About Port Crescent State Park
Port Crescent State Park is located in Michigan
12 Reviews of Port Crescent State Park
We’ll be back!

First time staying here. Great campground. Sandy beach. Swimming is great! Sites are close and driving through campground is tight. Cell and tv signal is limited. Pictures are from site 92

Introduction to Camping

I organized a camping trip for my best friend's birthday - who's never been camping before.  I couldn't have asked for a better campground or area to introduce her to the hobby.  We chose a shady, rustic site that was decent in size - fire ring and picnic table provided.  The private beach was our favorite feature of the campground.  The sand was white and soft with a volleyball net; it was never too crowded.  There is a ton of things to do in the area: hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, horseback riding and a Dark Sky Preserve.

The bathroom facilities were large and obviously cleaned regularly.  There are shower rooms for added privacy (I'd suggest water shoes or flip flops for the shower rooms.)

It's very family friendly and people were respectful when darkness fell in regards to volume.  The only setback for me was that it was very crowded, but not more so than the average loop campground sites.  It's just personal preference to do dispersed camping.  Perfect for families or someone who's never been camping before to see what it's all about!

Book early

Probably one of the most popular state parks in Michigan, and for good reason. Most of the park is located on the water and the views are pretty gorgeous. The sites are small, so we usually book two. The grounds offer bathrooms and showers, as well as electric and water for RVs. No rustic options available, so all sites are $35 per night. The campground is located only a few short minutes from the launch site for Turnip Rock, so it’s become very popular for weekend trips.

Gem on the tip of The Thumb

This park is in a great location—The Thumb felt quite isolated. There are some pretty rad sites right on Lake Huron—unfortunately, we were on site 41 which buts right up against a main road and it got quite loud at times (especially on the weekends). Bathrooms were good for a state park. The beach was a little small, but water levels are high this year. DNR staff were pleasant, helpful and good at being present. Firewood is for sale at the gate for $5 a bundle. This campground is close to Caseville, Bad Axe and Port Austin where I would recommend renting a kayak and checking out Turnip Rock (only accessible by H2O). This park didn’t get a full 5 stars because of the proximity to the road (which wasn’t really that bad…). Great Park!

One of my favorite campgrounds growing up and still is to this day.

Been coming here for over 20 years and still love it.

Great family camp!

Great campground at the top of Michigan's thumb. Close to fishing, kayaking and a great beach.

Good camping

Very very busy campground. I don’t think there was an open site while we were there. Our site was right near the playground, and although we have no kids it was not bothersome AT ALL surprisingly. They have a few cabins to rent that have decent privacy. As well as bathrooms and showers —not the nicest but definitely bearable. Hiked to the water that was clean and easy to swim in and walk in with bare feet, too!

All the comforts of Lake Life

My family and I have been here many times. The proximity to the water can't be beat. Canoe and kayak rental locations are a short way away, as are the town and local focal points. Save room for dessert at The Farm, a fine dining experience just a mile away from the campground with world class food.

Never have been to Port Austin, wanted to check it out for myself. My boyfriend and I had our first date traveling there. I had heard there was an old ghost town around there, check it out. We put up a tent, talked under the stars it was absolutely gorgeous. Can not wait to come back and stay again for our anniversary! Camp ground is quiet, very large spots, from what I remember they have bathrooms! Very cheap!

Great staff and check in, busy campground!

Port Crescent is a clean and comfortable campground with great lake views even from sites not on the water. It's also an extremely busy campground so not a place to find silence and solitude, nevertheless with Michigan's state park booking system it's a great option!