Yurts
About Arizona Nordic Village

There is no better place to escape the well-known Arizona summer heat than Flagstaff. Visit the Arizona Nordic Village in summer and get your fill of wildlife, wildflowers, monsoon, and green! During the summer trails are open for hiking, biking, horse riding, wildlife viewing, and so much more. The Arizona Nordic Village is also the perfect location to hold a rustic outdoor wedding, business retreat, race, etc.

Visit the Arizona Nordic Village website for detailed information, lodging reservations, and event bookings.

Visit Arizona Nordic Village in the Winter for more about winter sports and activities during the winter season.

SUMMER ACTIVITIES

Fire Lookouts/cabins Overnight

USDA Forest Service
Arizona Nordic Village is located in Arizona
Directions
Location : 16 miles north of Flagstaff on paved and plowed roads. Elevation is 8,000 feet. GPS (Map): 35°22'00.9"N 111°47'24.4"W Access : Drive 16 miles north from Flagstaff on US 180 and look for the Arizonan Nordic Village signs at mile marker 232. _ Click on map thumbnail for a larger view. _ Arizona Nordic Village Map
2 Reviews of Arizona Nordic Village
Morning Glory Yurt

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend 2019. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the most remote yurt, Morning Glory. Morning Glory has great views and several people (staff and other visitors on the trails) mentioned that Morning Glory is the best yurt to stay in since it is both remote and it has amazing views of the San Francisco Peaks. Additionally, Morning Glory is also placed in the middle of a field with a nearby bench which is also really nice and makes this particular yurt feel serene. Arizona Nordic Village, previously known as Flagstaff Nordic Center, has a lodge, front country cabins and yurts (which are all within a few hundred feet of the lodge and nearby the highway), as well as back country yurts that range 1-3 miles away from the lodge (Morning Glory is a back country yurt). For the back country, AZNV offers gear shuttles at an extra cost of $40. However we packed all of our belongings in since we were not staying for more than a few days. Yurts and cabins come with a battery operated light inside, a propane grill and stove next to the cabin, porta potty a few yards away, nearby picnic table, 2 twin sized sleeping mats, and 2-4 folding chairs (2 in small yurts; 4 in large yurts), a small trey table, and stove (and stove brush and pan to clean ash out), and a fire ring. From what I can tell they also give you some firewood and a 7-gallon jug of water to put out your fire. For an additional cost you can purchase additional wood, which I did since I was unaware they would supply some firewood, but we hardly used this since we did not require the stove in the cabin since the weather at night is in the 50’s. We did try the stove out and found that 4 pieces of wood heated the cabin up a considerable amount within the span of a few minutes. After booking you get a confirmation email with details for your trip. The day of check in I got a courtesy call and was told I could stop in the lodge at check in for a nap and more info. The staff we encountered were all super friendly. We were told there is a black bear that roams the area but we did not see it and heard the bear usually does not make its way up to Morning Glory. Additionally, while vehicle are not allowed in the Forrest, Morning Glory is near a Forrest fire road which had some vehicles on it; I’m not sure that this is common— may have been due to the long holiday weekend. Additionally, I believe AZNV has one or two trucks and ATVs they use to help transport gear. Overall, I had fun and would go back. I don’t love paying for camping (We usually do free dispersed camping and pitch a tent), however this area is fun enough I would go back. The yurt experience was on par for what we are used to when it comes to camping, but it was nice not having to pitch a tent, blow up an air mattress, etc. Lastly, they do haul out your trash for you. I do recommend bringing baby wipes since the trails are dusty, and a headlamp for at night.

Cell service: I have Verizon and had four bars at the Morning Glory yurt and service at the lodge— however, service between the two was spotty.

Fantastic, quiet getaway

This stay was fantastic! The Nordic Village is usually host to snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and nordic getaways, but in the summer time it becomes a quiet host to weddings, cabin stays and a glorious yurt experience.

After checking in we trekked our 1.4 miles out to the Honey Suckle Yurt. The yurt was equipped with some extra potable water, water to douse your fire, a propane grill, comfy  floor sleeping mats, a couple of chairs, and a wood burning stove. There's even a lighter and a storage box for your food in the yurt because bears do apparently live in the area although nobody seems to have seen them. We literally did not see a single person all afternoon, or up until we saw one lone hiker about 10am the next morning. We cooked our dinner on the stove and sat by a small fire in a cooler evening air and enjoyed just being together in the middle of nowhere. Such a neat spot. Next time I'm going for the yurt with a serious view, the Morning Glory!