens to play on, although half the arcade games were not working. The camp store had some really beautiful stuff to buy. If you go in a tent it's pretty affordable, the cabins are pricey though.

Train

Typical koa clean orderly but a train does run right next to the camp

My favorite KOA

Not too big and crowded. Been here a good handful of time both with adult groups for fun and with my wife and tween… Great family that owns it. Great location. Close to river trip companies and the lake.

Best sites are on the lake side.

Beautiful views of lake Huron. Unfortunately lake height has taken away the beach. The bathrooms are clean and the showers have lots of hot water. Two playgrounds and some short trails, one in the woods and one following the shore. Nice historical lighthouse museum, very friendly staff. Dog friendly park. Best sites are lakeside and on the corner lots. Otherwise it feels a bit like a parking lot. No shade! Most of the trees have been lost to the emerald ash borer. Worth another stay especially for boaters.

A Backcountry Beauty

Love this area! It is such a great weekend hike to some beautiful backcountry scenery. Not heavily trafficked, and most of the campsites have a pretty decent set up from past campers. Depending on your route, you can make this hike long or short. It’s perfect for an overnight or a weekend getaway. The trail is easy to follow and the camping areas are simple to find.

Book early

Probably one of the most popular state parks in Michigan, and for good reason. Most of the park is located on the water and the views are pretty gorgeous. The sites are small, so we usually book two. The grounds offer bathrooms and showers, as well as electric and water for RVs. No rustic options available, so all sites are $35 per night. The campground is located only a few short minutes from the launch site for Turnip Rock, so it’s become very popular for weekend trips.

Good campground

We enjoy the water and the lighthouse. Lots of room to ride your bike. We also like to hit up the public beach. Sites are meh.

Wonderful

We love the spacious lot sizes and the ones right on the lake are perfect. Rustic, so there is that, but absolutely relaxing. ORV friendly.

Refreshing overnight stay

Enjoyed our overnight stay at this clean fairground. It had everything we needed for tent camping. The cool northern Michigan air felt refreshing as well as watching the seagulls & Canadian geese. Adequate showers & restroom. Will stay here again.

Annual Trip

Family goes there every year. Campground offers many amenities and with the river right on site there is so much to do. We always go tubing and kayaking. Bathrooms and showers are decent for a campground. Also love that there are a lot of trees to provide shade during the hot days.

Gem on the tip of The Thumb

This park is in a great location—The Thumb felt quite isolated. There are some pretty rad sites right on Lake Huron—unfortunately, we were on site 41 which buts right up against a main road and it got quite loud at times (especially on the weekends). Bathrooms were good for a state park. The beach was a little small, but water levels are high this year. DNR staff were pleasant, helpful and good at being present. Firewood is for sale at the gate for $5 a bundle. This campground is close to Caseville, Bad Axe and Port Austin where I would recommend renting a kayak and checking out Turnip Rock (only accessible by H2O). This park didn’t get a full 5 stars because of the proximity to the road (which wasn’t really that bad…). Great Park!

Amazing AWESOME‼️‼️one of my favorite place.CAMP,HIKE ETC..

The AUSABLE RIVER .. the last 25 miles of river before it empties into Lake Huron.. I love it ‼️‼️Super AWESOME PLACE TO EXPLORE the outdoors hike camp backpack etc… a must if you love tho out doors THE VIEWS ARE AMAZING‼️‼️‼️one can hike and backpack the many trials in the surrounding area and set up camp,tents (small fires as long the fire are managed and taken care of)..Bring in your own camping gear for a wonderful very rustic experience👍👍 remember WHAT YOU BRING IN, (example trash) you take out and take care of👌

Rowdy over the 4th

I camped in one of the rustic campgrounds over a holiday weekend and it got a little too rowdy for my tastes. This was just a stop for us on the way home, maybe if we had planned to canoe or kayak down the river, I would’ve left with higher regard for this campground. I know a lot of people like it, but it’s just not for me.

ORV Site

Fairly large state forest rustic campground, relatively clean toilets and a water pump. There are a few sites on the lake and a boat launch. Sites have tables, pits and trees. They are also well separated with trees. Pretty easy access to the campground and the place was clean. The trailhead is maybe 1/8th of a mile down the only road in and trails were fun on the bike. I’ve also woken up to families of deer feeding in the sites next to me more than once.

ORV Haven

Good, clean and quiet site with pits and tables. Water pump is freezing cold, bathrooms are clean, and a creek down the trail is nice to step in. I ride dirt bikes, trails are tons of fun with lots of options and connector trails very far. There is also a direct 9 mile trail into closest town with a gas station/campground that offers 2$ showers, laundry, beer and cheap but good all you can eat breakfast buffet on weekends!

Negwegon State Park site 3, Pewabic

Sand, pine trees, vault toilet, fire ring, gorgeous views, serenity, bear pole - my family adores this place. It is possibly the nicest camping we've done in Michigan. Water filter is a MUST unless you want to walk to the parking lot every time you need potable water. None of us ever got sick drinking the filtered lake water. Kayaking and canoeing in is easy. We have walked in, too. Having a wheeled cart is nice for bringing in large family-sized tents and other heavier items.