About Echo Park - Dinosaur National Monument

Echo Park Campground is located 38 miles north of the Canyon Visitor Center. It is located near where the Yampa River meets the Green River. Access to the campground requires high-clearance vehicles. RVs and trailers are strongly discouraged due to sharp turns, steep grades, and rough roads.

Echo Park Campground has 22 sites, including one handicapped-accessible site and four walk-in sites. A few sites have shade. Suitable for tent camping. There is running water and vault toilets. No showers. Check with a ranger for current fire-use policy. The campground fills only on holiday weekends. The water is turned off from mid-September to late-May and camping fees are not collected during that time.

Site
No Water Hookups
Echo Park - Dinosaur National Monument is located in Colorado
5 Reviews of Echo Park - Dinosaur National Monument
Very pretty

Great campground. Very pretty location.

great remote campground

the road in and out is not for the faint of heart but if you get past the fear of falling off a steep cliff, it is actually quite beautiful. the campground was very quiet. only 3 other sites occupied when we visited in late June. beautiful cliffs surround one side and the river with amazing views of steamboat rock are on the other. only downside was that the canyons seemed to form some sort of wind tunnel right thru the campground, at least while we were there, with the wind whipping up to 20 mph gusts.

Awesome... But...

Beautiful remote campground and a ton of fun to drive to. But when we went the mosquitoes were so bad we cooked our food as fast as we could and ate in the car. We left a day early and the following night at our next camp the kids were having nightmares about mosquitoes… Lol. I've been camping most of my life and it's been a long time since I've encountered mosquitoes that bad.

Amazing campground near Steamboat Rock river horseshoe

This site is pretty central in the whole Dinosaur National Park geography about an hour from the main visitor center. We definitely needed a high clearance vehicle for the dirt road to get to it but evidently the road conditions vary a bit season to season and year to year, so call the rangers to check. This is tent-only no reservations and there are water, toilets, and designated camp sites, making it a remote frontcountry style campground. I’m not sure where you could go instead if it fills up since it’s in the middle of the park, but it was only 3/4 or so full in early spring. The absolutely beautiful cliffs and water make this campsite memorable and the other nearby areas in Dinosaur (petroglyphs, cave, fossils) make it exceptional.

Very Nice Spot with Lots of Shade

This was a great weekend trip to Dinosaur. I had reserved a camping spot near the river with plenty of shade. It was an excellent choice (learned my lesson on shade in Sand Dunes). The spot was clean, but a little close to the road. There was not a ton of traffic, but privacy left something to be desired. The shade was a welcome relief from the hot sun in this area of the country. I was less than impressed with the dishwashing facilities (or lack there of). The bathrooms were also less than optimal. They got dirty fast and were filled with flies. Overall it was a nice level site with everything that you needed. The ranger presentation was also very nice.
Sleeping there was great. Perfect temperature with very little humidity. The river brings in cool breezes at night so it was wonderful. The park overall is not my favorite, but it was still a lot of fun. I would recommend it for kids for the Dinosaur angle alone. Also since the day hiking is minimal it gives you plenty of time to just hang around and go for a scavenger hunt or play a game.