Argenta, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Argenta Camping Reviews
Friendly staff

A great hidden gem! Lots of full timers and still plenty of over nighters.

Very nice showers and location

Quiet campground, although you can hear a train off in the distance and anyone on the water. The shower house is very nice, clean and private. You can see the lake from the campground and the marina is only a short distance away. Shelbyville is just 10minutes making it easy to pick up more firewood and other essentials if needed. Overall very nice stay. 4/5 stars only because the sites aren’t set back very far from the drive.

Clean campground

Clean campground but camping proximity is very close.

Beautiful lake

Really beautiful lake and lookouts and trail down to sandy beach. Close marina and even little food truck right off the lake. Good fishing. There are a lot of sites and we went on a packed weekend but sites arranged well and ours backed up to woods and felt as private as it could among so many campers.

Very nice state park

Nice big spots. 30 and 50 amp available. Right on lake Shelbyville. 309 spots 141 are reservable

5 stars with a caveat

This is a beautiful state park, but hopefully you won’t have the same experience I did with the electric hookup. I stayed here right after the fourth of July and because of the heat over this holiday weekend and a completely full campground, the electricity couldn’t meet the demand and a transformer blew. By the time I arrived the transformer was repaired, however the pedestals in the section I was supposed to stay in had a problem. I was supposed to stay in site 27, but after 3 attempts to get power at 3 different sites, number 24 was the winner and this was a great site! The campground hosts were fantastic in resolving the situation as well.

Site 24 is huge and level with a picnic table and fire ring. Electric but no water at site. The site is totally private on one side because of a lake inlet and there’s a large back area right on the lake. The gravel pad is located right near a large, old bald cypress.

This park has multiple public use areas, 2 campgrounds, boat launches, fishing piers and a beach. I didn’t use the public restrooms because they were closed due to Covid-19. I was able to get internet with Verizon.

This state park felt like it was dropped into the middle of cornfields and made for a fun drive. The sunset views and stars were awesome!

Hidden Gem in Southern Illinois

I should start this review by saying the day we got home from this trip, I booked the same campsite for the end of September. So yeah, it was great.

Living on the north side of Chicago, we were looking for campgrounds in Wisconsin for this trip but then, alas, the quarantine rules went into effect so we turned our search southward. I'm so glad we did!  Illinois doesn't have a lot of lakes but boy is this a nice one. Rented a boat for a day and got to explore the lake and it's gorgeous. Also, there are a TON of campgrounds all around the lake and you could see from the water how many are right on the lake. I'm a sucker for a waterside campsite so I know I'll be back.

The site we had was at the end of the loop (not really a loop, just a straight road with a turnaround on a little peninsula.)

We had the lake on 3 sides and a private little area with trails to explore. This site was a buddy site so very large and plenty of room for two families. Social distancing was not a problem.

The bathrooms and showers were about as clean as I've experienced. Probably just got lucky but seems like every time I went in them they appeared to just have been cleaned. We went during the week and it was super peaceful in the campground and on the lake. I'd imagine in the Summer on the weekend, it will be a bit louder in the campground and more boats on the water.

One night our grand dinner plans were spoiled by a storm so I ran to Shelbyville and grabbed some pizza at Monical's Pizza. It was a quick 15 minute drive.

All in all, great experience and, as I said, we'll be back at the end of September.

Great place to stay

Nice campground! Music most Saturday nights. Bocce ball playgrounds and pavilions, activities most weekends

Very nice!

Nice big spacious sites! Reserve early to get full hookup! Right on lake Shelbyville.

Small Town Americana City Park

This park is a testament to Gibson City Midwest hospitality. There are 9 asphalt pads with one pull thru and ada compliant. These sites have large trees scattered in the park, but it is anything but private. If you are ok with being "on display" for the friendly town, go register and pay at the police station a few blocks over. (It used to be on the honor system- but apparently some campers were less than honorable.)

Nearby things you should try to experience: antique shops, an awesome authentic German restaurant called the Bayern Stube with steins of German beer, a farm supply store to mix with the locals, County Market local grocery chain, Subway/McDonalds if you need that, and you must visit the old-timey Drive-In movie theater Harvest Moon for a throw back to the fifties. Charming. Squeekey clean. There are no showers, but if it's open, there is a community pool across the street.