The best TENT SITES camping near
Pritchett , COLORADO

Most Recent Pritchett Camping Reviews
-1 stars

I wish I could give this place negative stars. 😑 First and foremost you cannot arrive after hours without a reservation and by creating an account. Then upon paying for your site, which only has electric by the way, you also have to purchase a $9 parking pass. We had to purchase one for our RV AND one for our car. Camp hosts are nonexistent. The facilities were FILTHY ! One shower open that YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR. $1 in quarters got me 2 mins and upon shooting out freezing water without warning , it took over a minute to get warm so then I had under 60 seconds to do a quick wash. Mind you- I typically boon-dock and off grid camp but figured I would splurge and hook up for the night ( traveling across country) and use a facilities shower. The floor was filthy and there were excrements left not only in the toilet but also on the seat. I’m just really bummed out.. would not recommend. On the plus side, I had a gorgeous balled Eagle fly right over head that left me in awe. And the sunrise was very beautiful.

Nice hike

First 2.5 miles of the hike are fairly easy with the last 1.5 mile going uphill with lose rocks/boulders. Campsites are a little too close together.

Simply everything you need

Each site is pull thru with full hook ups. The laundry is in a heated bathroom with shower. The 2nd bathroom and shower doesn't have laundry. $1 wash and $1 Dry per cycle. Pull in select your site complete the registration and put it in the drop box.

Make sure you check your camp site on a map!

Initially made reservations at the point campground. There is NO shade. Cancelled and remade for Lake Hasty campground. Had a good time. Visited in spring, but it was HOT!! Very glad to have had the shade. Lots of owls. Lots of birds to watch. Bathrooms were a bit of a walk, but we were right next to the playground. Did some fishing, had a muskrat steal our fish. Lots of rattlesnakes. Also learned that rattlesnakes can swim. Easy drive to Bent's Old Fort which was great. Overall, nice but factor in weather when making reservations.

Loved the area...warmed up to the camp

Like some other reviews have said, the state park isn't at Black Mesa…just near it.

The area itself has plenty of cool things - Black Mesa, wonderful changing views, dinosaur tracks, petrified forest. Some of those things are at the state park, others are "nearish".

The campground itself - well, when I showed up I wasn't very impressed. Facilities are outdated and not well cared for. I don't blame the people working there. Probably just a funding thing, especially being so far from the population and capitol of Oklahoma. It's a shame because a lot of people pass through this corner and it might be their only impression of Oklahoma.

But friendly neighbors, great evening weather and some nice star watching despite thin clouds made me warm up to the place.

Some spots are have big nice shade trees, but with all the star watching you might actually want a spot without trees.

No Verizon service but AT&T was strong enough to FaceTime with.

Next time I come back to the area - and I hope to - I will check out camping options at some of the nearby bed and breakfasts. Would love to see the state invest a little in this camp. I don't think it would take much.

Desert Fun

I loved the hiking trails and the nature walks. It is out in the middle of no where but nice.

Perfect

Quiet. Secluded. Safe. Beautiful sunsets. Stopped off for an overnight on the way to Great Sand Dunes NP. So glad we found this place. Highly recommend.

Serene

This campground is NOT accessible by vehicle if the road is wet.. There are four designated sites, three overlook the canyon and one is intended for those with horses. There is a vault toilet. This campground is at the Picket Wire Canyonlands trailhead, which boasts the largest dinosaur track site in North America. Each campsite has a fire ring, but keep in mind the canyon is subject to burn bans. It is very rocky, so if your tent is on the ground you would probably be happier with some kind of padding. The vault toilet was the cleanest I have ever encountered. The sites are first come first serve. Keep in mind, there was a lot of parking available, so it is possible overflow camping may not be frowned upon so long as you stay in the parking areas.

Probably not intended for camping.

There is a vault toilet and cattle corrals here. I'm not sure it is an intended spot for camping, but if the road to Withers canyon is closed because of rain, I'm sure its reasonable to camp here. I recommend driving the extra six miles to the Withers canyon campground, but keep in mind that road isn't passable when wet.

Small but a great stop

This is a small park but has some really nice views. This is a great place to stop for a day or two as you are traveling. There is a place to see dinosaur tracks and also 3 corners (Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma). Highest point in Oklahoma, but you wouldn’t know it. When you get on top of the flats you can see for a ways! Watch for snakes on the trails but worth the early morning or late evening hike.