Water Unknown
Bureau of Land Management
Owl Canyon is located in California
7 Reviews of Owl Canyon
Quiet camp site

Owl Canyon Camp site is run by BLM. It’s in the dessert near Rainbow Basin. There are pit toilets that were clean and good condition. There approximately 20 campsites with fire ring, table, barbecue grill and a covering over table area. The views are nice for the dessert and their is wildlife in the area. Also BLM recommendations to bring water because the water provided runs out and is for washing.

nice trails

This is a nice campground, it has limited water that has to be trucked in to fill the holding tanks. Pit toilets, and playground equipment for those camping with younger kids. There are several nice hikes from the campground. Have seen collage classes and Boy scouts troops using this campground. You can't camp with horses in this campground, but there is horse camping near by.

beautiful views and very open

I stayed with a group here for 3 nights a few years ago in October. This is a beautiful campground. Very primitive, with pit toilets and one water faucet. Trash is carry in carry out. It is a small campground (Less than 25 sites). It was also extremely hot (I think above 110F during the day), but at night it was beautiful. We didn't even need a tent because of the mild temperatures and calm breeze. Our group site had plenty of room for everyone, and picnic tables that had a covering to provide some shade during the day. The area felt very remote and quiet, and we were able to hike right from our site each day.

BLM campground at the edge of Mojave

It is a BLM campground in the Rainbow Basin right above Barstow, CA. Have to drive through washboard road for about five miles to get to the campground. Nice site with a trail head to Owl Canyon right by the campground. First come first serve site, but $6 per night. Each site has a picnic table with a shelter and a fire ring. Was very windy when we were there and had to put up tarp as wind shelter. Most pit toilets were clean, but it was an Easter weekend so very crowded with college field trips. No water (taps were not working) so bring your own water. There are some interesting playground structures at the campground towards the trail head. It was a full moon day so it was pretty bright that night and could not do stargazing. The view from our sites (first night #??, second night #22) were great. You can even see San Bernardino Mountains. A great place to camp if you are into geology. You can hike into Owl Canyon or drive a short distance to see colorful geological formations at Rainbow Basin. It was hot even in April so be prepared for the heat if you are not used to it.

Doing some Work in Barstow Needed a Place to Kick It

I needed to get some work done in Barstow while I was on the road and this was the closest decent looking campground I could find. Sights are big some could handle a RV but I can confirm no hook ups. There are 2 water faucets I found in camp but neither are working. Bonus the picnic tables have there own little gazebos so in summer you would get some shade, and each sight has a fire pit with grill and a separate grill pit that would be great for charcoal. I stayed for 4 nights and had some epic sunrises, sunset is nice and one day of significant wind gusts, like kick you to the side and throw you off stride wind gusts so I suspect it can get pretty windy. But over all great campground pretty secluded for how close it is for Barstow and there is no reason I would not recemoned it, espaiclly to tenters. Be warned there is a super tame fox that got brave and tried to steal food scraps a few times.

Desert Wasteland Remodeled

Needed a place to stay on our way up to Tahoe and found this little gem. Isolated but easy to get to and recently upgraded. Each camping spot as a picnic table, firepit, garbage, and nice flat spot for our 4Wheel camper. Toilets, some water, and a playground if you have kids. Found some critters including a sidewinder but we are camping in their home so to be expected.

A slice of heaven if you sleep outside

We found Owl Canyon a few years back and became enchanted with this place. About three miles of washboarded (but maintained) gravel road leads to a small campgroundwith exquisite rock formations and plenty of hiking trails leading off in all directions. The first time we were here, we were the only campers other than the adorable camp hosts who had taken the trouble to put small solar lights on the vault toilets and soap on a rope hanging from the water faucets. Unfortunately, they are no longer there and neither is the solitude. The camp had a wide range of campers from Coleman pup tents to Land Yachts. UCSB has a large research station where students come out and study geology and mapping. It was fun to chat with them and get infected with their enthusiasm. The weather was mild enough to sleep out under the stars. The night sky is stunning! Wind can be an issue as it was this last visit. Tents were challenged and I was woken up in the middle of the night by a levitated camp chair landing on me. i will guess if you go sometime after spring break and mid-week, the campground won't be as crowded. Toilets are clean, water is limited and the price is right. Make sure to take extra tarps and rope to rig up a wind break or two and you are sure to have a nice stay. .