the dyrt
About Algonac State Park
Camping near Algonac State Park? Be prepared for some great outdoor fun and some crowds in this popular destination near the Canadian border. With two modern campgrounds right off of the St. Clair River, Algonac campers can enjoy water access, hiking and biking trails, and even an archery range on site. These field-style sites can feel a little exposed, but with so much to get into in Algonac State Park, many campers find the experience more than worth it. Visitors are welcome to Algonac year-round, which allows them to experience everything from sport fishing in Lake St. Clair to snowmobiling across Michigan’s thumb. Pick your favorite site from the nearly 300 options in Algonac State Park and take advantage of the northern wilderness.
Drive In, Walk In
Algonac State Park is located in Michigan
13 Reviews of Algonac State Park
Algonac state park rocks!

Minutes from Algonac….An hour from the big city, but seems a world away! The river is right across the street and you can wake up to freighters going by at dawn and go to sleep as their lights glide by.

Parking lot

This campground was nice and well kept but BUSY. Every time I have been here it has been packed. There isn't much space between the sites so it kind of feels like you are on top of each other. I wouldn't come back here if I didn't have to. If you like more rustic camping, this place is not for you.

Clean, comfortable and on the St. Clair River

The the campground is relatively flat, many spaces to choose from, very catering to RV and travel trailer. They do have a primitive area for tent campers. The bathrooms are absolutely beautiful. The staff very helpful, activities planned during many weekend throughout the year. Rates are wonderful and who wouldn't like to wake up staring at the st. Clair River

Lots of fun things to do around! 🎣🚤🚴🏼‍♀️

I really recommend to rent a fishing boat and spend the day at Harsens Island! 🚤🎣☀️

Beautifully kept if not totally 'removed'

Great campground with access to the beautiful St. Clair River as it runs between Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair.

When booking I suggest looking at the site map and choosing a site well off the road, its a busy throughway and the noise can be distracting, especially in summer months.

Great trails throughout the park!

State Park on the St Clair River in Algonac, MI

Algonac State Park has 2 modern campgrounds. The River campground has a front row seat to passing freighters all day and night. There is an archery range, trap range, 1200-acre dedicated natural area, hiking, and fishing. They also have winter camping but no bathrooms or water is available.

Do you want to see the freighters??

If you can get a River View site its is awesome. Freighters come by at all times of the day. Most sites are sunny. Sites closer to the shower house are closer together and some trees. There is also the "Wagon Well". You'll feel like you are in the woods. Sites are close together.

Bike trail runs through the park. Gun range and archery range on site. A couple short hiking trails.

Showers and restrooms keep very clean

Halloween weekends are a blast. Expect a ton of kids.

love it!

go every year memorial weekend. nice park with good trails too. shooting and archery range. wish there was more beach but it’s still great!

Not much for trees or shade

This park is a little different than most State parks as it is right off a main road and it doesn’t give that outdoorsy feel. The campground has a nice entrance as when you pull in, you can see the volleyball courts and park/day use area. The campground has green grass and was very appealing to the eyes. The roads are paved, however in very bad shape. The bathhouse was modern and in the center of the campground with easy access from all sites. You can see the Saint Clair river across the road. I assume that is why they built this campground so close to the road in order to see the water. They do have trails for walking and an archery section. The workers were very nice. I am not so sure I would stay at this campground again as it didn’t really have a campground feel to me. I like to see trees and have some shade, but this didn’t really give us that option.

Coming Home

My husband and I stayed at this campground on our way home from Canada. Essentially this was our last resort campground because all the other ones that we had been close to our full. As we continue down our list of calling campgrounds this was the one that was still available. At first sight we were unimpressed but upon arrival of our campsite which was located in the Wagonwheel segment turned out not to be so bad.