the dyrt
Alma, MICHIGAN
Most Recent Alma Camping Reviews
Beautiful no wake lake! Great for kyaking.

Nice camping. Great lake for fishing, swimming, kyaking or small boating. Scenic views on trails around the lake. Not too far so the kids can fallow along.

Nice local getaway

Fishing is good here for some largemouth bass,and huge blueguils. Lots of traffic being so close to City, but good day excursion

Very nice campground on the cedar river, nice pavillion, playground, camping cabins, RV and tent sites

Very nice campground, river us nice for swimming, mostly shallow, good for kids, canoeing and kayaking also.

A Great Family Park

Swim area is great… You can go 200 ft. out before it gets deep… Hayrides and movies on the weekend…

Family friendly

Pretty sites, clean bathrooms, tons of things for kids to do! Kayaking, swimming, playground. Ice cream at the camp store.

Quiet with lots to do

There are many things that my family enjoys doing at the Ionia State Rec Area. Some of our favorites are hiking, camping, fishing, and the beach. We try to get here a couple of times each year.

Rustic

very quiet and secluded, nice get away, #11 is the best spot

Great for a county park

This is a great county park

Fun Adventure

September 9th 2017 I hosted a Kayak/Canoe trip and we used this location for our landing and camping. It was a great little location that even had some river side cabins you could rent.

The amount of nature was overwhelming. Lots of turtles and ducks to be seen.

The staff was friendly and aviable when needed, was very welcoming as they did live on site. I will be returning to this location.

great place for familys, good lake swimming, great playground for kids,

They have seasonal sites as well as overnight camping and everything in between. great shaded lots great private showers and a safe building in case of extremely bad weather.

Worth the Hike

You can access by boat or its a 1 mile hike. very peaceful, there is only 10 site and pit toliets.

Lots of nature, seen a lot of colorful fungas. we did 2 kayak trips while we stayed and was great to have landing so near sites.

I do recommend going by boat as the hike with gear will wear you out.

We are making this a yearly trip as it was such a good time. other campers mingled with us as a great time was had by all

One of the coolest things I couldn't get a picture of, there is a bioluminescent fungas out there. at night we seen some blue chips glowing, upon unvetigatio it was from wood we had chopped. we found a log that was full of it. it's pictured but at day so you can't see its blue glow.

Great Events

I attended a Kayak for a concert event here. The event was a blast.

Camping was nice, site where clean as well as bathrooms where above par.

The river offered was a nice semi urban views. We pulled 18 tires out of the river on this event.

Peaceful and Rustic

3rd night here in mid September and it's very peaceful, there is a nearby gun range but you can barley hear.

Some of the trials are hard to find, but this disc golf here is one of the best courses I have played.

The little views along the Hiking path are great. They say the can only fit 30 foot rvs but I was able to get my 33 foot in 2 sites. about 5 sites I seen can accommodate larger rvs.

Beautiful Park

Rangers working the area are very friendly. Many options to choose from in terms of camping, from rustic, tent to fully functional cabin lodging. The park is very large, so it is always good to have a vehicle able to drive to the trails and beach. Campsites are decent sized, can fit probably 3 four person tents per site, which includes a concrete firepit and picnic table. In the north campsites there is a lot of tree covering, and there are a lot of walnut trees that were shedding a lot this time of the year. Bathrooms are well spaced between the campsites you, and have showers along with some vending machines outside of them. Spigots are scattered throughout and are very accessible. Be sure to bring at least 100 feet of extension chord if you want electricity, because the power ports are not as accessible from some areas. Overall very pleasant campground.

Nature is where it's at

I frequent this park if I am camping or not. decent disc gof course and access to Lake Ovid is great, miles of trails to hike/bike/ride horses. Hosts are very friendly and is always a joy to talk with the rangers

Great for the Family

This place is great for the family, lots of events on the weekend including fireworks or movies on there big screen. Nice private beach and they even have floating trampoline to play on.

I think the lake is fully private so no license required to fish. and it's stocked.

They have some nice little cabins and pontoon boats you can rent.

Had to Come Back

this was such a nice place to kick back and relax that I had to return. plus I had to make use of my annual county park pass I bought! ($25 for the year). Perfect place to do some fishing since they have a fish cleaning station and lots of access to lots of water!! Also a nice place for kayaking. water was calm, beaches were sandy, and firewood was plentiful.

