About Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park is located in California
10 Reviews of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
Trails are nice but...

…there is poison oak everywhere you turn and the campsites are rather close to one another.

Amazing

We loved the trails through the woods. We saw the iconic banana slugs and all went into the hollowed out trees. Definitely worth spending a few hours just exploring. Great for kids and adults.

The redwoods! Need I say more?

This is one of the most enchanting places I have ever been to. Just wow! There is only 4 tent sites, but they are huge! Plenty of RV spots as well. ADA accessible site are limited but they are #17, 23, 24, 109, 112. This is near a 40 acre redwood grove with so much old growth. The trees are towering above you! It is kind of pricey but well worth it. you can see an amazing view of the night sky and hear the sounds of the waves from the nearby ocean.

You do have to be bear aware here, there are food lockers though.Also, watch out for the poison oak… so much. Each site also has a fire ring and picnic table. They have clean bathrooms with flush toilets and showers that are $0.25 per 2 minutes.

I love this campground and miss it, as I have moved out of California.

A Hidden Gem in the 💜 of the wise old redwoods...

An inexpensive way to stay & vacation in Santa Cruz.

Many ways to explore nature (Hiking, Biking, Train Ride through redwoods down to the ocean & beach, camping, leisure easy walk through old growth redwood trees, zip line through the redwoods - just down the road, etc)

Short beautiful drives & motorcycle rides, in the Santa Cruz Mountains & to San Francisco & Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur - only a few hours away in either direction

Dog friendly

Kid friendly

Great Surfing Areas nearby (learn to surf at Cowell’s Beach - a great long board & beginners spot)

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (free concerts on Main Beach in the summer months)

Santa Cruz has a huge selection of super awesome food & restaurant choices!!! Brekkie, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Ice Cream, Candy. Unbelievable food!

If I missed something, just ask. Although, I don’t live there now. I grew up there & lived there for 30 years. When I go back to visit, I camp at Henry Cowell.

Large open campsites

This campground has large open sites for tent camping. It was covered in trees and had some options for better more private spots, but sadly the campground was almost to capacity when we went. The options for tent camping was limited. I know for our next visit to reserve ahead of time, and to request cliff side tent camps. Cliff side tent camps are separate and have full vista views.

camping in town

Great spot to camp, close to grocery stores and gas stations.

Nice campground with plenty of hiking

We stayed here for a night and thought that it was a clean campground. Our site was on the smaller side, but it accommodated us all. There were a few trails that started from the campground, which was nice.

Redwoods and Santa Cruz

This park is just outside of Santa Cruz about 15 minutes or so in Felton. It is pretty and the sites are private. There are very hot showers for and a buck of quarters gets you 5 minutes. The park has a bit of a yellow jacket problem that they dont really seem too concerned about addressing. Yellowjackets on trails, in campsites and near bathrooms. 5 in our group got stung and there was a massive nest in site 41.

Nice Campground

This is a nice campground in a great part of California with lots of hiking and beaches nearby. The bathrooms were clean and well kept. My only critique would be that the sites are pretty small and very close together. We were in site #66 and the adjacent sites were very close.

Family Camp Galore

This is an awesome spot to camp with your family. Hiking and biking trails, nature walks, showers, flush toilets, it has it all for the not so campy campers. I make a point to camp here at least one time a year on a Fall surf trip to Santa Cruz.