The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Rainbow , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Rainbow Camping Reviews
Love this place

My family and I enjoy coming here. We live close by and take out travel trailer there . We love it the sites are great and the staff is very helpful

Very Private

Perfect get away close to the city clean, hook ups, hiking trails, beautiful views

Great Camping, beautiful scenery, easy to get to.

We spent 5 days here in mid November M-F. We brought our tiny travel trailer (13 ft) and dog. The campground was nice and relatively empty during the week, and started to fill up on the Friday when we left. We were on site 68 which was convenient to the restrooms, trails, and had very pretty views to the rear of the campsite.

The site was relatively easy to back into for a newbie like me, and did need about 4-5 inches of leveling blocks on one side. On the side of the driveway is about 3 ft x 3 ft grating for drainage that dips about 6-8 inches below grade that we dubbed "the tank trap". I was worried about it because of my low clearance on the trailer, but we were able to avoid it on the way in and out.

Because of the way this site is organized, there was not a great deal of room by the trailers front door. I could see that being a bummer for people who would want to use their awning on the right hand side of the trailer. However we use a pop-up shade, so we just set it up to the left side of the trailer.

Julian is about 25 min away and is a fun place to visit and have lunch or dinner, and the Wolf rescue nearby would be a neat place to visit if we were not traveling with a dog. We also drove the nearby Sunrise Highway for a ways for some beautiful views down into Anza-Borrego.

Other sites that looked nice and level for a small trailer, easy to back into,  and had pretty views where sites #52 & #35

It should be noted that there are no water, sewer nor electrical hookups at this campsite (as stated on their website). There is a pumpout station near the entrance that can be used for $10. My freshwater tank is a 7 gallon jug that I filled at the nearby water faucet (water is very sweet here).

Kids had a blast

We took my nephews here and they cried when they had to leave. It was a lot of fun for us. The boys fished alllll day long and actually had a few catches. The people who were camping here were really nice! They seemed to love their campsites and highly recommended it.

Wonderful campground

Great park staff at check in, and at the camp store. Park is beautifully landscaped with trees and lush grass. We had a great time exploring the lake and hiking, well worth visiting.

Clean, spacious and well maintained campsites

Very well maintained campgrounds with quality facilities located throughout. $20 a night, they have water spigots shared between campsites (if you bring a “y” you can stay connected, otherwise fill tanks and disconnect). Self pump out (free) and good rubbish collection points throughout. Campsites are located on a relatively busy road, so you can hear road traffic but nothing that bothered us. Good cell reception, fire pits, charcoal bbqs, nice tree’s etc. I liked it here. Campsites seemed to be largely pull thru’s which is nice too. Neighbour are close but not too close.

Serene visit

We camped in site #5. It’s right by the entrance but super secluded. We felt like we had a whole park to ourselves. We had a picnic table and a grill as well as full hookups. It poured rain the whole time so we didn’t get to do much but when there was a slight break we went to the 2 different playgrounds and 3 different lakes. There was frisbee golf and fishing. We had a good time despite the weather. Would definitely return. One thing: the sewer hose doesn’t screw in well. We had to put something heavy on top to make sure it didn’t come up and pour out.

Not for me

I stayed at the Pasa Picacho part of the park. It started out great, as 2 deer ran in front of me pulling in. When I first booked it, I planned on having working solar, but I’m still having issues. No hookups at all, and I didn’t want to cancel, but in hind site I should have, since I forgot to fill my fresh water tank. The space they gave me is only a couple feet wider then rig, and it’s on a corner. I tried to park it, and tried again, before I rode around and tried again. This time I got it. Then I take a walk around with my dog and see these huge sites sitting there empty! Plus there was no Ranger when I arrived, and haven’t seen one riding around. My stay is being cut short anyway, because the solar guy gets it this weekend. I’m sure it’s beautiful here, but I didn’t come in the right frame of mind. Would definitely be back at a larger site. They have restroom/showers around, and water on spigots around the campground.

Ortega Flats

Lovely campsite with all sites on 30a + water spigot. Rangers at entrance to check for pets (not allowed) and where you can buy bundles of wood for $5 if you want. Technically not allowed to bring in outside wood. Sites are pretty level, gravel and of a good size. My 24’ + truck can fit lengthwise with room behind and plenty to the side. They have the “site” and then they have like a lounge area beside it where you have your own table, fire pit and charcoal BBQ. Plenty of squirrels, bunnies, the occasional deer and coyotes at night, signs warning you are now in mountain lion territory. Rangers do the rounds to keep an eye on everything. I really liked it here, only downside is that there is a road quite close and you get some road noise which may bother some - we were both fine. Lots of trees to segment the sites, so even though the neighbors are 30’ ish away… you are quite secluded.

Nice Family Campground bring a bike

Lots of kids riding bikes and having fun! I suggest to follow their lead. Bring a bike to explore the loops and trail to beach. Walking the one mile each way to the beach was nice with our dog on leash because the terrain has snake potential. We enjoyed the view in our Skamper pop up from site with Electric hook up site 30. But other Electric sites had good views 24,26,27 and 28. Clean bathrooms. Nice campground will be back.