Quiet Place in the Woods , GEORGIA

Most Recent Quiet Place in the Woods Camping Reviews
Everything was perfect

I have nothing bad to say about this park. We loved our stay.

We RV'd at site 61 with our 21 foot long airstream. It was our very first trip with our airstream and we could not have asked for a better location. We loved the size and shape of the campsites. Ours had some stairs leading down to the firepit. It's a small detail but it made for a beautiful site!

The tall trees are abound and the constant sound of the creek water flowing was very peaceful.

Very quiet park. It was not very busy when we went because the temperatures were a bit chilly. Everyone was respectful with noise.

Bathrooms were in excellent condition. Great hot water and water pressure.

The Campground Hosts… this park is blessed with some heroes. One morning, it was pouring rain, and I did not want to walk in the cold rain to get to the shower. The camp host saw me waiting outside my airstream for the rain to slow down, and then he drove me (in his golf cart) to the showers. Then when I was done, he drove me back home!

We also had an issue on our way out of the park - our trailer jack broke when we were hitching up. We asked 2 camp hosts for their opinion and advice on what to do (again, this was our first time!), and they were both incredibly kind, explained our options, and one even gave us some supplies from his own toolbox to fix it! I think his name was Jeff. Jeff, thank you again for all of your help! We made it to Home Depot and fixed the jack, and we used one of the bolts you provided us!

Wonderful park with wonderful people - don't hesitate to book here!

Great place

We go to camp here at least twice a year. Despite the crazy traffic in the capitol city, there are many restaurants with good food nearby.

Love TWoS!!!

I have stayed here 3 or 4 times. The owner takes great great pride in his ownership. He was able to buy it from a family whom let the place go down hill then rebuilt it himself with family and friends. The cabins are warm at night without the need for a heat source. The shower house is also climate controlled. There are no designated places for tents therefore you don't necessarily have to stay in the first spot you picked. Another thing I love about the ownership is your bill is on the honor system. They will not hound you about what you owe. You can pay as you go or wait for the total as you leave. You are far enough in the sticks but also close to whatever you need from down the road. He placed 2 or 3 (can't remember) posts for electricity and never complained about me stinging my 100' extension cord through the creek so we could enjoy the fire pits as well as the electricity for phones and tent heaters. Their food is very good too sadly, only on the weekends from Friday evening to Sunday morning.

Incredible place to hike

Took my boys after studying the 7 Natural wonders of GA and this gorge is one of them. Did not disappoint. The hike to the bottom is not for the faint of heart. And the steps back up will challenge the most fit among us. But the views and experience is well worth the pain. Campground while being big rig friendly is a little tight ( we have a 42ft motorhome). If your large try to book sites 34 or 35 pull through. No sewers, but easy to use dump station next to the exit. Make sure you add this stop to your Must see list

Beautiful mountain setting!

We stayed in one of the tent-only, walk-in sites. This was our first (and so far, only) walk-in tent camping experience as a family. I gotta say - there were challenges.  They weren't unexpected, but still… It should go without saying but nothing here is flat. And after heavy rains some of the trails are not in the best of shape, quite rutted and muddy. So lugging a ton of gear up into the woods was a challenge. It was only 50ish yards, but it was not an easy 50ish yards. So setup and tear down was not the most fun part of the trip. Next time we'll pack lighter for this sort of camping.

However, with that out of the way, we had zero other complaints about our time here. Once we got to our site, it was awesome. The pad was in great shape, flat, clean and plenty large enough for our 9-person tent and all our gear. Other campsites could barely be seen through the woods so it felt very private and secluded.  The bathhouse was good, clean and in good shape. And the setting was amazing.

While here we also hiked a few trails.  The Tennessee Rock trail seems to be the most popular, but let me warn you -- it was NOT as easy as we expected. My youngest kid and my wife turned around and went back. I and my older kids, along with the dog, completed the hike, but it was challenging. Its narrow and very slippery in spots, with more elevation changes than you expect. I mean its not the sort of hike you need to prepare for and pack for the day, but at least have proper footwear and some water with you. And to be honest, if you're going for the mountain views, skip it. The best views in the whole park, by far, are accessible from the roadside, especially at the visitor's center.

Overall though, we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful park and will definitely camp here again!

One of my favorite places!

We tent camped here back in March and absolutely LOVED IT. The trails were well maintained and accessible from the campsite. The bathrooms were clean and close by. The sites can be close together but I still felt like we had plenty of privacy. The visitors center is also close by! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get floor permits due to weather-but the other hikes and wineries close by kept us busy. Each site has electrical hookups, fire pit, and a water pump. We can’t wait to go back!

One of my favorites

We tent camped at Amicolola in early May 2020…ir was cold one night but we built a great fire in the firepit which kept us warm.The camp sites are spacios gravel and fenced.I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the park and the amenities, the restrooms were very well kept and the park manager was gracious. They have a water fall and several trails leading dow to a well stocked pond. My grandson caughed dinner…yum. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to go back.

Nice Lake side camp site

We stayed at the campground over the 2020 Labor day week. It was a nice site. Bath houses were decent. Water was located through out the campgrounds. We stayed in the back loop which is more level. Note you do not need to pay the day use fee if you are camping. The camp host actually retrieved our money we put in the envelope when i mentioned it during check in. The trails in the area have been impacted by several storms in the last few years and many of them are blocked by fallen trees.

Wonderful view

Park is wonderful, can be overcrowded. Surrounding area can be a bit rundown

Many trials

Fort Yargo is a bit of history for Georgia, restored cabin from 1792. Boating, hiking, camping and cabins with another area that is a private resort. Lots of room 1816 acres, 16 cabins, 6 yurts. Many tent and trailers spots. #34 has full hookups. There is a nice pavilion and a fairly new welcome center. It is easy to get to and there is playgrounds for the young ones.