About Palomar Mountain State Park

Palomar Mountain camping features a beautiful forest and mountain meadows of Palomar Mountain State Park are in northern San Diego County, high atop the west side of Palomar Mountain. Large pine, fir and cedar trees make the park one of the few areas in southern California with a Sierra Nevada-like atmosphere.

The area features hiking trails, a historical/cultural site, picnic areas, a visitors center, fishing, interpretive exhibits, and geocaching

Palomar Mountain State Park is located in California
6 Reviews of Palomar Mountain State Park
Family Favorite

My family and I camped twice here with friends. It is a nice quiet location with great hiking. The facilities were nice and well taken care of. The staff was friendly and helpful. Wish we had found it the first time stationed in the San Diego area.

Being here feels like being inside of a magical forest

There are some campsites that are closer together than others, but it is possible to find a more secluded spot. The area surrounding the campsites is lush and beautiful. A small pond is nearby, that allows for fishing, and there are at least 15 miles of trail surround the park. I almost always see deer when I go there, and it was one of the places that fueled my passion for exploring outdoors. The bathrooms are well kept. I would definitely recommend.

Hidden Escape

Love Palmowr Mountain Park & Camping! Lots of trails nearby found nearby! A great mix of easy and moderate trails that are easily accessible and clearly marked. Bring cash, they don’t accept cards. Camping and picnic areas are clean and well kept. Some great fun for the kids too. You could spend a week there and see something new everyday. Lots of nature to see. Paloma observatory is relatively near and can drive for some space exploration.

Hidden gem in the hills

We drove up for an impromptu camp trip, it was only about an hour drive. I've never been up to Palomar Mountain although I've lived here for 30 years! It's a very picturesque drive with lots of twists and turns and watch out for those motorcycles.

The campground is situated within lots of trees so there is shade. We stayed at Doane Valley Family Camp loop. There are trails and a pond very close by, it's stocked with fish, but it's tiny.

The sites are really cool and private, lots of tall trees and shade. Only downside was the bugs. There were a lot of flies, but we went in July so go figure. Will definitely camp here again, but will likely wait for it to cool off a bit. There is snow up here in the winter months so I would recommend camping in the fall.

Nice Views

We've hiked here a few times and decided to camp one evening as it's only an hour and a half drive from our home. Personally I felt like this campground is meant for those that want to get outside for a weekend, not really camp.

Pros:

• Views are gorgeous. It's very scenic, with large pines, small ponds, a stream.
  • Easy to Find the park & the campsite.
  • Facilities were clean and well maintained.

Cons:

• Dogs aren't allowed on trails.
  • The campgrounds are fairly underwhelming. They are in the open and feel exposed.. and the trails are popular enough to increase that feeling.
  • The hiking trails are pretty but they don't take you very far. You never really get that feeling of being fully immersed in nature.
One of my favorite spots

The spots are very large and there are adequate amenities. The scenery is amazing and there are hiking trails, fishing and an observatory.