Standard (Tent/RV)
Equestrian
About Elk Neck

Elk Neck State Park is located in Cecil County on a peninsula, formed by the Chesapeake Bay on the west and the Elk River on the east. It makes for great camping near Washington. The park has 2,370 acres of land and includes 250 campsites, 4 youth group sites and 15 cabins. Varied landscapes include marshlands, heavily wooded areas, white clay cliffs, and sandy shorelines.

Elk Neck State Park is divided into four areas. Turkey Point Lighthouse is located at the southern tip of the Elk Neck Peninsula. North East Beach Area and Picnic Shelters is a popular day-use area located in the western portion of the park and features a swimming area, canoe/kayak launch, picnic shelters, picnic tables, and grills. Rogues Harbor Boat Launch Facility offers public boating access to the Elk River, and fishing piers. The Elk River Camping Area is located on the eastern portion of the peninsula and offers over 250 campsites, 15 cabins (9 mini/camper cabins and 6 rustic cabins), a youth group camping area, park store, playground, and a nature center.

Price
Max Length: 32 ft.
Elk Neck is located in Maryland
30 Reviews of Elk Neck
Great Site, Plenty of Trails

We went camping over Memorial Day weekend with our friends. Our sites were a decent distance apart but most other sites were closer. Good bathrooms and showers and plenty of hiking trails. Our 2.5 year old was able to hike most of the Turkey Point Lighthouse trail on his own. Definitely take the trail through the woods for one leg of the hike, either to the lighthouse or back.

simple and fun

This campground is excellent for anyone that newer to camping or want to experience some slight ~glamping~. You can reserve your site online and get full details on its location. The campgrounds themselves are very easy to navigate and maps are provided at the ranger station to make it easier. There is also a store near the entrance of the park that has everything you might have forgotten or never know you needed, including incredible and eco-friendly fire starters. The facilities are very clean and get the job done. Overall, I had a great time camping and hiking here and would definitely visit again!

Nice quiet camping

I just went with my family of 4 and we had a great time. We stayed in the Wye loop (tents only - no electricity), which had single sites with enough room for up to 6 people. The sites are kinda close together, but everyone was quiet at night so it wasn't a problem. My kids (ages 8 and 6) made friends with kids at other sites and they enjoyed running around playing together.

The playground in this loop is not much - just swings and one metal semi-circle they can climb on. Although there is a much nicer playground near the camp store. The fire wood we purchased from the camp store was wet and we had a hard time getting it to burn.

The bathrooms and showers were nice, clean, and always stocked with toilet paper. We did not have an outdoor sink for washing dishes, so I used the spigot that many people used to fill up their water jugs (note for next time - bring jugs to fill at the water spout!). The camp host informed me they are slowly adding them, and the Chester and Sassafras loops have one so far.

There was plenty to do during the day at the park. We "hiked" (really, just walked) to the Turkey Point lighthouse and went to the swimming beach. The water had seaweed and sticks floating in it, and rocks along the bottom (I'd recommend swimming shoes, although lots of kids didn't seem to mind the rocks on their bare feet), but my kids enjoyed making a sand castle on the beach.

Overall, this was a great trip and we would go back.

Quality views from campsites

Campsites on the Choptank, Miles, Elk loop bring you right next to the water. Gorgeous view, and only a few minute hike over to stony point. There's a sandy beach there that provides a relaxing environment to kick back.

Beautiful wooded campground with water access.

This is a beautiful wooded campground with sites that have water and electric some are primitive. There are areas for motorhome and trailers and tenting areas. Many different areas to camp. Bath houses at various locations. There are also playground areas. Many, many trails to hike and ranger programs to attend. Also an area for large groups. Camp store is opened seasonally. There is access to the Elk River. Paved roads throughout.

Large park with beautiful views, in a great location

Came here for the day to enjoy the beach, check out the campgrounds, and scout for a potential family reunion location. The beach area was beautiful, and not nearly as crowded as other MD State Park swimming beaches, even on a weekend. Was also nice to be on the actual bay, as opposed to a man-made lake. The water was pretty calm, and felt very refreshing, but was full of seaweed. The bottom was also quite pebbly, so I'd recommend water shoes. Nice playground and picnic shelter. We drove through a few of the camping loops, and they looked very nice and well-maintained. There is also a beautiful (and popular!) lighthouse accessible by foot, but the parking lot at the trailhead often fills to capacity, so get there early! That was the case with us, so we were turned away. Nevertheless, we had a great time, and were all set to host the reunion here, but then learned that they were planning some major renovations to the picnic shelters and a few camping loops in the months leading up to our event. We hope to return next year to camp, once said renovations have been completed!

Practically grew up here

My family went here every year for vacation when I was growing up. I have continued the tradition with my children and hope when the time comes they will with their own.

Great View

Went out to Elk Neck State Park with my mom for the day. We had a pretty good time checking out the lighthouse and walking along the shore finding shells.

Good hiking with little ones

We came here for some day hiking (and geocaching) with our little ones, and we're not disappointed. Trails were clearly marked, and not too rough for our 2 year old. Then, after hiking we spent a little bit of time at the beach. Views were nice out onto the Chesapeake bay. Store personnel were very helpful in letting us know what was available. The camp store had a decent selection of staples, as well as some bird watching books. Overall good experience.

yuck

This was probably my least favorite camping experience. The sites are very close together, there were kids playing in the bathroom constantly, the "lake" was gross and too small for the amount of people swimming. There was little access to trails for natural areas for fishing or just viewing. Our entire group came back with Chiggers as well. Would not recommend.