Great Camping

One of the best times camping we’ve ever had. Loved the campsite! Would highly recommend this park! Good, scenic hiking trails…with lots to explore!

Rustic but fun

Rustic feel as all sites are electric but no water hook up. There are spigots in the center as well as a dump station and potable water fill. My family has camped here for years as it is close to home. They sell fire wood and the bath houses are cleaned multiple times as day and the showers are usually pretty warm as well. Great place to camp as a group. A few different play grounds and a full beach across the road.

Small but comfortable

We stayed there for a wedding that was taking place down the road. While it is mostly a seasonal campground we felt quite at home as there are many friendly faces. Only water and electric hook up but fairly big sites. Bath house and shower located up front with dump station as well. We will definitely be back. They try to get the entire campground involved and do bonfires at the office each night.

beautiful state park

could spend hours just adventuring around this park, its so beautiful. love camping here tons, its always nice and quiet and everything is well taken care of

Family Friendly

I used to work at this state park for two years and really enjoyed my time there. I spent many nights there with family and coworkers. The staff is very friendly and they patrol all through the night to ensure safety and noise control. The sites vary from close together, to secluded. It is easy to camp in a group with sites all close to each other, or to be off on your own. the bathrooms on the campground side are very clean. They are newer and updated and are cleaned 2-3 times a day or more as needed. The visitor side has less updated bathrooms, making them appear more dirty, but they are cleaned 4-6 times a day at the least. These bathrooms are also close to the beach, so sand makes it seem dirty as well. Sites vary in size, allowing tents or large rvs to be in most spaces. This campground does get very full most weekends Memorial Day through Labor Day, especially around the 4th of July. Bay city has lots to do and the visitor side has plenty of interesting programs for kids to do. swimming is iffy, as the city closes the beach depending on bacteria in the water and which way the wind is blowing it on a given day. The water is not clean (not the parks fault). there is a splash pad for younger children to enjoy though. There are no water sites. you must cross a relatively busy road to get to the visitor side where the beach/splash pad/visitor center is.

Large Family Fun Campground

There is something for everyone here. Tent, camper, or RV and fun for all ages with everything from 3 playgrounds, basketball courts, volleyball courts, and tennis courts, to a boat launch, fishing pier, and fish cleaning station. There is also a fairly large swimming area. The showers are actually nice and clean! The restrooms were surprisingly clean and modern as well. Firewood is available in bundles or loose and you stack it yourself. There are numerous picnic areas throughout the campground. There are picnic tables and fire rings at every site and hook up such as electric and water vary. Kids are riding their bikes all over, fishing, playing at playgrounds, the beach, everywhere. Everyone was very friendly. You probably don’t necessarily need a sleeping pad or air mat if you’re in a tent, but they’re always nice. The mosquitos weren’t bad at all! We stayed at site #226. You do need a county park pass, $6/day until 10pm or $25/year.

Beautiful, quiet, peaceful.

We came back to Sleepy Hollow and stayed in sites A&B with our girl scout troop. It was a totally different experience than when I stayed in site C earlier this year. The site is level, beautiful, and poison-ivy free. It was well-maintained, and we enjoyed every minute. It was very quiet, and there are very few lights in the area, so we had a great view of the sky. I would highly recommend this site.

Call to reserve

I had a little lack of communication with the online reservation system but the park made up for it. Sites are nice sized, we camped in the back and enjoyed less congestion but even up front the sites were nice too. May want to brIng extra water hose as water hook ups can be farther away than expected. Park is neat and kept up. It attaches to the city’s river walk which makes walking into town safe and easy. Nice playground area.

Great walking trail

Nice campground, a lot of local / seasonal but the park is maintained very nicely. Good place for quiet camping and a great walking trail back to the bay through the marsh.

Not our favorite

Site was difficult to back into - small tree clipped our mirror. Swimming pond crowded and green and mucky. Kids liked video games - lots of seasonal with golf carts.

Saginaw Bay

Nice campground that is open year round. Sites are large, most are shady and have establIshed trees. Some sites in the center of the campground can get wet after heavy rain. You have to cross the road to go to the bay, and after this year’s crazy spring the shoreline has a nice beach. Spray park and play ground are nice for the kids.

Pleasant feel

I simply enjoy it!

Nice smaller campground with a small beach.

The sites are not marked well, if at all, so don't come when it's dark. It's hilly and quiet.