About Mammoth Campground

The only campground in the park open year-round, Mammoth Campground—elevation 6,200 feet (1890 m)—is located five miles south of Gardiner, Montana and the park's North Entrance. Situated in a high sagebrush steppe, scattered juniper and Douglas fir trees provide shade during hot summer months. The campground is close to fishing, hiking, and the Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces. Great wildlife viewing opportunities abound with elk and bison occasionally passing through the campground.

ADA Access: Five accessible campsites, accessible routes along paved roadway, ramp to amphitheater. The North Entrance Wash Tub in Gardiner (5 miles north) has public showers, including an accessible shower and bathroom. They have a ramp that enters at the side of the building. This would be the closest accessible shower facility to the Mammoth Campground.

Price
$150.00 - $200.00
National Park Service
Hike In
Mammoth Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
Located at Mammoth Hot Springs, five miles south of the North Entrance.
23 Reviews of Mammoth Campground
Wildlife Active Campground

Mammoth Campground is in the middle of a hairpin turn so be prepared for traffic on both sides of the campsites. I found it noisy for sleeping but my husband slept like a log. The sites are very large and I think all the RV sites were pull through. There are some sites that were more tent appropriate. Also this is a first-come, first-serve campground and it tends to fill up quickly. The campground driveway is paved but the sites are dirt/gravel and I found ours was level with some shade during the day (#58). Unlike a previous review the hosts we had were great. Very personable. The rangers also give presentations at night. One morning we had elk in our site and one evening a huge herd was across the street.

Loved it!

Beautiful campground near Mammoth Hot Springs and the surrounding village. Also an easy 10 minute drive to Gardiner which has an amazing little grocery store and quaint downtown with shops and restaurants. Some hikes within walking distance of the campground as well. We got there at 9:30am in mid-July and had no trouble getting a spot. There were still 40 available! Lots of history here: Ft Yellowstone is nearby as well as the original entrance arch. We also saw the most amazing double rainbow I’ve ever seen over our campsite!

Close to Gardnier, MT yet inside the National Park

The campground itself is very well maintained and clean with water spouts everywhere, garbage dumps, and (clean) flushing toilets. All pull thru sites which are very spacious. No reservations so keep that in mind, just get here early and you should haven't a problem getting in 😁.

Great location for tourism

Mammoth is not my first choice campground, but if you're looking for good proximity to enjoy Yellowstone national park, have an RV that you're ready to drop as soon as you get in so you can spend more time exploring the park, and don't mind camping right next to other people (safest from animals except elk) then this camp ground is for you!

I stayed here because it was surprisingly the only one not filled in the early months of summer so I gave it a go. Staff was friendly, check in was easy, and the spots were all pretty decent as far as size goes. It was fun to spend a little more time exploring the town of mammoth as well, since I usually just drive through.

Ranger Review: Éclipse Sun Protective Clothing at Mammoth Cabins

Campground Review:

Camping in Yellowstone is a bucket list item for many, but in the spring and summer, campgrounds fill up fast! Many are first-come first serve, and a fun family vacation can turn into a stressful search for a campsite. Then there's the weather…winter conditions can occur anytime of the year. One fantastic solution: the reservable Mammoth Cabins in Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone National Park.

The scenery around the cabins in other-worldy. Plus, we were there during elk calving season, with elk and their babies wandering through the area… although stay away from those mean mammas! I had one stalk me around the bathrooms during the night; she was none to pleased I was moving around in her area! Owls and pygmy rabbits are just some of the wildlife you'll also see here without venturing too far.

On one hand, you do have to reserve pretty far out to get your cabin for holiday weekends…but you're guaranteed a reservation in a WARM cabin, no matter what the weather (June-u-ary exists in Wyoming, it snowed 17inches this past weekend). Since I was made aware of these, I have noticed that they are available from time to time if you want to make a last minute trip. Some of the more pricy options have bathrooms and showers in the cabin (such luxury), but there are three separate bathroom building complete with showers. Reserve cabins here: https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodgings/cabin/mammoth-hot-springs-hotel-cabins/

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this trip, I tested the Eclipse Equinox Hoodie.

As I mentioned, weather can be variable at any time of the year - but the sun is pretty strong at high elevations and sunscreen can be a pain to reapply; and who really wants to once you have that wolf family in your spotting scope??? No, you're going to want to watch the action and not worry about your sizzling skin. This is where the hoodie comes in. Soft, cool fabric protects your arms while allowing air circulation when the temperature heats up. The hoodie itself can protect your neck too on this particular garment. Plus, it can fold up into an easy to pack bundle with a hidden pocket on the front. I spent hours watching wildlife in the sun with no adverse affects.

The main downside is their sizing. For adults, there really isn't any on any of the cover ups or shirts. The hoodie did not fit my 6 foot 7 inch tall husband I'm afraid. I'm only 5 foot 8 inches, and I felt it fit me great.

Centrally Located

This campground is in the northern part of the park, so if you're coming in or leaving by way of Wyoming, this is the most convenient place to sleep! The bathrooms are very well-maintained and have running water. The spots, while they don't offer much privacy, are spacious especially if you have a tent instead of an RV. This campsite puts you at a prime location from which to explore the springs which are a major destination within the park. Since the campground is so close to the springs, you can get a leg up on the tourist bus crowds that start rolling in around mid-morning. The campsite is in a busier area and is surrounded by a road on both sides, so if you're looking for something a bit more remote, try Indian Creek or Tower Falls.

Conveniently Located

Get here early. The campsight is ran as a first come first serve and typically fill up extremly fast in the summer. There are a lot of rvs here but they are very strick on generator use at night. all in all, its a great location with a high change of elk walking through your site.

Conveniently located

It was mostly ok

There was more privacy here than we were expecting, so that was good. The bathrooms were good, but often really far away. What really sucked though is that a common Yellowstone storm hit while we were away and blew our tent over and soaked everything. We were able to dry everything eventually, but I was a little disturbed that no one helped us, including not a single one of the 3 hosts on site, I also found them to be slightly on the rude side when we checked in. Bring guidelines and rope because there was no easy way to stake our tent in the rocky ground.

Functional

There are different loops on this campground. The loop that is always open, is basically in a field. Blah. The other loops, are in some trees, and often have elk roaming through camp, but they are only open during peak season. Speaking of which, good luck ever getting a spot at this campground. If you do manage to, it is close to Mammoth, and also close to Gardiner… it can make a good base camp for exploring the Northern half of Yellowstone National Park.