The best BOAT IN camping near
Buckhorn , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Buckhorn Camping Reviews
Pipes froze over, no running water

Camped for a few days in late March for a climbing trip (no fires at Miguels). It snowed the pipes froze over so none of the facilities were working. I'm sure it's super nice in the summer.

Centrally located

Corbin n/Laurel Lake KOA

First! Do not trust your navigation. Once you get off the interstate look for the KOA signs. Your navigation will take you in a completely different direction for some reason.

This was my second time staying at the Corbin/Laurel lake KOA. The best thing about it as far as I can see is it is centrally located to several state parks. It is also on the edge of Corbin south area plenty of amenities nearby. The interstate is also very nearby which adds some pros and cons; pro easy access for traveling; con constant white noise.

This is an older KOA. Very well-maintained they are in the process of adding more spaces towards the back. When they are allowed to open it they have a swimming pool there is also a small campground kitchen near the office.

This is one of the first KOA‘s I’ve been to that has good Wi-Fi. I could actually live stream. I have not been able to do that in any other KOA this trip.

nice and primitive

This was a nice, quiet and primitive campground. The sites were nice and spread out. The bathrooms were clean. I would definitely return to hike some of the trails.

Hanson’s Point

Hanson’s point at the red river gorge is often called the best view of the Gorge. To get to Hanson’s point you’ll have to earn it by hiking for about 2.5 miles, but trust me when I say it’s worth it. The campsites at Hanson’s Point are primitive campsites, so make sure you bring EVERYTHING you need for your stay. Here are the coordinates to the parking lot. Type in the coordinates into your GPS and it will take you right to it!

37.80528, -83.65528

To easily stay on the trial, I recommend downloading the AllTrails apps. Enjoy!

Koomer Ridge Camp

A great first experience camping with our pup. He’s a little too cautious with strangers and dogs so having the other campsite at a distance is a huge preference for us. The campsites were nice and well maintained. There was sufficient bathrooms and every time we went in them they were clean. The camp is close to the trail so if you plan to hike all the way up to the arch this is a pretty decent place to start.

Nice clean campground

A group of 6 campers on our way to the East Coast stayed over in Grove Campground, part of the Daniel Boone National Forrest. We stayed 2 nights in our site B12 and enjoyed the stay. Although COVID had bathroom closed, we brought our own. We had a great time exploring the area including Cumberland Falls. We would go back if ever in that neck of the woods again!

Tarr Ridge

The Tarr Ridge parking area is located on highway 77 on Tarr ridge rd in the red river gorge. Here are the coordinates for the parking lot. 37.85293, -83.64191 Just type it in your gps system and it will take you straight there! From the parking lot I suggest using the ALL TRAILS app to stay on the right trail. Here are the coordinates for the lookout at Tarr Ridge 37.83655, -83.63935.

The hike in is around 2 miles and pretty flat for the most part. It’s totally worth it once you see the view!

Don’t forget to stop at the Shell gas station in Slade Ky to get your parking permit. Enjoy!

Scary

This place was trashy.  Cars came and went all night. People are living there.  There were people hunting something until 2 am with flashlights. (Guessing frogs)

Don’t go

Primitive Campground with Natural Appeal

You won't find full hookups or fancy bath houses, but what this campground lacks in amenities it makes up in scenic beauty.  The campground has several trails, ranging in length, that let you explore some of the natural beauty of Red River Gorge.  Sites are first come, first serve - which can be a pain…but if you plan for a Thursday / Friday morning arrival you shouldn't have a problem. Sites are well spaced and have major trees.  The majority of campers were in tents, but there are a few sites that would work well for RVs.  Some vault restrooms with a central bath house (showers, flush toilets, etc.) - nothing fancy, but gets the job done. Venture out of the campground and enjoy all Red River Gorge has to offer!

Star Gap Arch

Star Gap Arch at the Red River Gorge has two designated campsites on the trail, to the arch. We camped in the closest spot to the arch which is about 250 ft away.

This is a dispersed camping area. So bring EVERYTHING you need!

From the parking lot of the Auxier Ridge Trailhead, Star Gap is a 1.25 mi easy hike with some small obstacles along the way.

Bring your camera with, you’re going to want to take some family pics. Enjoy the view!! ✌🏻