About Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park is located in California
12 Reviews of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park

Awesome spot! We only stayed a night and didn’t get to explore the trails but plan to visit again in the future

Cute, cozy, close to stuff!

The site we picked (33) was adorable. Lots of trees and shade, picnic table, and fire pit. The neighboring campsites were close so we could see and hear our back and side neighbors. The reception staff was nice and campground host helped us get some firewood. Bathrooms were…not great. Weird back stall with a tiny door so if anyone is sitting there…they will see you and you will see them. 😬 Close to town (Target and Trader Joe’s only a 15 min drive away, the Mystery Spot even less). We had cell service at our site but not when we got to the main road. We would come back!

Trails are nice but...

…there is poison oak everywhere you turn and the campsites are rather close to one another.

Amazing

We loved the trails through the woods. We saw the iconic banana slugs and all went into the hollowed out trees. Definitely worth spending a few hours just exploring. Great for kids and adults.

The redwoods! Need I say more?

This is one of the most enchanting places I have ever been to. Just wow! There is only 4 tent sites, but they are huge! Plenty of RV spots as well. ADA accessible site are limited but they are #17, 23, 24, 109, 112. This is near a 40 acre redwood grove with so much old growth. The trees are towering above you! It is kind of pricey but well worth it. you can see an amazing view of the night sky and hear the sounds of the waves from the nearby ocean.

You do have to be bear aware here, there are food lockers though.Also, watch out for the poison oak… so much. Each site also has a fire ring and picnic table. They have clean bathrooms with flush toilets and showers that are $0.25 per 2 minutes.

I love this campground and miss it, as I have moved out of California.

A Hidden Gem in the 💜 of the wise old redwoods...

An inexpensive way to stay & vacation in Santa Cruz.

Many ways to explore nature (Hiking, Biking, Train Ride through redwoods down to the ocean & beach, camping, leisure easy walk through old growth redwood trees, zip line through the redwoods - just down the road, etc)

Short beautiful drives & motorcycle rides, in the Santa Cruz Mountains & to San Francisco & Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur - only a few hours away in either direction

Dog friendly

Kid friendly

Great Surfing Areas nearby (learn to surf at Cowell’s Beach - a great long board & beginners spot)

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (free concerts on Main Beach in the summer months)

Santa Cruz has a huge selection of super awesome food & restaurant choices!!! Brekkie, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Ice Cream, Candy. Unbelievable food!

If I missed something, just ask. Although, I don’t live there now. I grew up there & lived there for 30 years. When I go back to visit, I camp at Henry Cowell.

Large open campsites

This campground has large open sites for tent camping. It was covered in trees and had some options for better more private spots, but sadly the campground was almost to capacity when we went. The options for tent camping was limited. I know for our next visit to reserve ahead of time, and to request cliff side tent camps. Cliff side tent camps are separate and have full vista views.

camping in town

Great spot to camp, close to grocery stores and gas stations.

Nice campground with plenty of hiking

We stayed here for a night and thought that it was a clean campground. Our site was on the smaller side, but it accommodated us all. There were a few trails that started from the campground, which was nice.

Redwoods and Santa Cruz

This park is just outside of Santa Cruz about 15 minutes or so in Felton. It is pretty and the sites are private. There are very hot showers for and a buck of quarters gets you 5 minutes. The park has a bit of a yellow jacket problem that they dont really seem too concerned about addressing. Yellowjackets on trails, in campsites and near bathrooms. 5 in our group got stung and there was a massive nest in site 41.