The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
University Place , LOUISIANA

Most Recent University Place Camping Reviews
Great stop for NOLA sightseeing

This state park is really pretty, full of lush Spanish moss trees, hiking trails, and historic markers.(although finding out this was a plantation for 150 slaves was unpleasant).

It’s only 45 mins to New Orleans so it’s a great place to stop, drop, and sightsee for the day.

It had full hook ups available. Free WiFi even. The spots are level and concrete… and nicely spaced. There are picnic tables and grills available for use too.

Careful - when it rains, it floods.

Excellent state park near Mandeville, LA.

Traveled in 44 foot motorhome and Jeep toad, this site, first one in new section did not require me to unhook. Although my site only had water and 50 A, there are other sites that are back in with full hook ups and cement pads. Picnic table and fire pits are available. I also saw a few deer roaming around.

Busy but pretty

Tons of RVs here while I was camped, but I understand why. Community seemed really nice.

Good Verizon cell service.

The park is lovely and goes right up onto the lakes beach. Long hiking trails take you through the woods and marsh land. Saw a couple deer, turtles, and a nutria. Dog loved it.

Bring bug spray or citronella. They will swarm you. Campsites are nice. Laundry, showers and toilets were fine.

Clean and quite

Nice camp ground, top side rv sites have sewage connections lower sites near river do not have sewage connections. No rv sites are on the river but lower sites are on small lakes. These were gravel pits at one time. Nice trails for hiking with large beach access on river.

Short history about area. The movie Deadman walking with Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon is loosely based on this area. State of LA vs Robert Lee Willie

Beautiful but soggy

We went on a weekend after it had rained all week. There wasn’t a dry spot to be found. The bathrooms were cleaned every morning. Sites were pretty close together, but the campground was clean. I would like to see it in summer when it is drier. They offer a discount for the Access Pass holders, but only if you are a Louisiana resident. They don’t detail that on the website.

Bad for tent campers

In a basic sense the facilities worked and things were organized well but the park is kind of dumpy.. However, sites were paved pull ins with nothing but low lying grass around them. I was lucky enough to foresee the flooding potential and put my tent on the asphalt pad, because an inch of overnight rain flooded everything around it. That said, the asphalt was lumpy and my sleep uncomfortable.

Beautiful Park with plentiful wildlife!

We stayed here December 4-6 and the rangers on site were all more than friendly and helpful. The great: the park is amazingly large and long trails. Upon first parking at our campsite, we were greeted by maybe 15-20 deer and yes, a few will approach you. Maybe bring some corn so the kids can feed the deer. You may also see opossums and plenty of birds! All day and night, the bellowing croaks of the bullfrogs are to me, relaxing and making it feel more like camping. Going to sleep, we could hear the frogs through the night and I believe it was one of my best nights sleep.

The not so ugly, but may want to be aware: We had pull through spot 8 and the hookups are not in the best spot in my opinion. We have a 41’ Class A DP and the spot was plenty large, but the hookups (only electric and water) are set where they are opposite side of the bus hookups. This is not a huge issue if you have an extra water hose, but my one water hose did not reach and 2 were required. Driving in, the spot numbers are on post in the center of the pull through spots and you cannot see them until you pass the entry point. Simply facing the campsite number to the incoming traffic would remedy this and not require passing your campsite to see if it’s yours. Most all sites do not have sewage. There is a dump at the exit and upon leaving, there was a line waiting to use. That’s fine, but I did not need to dump sewage and was stuck waiting for others to use it as I could not exit due to exit being blocked. Even with these little issues, I would still be back in a heartbeat due to the amazing beauty of this park!

Our First RV Trip

We just bought our first RV a 32’ class C. I booked a premium site with sewer. The campground was very clean and well kept. My site was relatively level and was easy to back into. The only minor issue I had is the sites are very close to each other, I would prefer to have more room between them. We went to the pier on the lake front and also hiked one of the many trails. All and all it was a very good outing and I would camp there again.

Choot’m

This place is crawling with gators in the lower portion on the lakes. Hey this is south Louisiana. Tubing down the River is a big attraction. Nice park.

Quiet and clean with nice trails

Staff was very friendly when making reservations by phone.  Park was clean and the sites while gravel, were easy to maneuver.  Bath houses were clean.