Gilleland , GEORGIA

Most Recent Gilleland Camping Reviews
Beautiful and refreshing

See about 10-15 deer playing in the woods. It was amazing to witness. The nature photos are a small glimpse of the beauty to behold at this site. Camped in tent and also in a PUP a few times. Will definitely go back again.

Beautiful but crowded

Being a Ga native, this was my first time to Raven Cliff Falls. It is a beautiful place to camp but very busy on the beautiful April 2021 day that I visited. The creek was clear, cold and sounded amazing running by the campsite. It’s definitely on my list to return to this year.

We love it so much we got married there!

You will love this campground as much as we do! From the registration process, to the staff, the scenery, tent and RV campsites … SMP is a winner!

Nice spot near the water

Easy to find, liked that we were right on the water. There was a nice flat area to set up food, bonfire, chairs, games and to lounge around with family and the dogs. Bathrooms were nice and close to campground, within walking distance.

Amazing

The views were amazing and it was far enough removed from everything that only nature sounds are heard at night. The way to get to the WMA seems like you’re going through people’s back yards, but it’s the right way. Your navigation might stop randomly, but keep going and you’ll find plenty of pull offs to set up camp. I would recommend triple checking the temperatures because it is a bit high in elevation and can cause some pretty drastic fluctuations if you’re not ready. I would also recommend not going after it has rained or snowed, or if you do, leave your vehicle on the trail and unpack from there. I may or may not have gotten stuck and needed a hand to push my car out. Basically be prepared, because even though you might have a cell signal, you can wind up pretty far back in the woods. At this place.

Last minute find

I was up hiking in the area and the forest road was closed after a storm . Stopped at a gas station and they recommended I check with them. Glad I did very quiet bunch of people with there very nice motorcycles hanging out. $15 to stay and the food was awesome and must include the restrooms were impressively spotless Will be back

Amicalola Falls

The largest waterfall in Georgia and the 3rd largest in the Southeast. They have paid camping and you can also hike the AT trail and find free remote camping.

Panther Creek

As I was hiking Panther Creek to the base of the waterfall I saw 10-15 camp sites where you can camp for free, primitive style!

1099 stairs

Great park. Many hiking opportunities in the park and surrounding areas. It is 1099 stairs to the bottom of canyon!Campground was nice. Sites are open and unlevel but most were a good size. Sites are gravel with table, grill, water, and electric. Campground is very hilly. It was great to be able to access trails from the campground. You can also walk to the day use area from campground which has a trail and beach picnic area. 2 bathhouses were good. Laundry facilities available. There was little cell reception and no tv reception here. Went to Helen for a bit-IMO it's overrated. Branch out from the park because there are some great hiking trails in the area. They were not issuing any gorge floor permits the time we went. There is a fabulous museum/welcome center here with some history and facts about the park. Park is pretty busy. It was spring break when we went but it was not overwhelming. It was nice to see kids riding bikes and running outside.

Yargo

Paddle boats, kayaks and the beach, grilling out and having fun with friends and our kids