The best GROUP camping near
Buckhorn , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Buckhorn Camping Reviews
Pipes froze over, no running water

Camped for a few days in late March for a climbing trip (no fires at Miguels). It snowed the pipes froze over so none of the facilities were working. I'm sure it's super nice in the summer.

Centrally located

Corbin n/Laurel Lake KOA

First! Do not trust your navigation. Once you get off the interstate look for the KOA signs. Your navigation will take you in a completely different direction for some reason.

This was my second time staying at the Corbin/Laurel lake KOA. The best thing about it as far as I can see is it is centrally located to several state parks. It is also on the edge of Corbin south area plenty of amenities nearby. The interstate is also very nearby which adds some pros and cons; pro easy access for traveling; con constant white noise.

This is an older KOA. Very well-maintained they are in the process of adding more spaces towards the back. When they are allowed to open it they have a swimming pool there is also a small campground kitchen near the office.

This is one of the first KOA‘s I’ve been to that has good Wi-Fi. I could actually live stream. I have not been able to do that in any other KOA this trip.

nice and primitive

This was a nice, quiet and primitive campground. The sites were nice and spread out. The bathrooms were clean. I would definitely return to hike some of the trails.

Nicest People You Will Ever Meet

If you are looking for a clean campground with great amenities and some of friendliest people you will ever meet you have to try Callie’s Campground!! They have a country store that serves meals and carries supplies you might have forgotten. They have everything from full service to primitive. Each camper site comes with a fire ring and picnic table.

A Must Visit in the Red

This was our very first camping experience as a family in the Red River Gorge.

I can't say enough how accommodating and helpful Callie and her team were during our visit. The shop was well stocked, the cafe food was clutch, and the site and campground is beautiful.

We had just purchased a used popup camper and booked a site at Callie's based on a friend's recommendation. We arrived and had no clue what to do. So Callie (yes, Callie of Callie's Campground) talked us through how it all works. We were hooked up and had the a/c on (we camped in July) in no time.

We did however learn that our camper had some plumbing issues and was leaking pretty badly while hooked up to the water connection. I brought this up to Callie later in the afternoon and she gave me the name of a local person who works on campers (who ended up being absolutely salt-of-the-earth awesome and helped our camper be good as new).

We tried our hand at fishing but I think it was too hot for the fish to bite. The campground is easy to hike and beautiful. Did I mention we brought our two golden retrievers? Yeah, that was interesting but we learned a lot and overall I'd say they did well. However we have since decided that while we go camping the dogs would greater benefit from staying with a sitter:)

Again, this is a must-stay place when visiting the Gorge. And you can blame me for loving it;)

Cheers,

Chris

Hanson’s Point

Hanson’s point at the red river gorge is often called the best view of the Gorge. To get to Hanson’s point you’ll have to earn it by hiking for about 2.5 miles, but trust me when I say it’s worth it. The campsites at Hanson’s Point are primitive campsites, so make sure you bring EVERYTHING you need for your stay. Here are the coordinates to the parking lot. Type in the coordinates into your GPS and it will take you right to it!

37.80528, -83.65528

To easily stay on the trial, I recommend downloading the AllTrails apps. Enjoy!

Koomer Ridge Camp

A great first experience camping with our pup. He’s a little too cautious with strangers and dogs so having the other campsite at a distance is a huge preference for us. The campsites were nice and well maintained. There was sufficient bathrooms and every time we went in them they were clean. The camp is close to the trail so if you plan to hike all the way up to the arch this is a pretty decent place to start.

Nice Campground Near the Red River Gorge

This was a nice campground near the red river gorge. My friends and I stayed at a primitive campsite # 10. I’m not sure if the numbers really mattered because I didn’t see any clear listing of numbers and they told me when I arrived if I can’t find a spot with a fire ring then to text them and they would come out and build one where I was camping. But my spot had a rock fire ring, a picnic table, a small charcoal grill, and a lamp post. We were some what close to other campsites but our site had enough trees surrounding it to make it fairly private. This is a great family campground, they had small lake (I’d call it a pond) for swimming and fishing (it was $5 for an adult to fish, and catch and release only.) There was a play ground for the kids. They had a small store with camping supplies and they served food. Staff seemed to be pretty friendly as well. It looks like before Covid they would have fire works and live bands.

Great for climbers

Good bathrooms great cleaning area camp sites are not designated you just put a tent where you want and sleep over all good time

Tarr Ridge

The Tarr Ridge parking area is located on highway 77 on Tarr ridge rd in the red river gorge. Here are the coordinates for the parking lot. 37.85293, -83.64191 Just type it in your gps system and it will take you straight there! From the parking lot I suggest using the ALL TRAILS app to stay on the right trail. Here are the coordinates for the lookout at Tarr Ridge 37.83655, -83.63935.

The hike in is around 2 miles and pretty flat for the most part. It’s totally worth it once you see the view!

Don’t forget to stop at the Shell gas station in Slade Ky to get your parking permit. Enjoy!