About Big Knob
Max Length: 40 ft.
Big Knob is located in Michigan
7 Reviews of Big Knob
Right on lake Michigan

We really liked this campground.  We were there in early October and we had the place just about to ourselves.  Right on Lake Michigan, the only sounds you hear are the lake.  The road in is long but well graded.  Most of the sites are only suitable for short trailers but there are a couple that will handle up to 35' or so.

There is a nice hiking loop trail right from the campground.  It does not get much use as it's a bit hard to follow but well worth it.

We did have cell service but not enough to really do anything with.

One of my Favorite Places

Big Knob is a rustic campground nestled next to Lake Michigan on the southern side of Michigan’s upper peninsula. My grandmother used to take my brother and I there every year when we were young. My favorite mornings started with the smell of the forest and sea fog, and a cup of coffee before heading out to pick wild blueberries for pancakes, or a stroll on the beach during sunrise with grandma before we might have to share it.

When I pump water from the old hand pump, I remember how my twin brother and I always wanted to be the first to pump the water every year. It was so cool as a kid.

Everyone visiting the campground always seems on the friendlier and more respectful side than I’ve experienced at some of the larger campgrounds out west. There is plenty of privacy when you want to look up at the stars, watch the sunset, or watch it rise. (Either by yourself or with a special someone.) The campers are friendly if you need to borrow an egg or half stick of butter, or need a challenger at lawn darts or a partner for Euchre.

My grandmother in her later years tried to take her large motor home there and it was a tight fit and branches and such mildly damaged the unit. We were all laughing, except for my grandmother who was driving and could barely see over the steering wheel. We never returned with the large motor home, and instead continued to use a small burro trailer and a tent. The grounds say less than 40’, but I’d say anything that big will have an interesting time settling in. I’d recommend something shorter, or be prepared for a tight fit if any.

There are trails not too far away, and pine needle thatched forest to wonder. It’s difficult to get lost because there’s the Lake Michigan, and all the streams flowing into it. As young children, my grandmother could let me and my brother explore for hours knowing that we would be able to find our way back … and those late nights that took a while to find home, there were enough wild blueberries that we weren’t going to starve.

I must advise that these Big Knob wild blueberries come with a warning: they are so tasty that they will wreck blueberries for the rest of your life. You will be forced to compare every blueberry you ever taste to a Big Knob wild blueberry. So I would recommend that you do not to eat any of the wild blueberries. (So then there are more for me.) They are simply too good.

Next season I will be putting some of my grandmother’s ashes to rest at Big Knob with my brother and father. Big Knob was her most favorite place, and she has passed her love of it to my brother and I. This is the only place that she asked for some ashes to go, and I can’t think of a better place.

Loved it

I’ve stayed here 3 times now. It is a long drive off of US-2. But it’s normally not busy and you’re not camping on top of each other . It’s a great spot to stop the first or last night coming or going from the UP

Lake Michigan Access

Long drive off HW2, felt longer than 6 miles. Sites are small but some to back up to Lake Michigan but not flat. I think going to Hogs Island is a better campground. It is quiet and no highway noise. Perfect for one night to sit on the beach. Very buggy! Outhouses are clean and cell reception with Verizon is 2 bars which is nice. I see bigger campers here but wouldn’t personally go bigger than my 13 ft.

Lake Michigan Access

Quite, rustic campground, off the beaten path

Rustic, well pump water, vaulted toilets. There are 23 campsite all within close walking distance to the water, bug spray is a must.

We have camped here for 7 years and look forward to coming back each year. We do camp on non-holiday weekends to avoid crowds. This camp ground is always fairly empty. In seven years we have seen maybe a total of 9 other sites occupied.

There are hiking trails that have some beautiful scenery (bring bug spray) and a beach front that is just amazing. Depending on the water level there is plenty of beach and great for a day in the water.

Perfect place for tent camping but it can also accommodated small to medium RV/campers.

This place is great for relaxation and getting in touch with nature.

Beautiful rustic campground on secluded Lake Michigan beach

Rustic campground along the shores of Lake Michigan. 23 sites. Hand pump for water available. Beautiful spot on Lake Michigan with no signs of life for miles down the beach. Pets are welcome. Fire pits are available. Seven sights are along the lake. Six mile drive down a dirt road to access the campground. The road is usually in good condition. It is well worth it. An extremely peaceful and beautiful place.

Year 2021 Flag