No Fires
No WiFi
Mammoth - Yellowstone National Park is located in Wyoming
11 Reviews of Mammoth - Yellowstone National Park
Great location for tourism

Mammoth is not my first choice campground, but if you're looking for good proximity to enjoy Yellowstone national park, have an RV that you're ready to drop as soon as you get in so you can spend more time exploring the park, and don't mind camping right next to other people (safest from animals except elk) then this camp ground is for you!

I stayed here because it was surprisingly the only one not filled in the early months of summer so I gave it a go. Staff was friendly, check in was easy, and the spots were all pretty decent as far as size goes. It was fun to spend a little more time exploring the town of mammoth as well, since I usually just drive through.

Ranger Review: Éclipse Sun Protective Clothing at Mammoth Cabins

Campground Review:

Camping in Yellowstone is a bucket list item for many, but in the spring and summer, campgrounds fill up fast! Many are first-come first serve, and a fun family vacation can turn into a stressful search for a campsite. Then there's the weather…winter conditions can occur anytime of the year. One fantastic solution: the reservable Mammoth Cabins in Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone National Park.

The scenery around the cabins in other-worldy. Plus, we were there during elk calving season, with elk and their babies wandering through the area… although stay away from those mean mammas! I had one stalk me around the bathrooms during the night; she was none to pleased I was moving around in her area! Owls and pygmy rabbits are just some of the wildlife you'll also see here without venturing too far.

On one hand, you do have to reserve pretty far out to get your cabin for holiday weekends…but you're guaranteed a reservation in a WARM cabin, no matter what the weather (June-u-ary exists in Wyoming, it snowed 17inches this past weekend). Since I was made aware of these, I have noticed that they are available from time to time if you want to make a last minute trip. Some of the more pricy options have bathrooms and showers in the cabin (such luxury), but there are three separate bathroom building complete with showers. Reserve cabins here: https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodgings/cabin/mammoth-hot-springs-hotel-cabins/

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this trip, I tested the Eclipse Equinox Hoodie.

As I mentioned, weather can be variable at any time of the year - but the sun is pretty strong at high elevations and sunscreen can be a pain to reapply; and who really wants to once you have that wolf family in your spotting scope??? No, you're going to want to watch the action and not worry about your sizzling skin. This is where the hoodie comes in. Soft, cool fabric protects your arms while allowing air circulation when the temperature heats up. The hoodie itself can protect your neck too on this particular garment. Plus, it can fold up into an easy to pack bundle with a hidden pocket on the front. I spent hours watching wildlife in the sun with no adverse affects.

The main downside is their sizing. For adults, there really isn't any on any of the cover ups or shirts. The hoodie did not fit my 6 foot 7 inch tall husband I'm afraid. I'm only 5 foot 8 inches, and I felt it fit me great.

Make reservations

Make reservations in advanced fills up quick

Barebones & awesome

Very simple campground, very open with little seperation of sites. The stars at night are worth the open space, the view is incredible.

Awesomeness

Yellowstone is amazing no matter where you are staying in the park.

just be careful of wildlife and always practice safe/Bear proof food storage and always go with someone and let someone know where you are going.

new scenery

Campsites were close to a high way and far away from the rest of the park. A nice stop for a change of scenery, but not the best scenery around. The campground hosts were awesome! And so was a wolf ranger talk we went to!

Touristy Yellowstone but this campsite gets the job done!

Yellowstone is one of the more frequented parks. You will see a ton of RV's and about 1,000 people to every bison it seems like. That said, Mammoth is a great location for your first nights stay if coming in through the parks North Entrance, as we did. Grabbing a site so close to the entrance made it possible to take our time in that region of the park for a day until moving on to the next. The hot springs are very interesting. There is a wooden boardwalk for viewing them. The campground itself has a lot of sites (over 80 if I recall correctly) and the fee is $20 per night. We discovered it is open year round which would be great for winter camping in the area. You cannot reserve sites here so you will need to get in early. It was only about half full when we were there in August which really surprised us.

In all her glory

Yellowstone has always been one of my favorite places on earth, but when you gather with all of your extended family to celebrate the life of a member who served in the park for many years, this location brought perfection for all.

Nothing like Yellowstone

, this is the best place to go camping

Underwhelming

Too many people! I know, it's Yellowstone and I expected it, but it was awful. There were so many people I felt like a sardine in a can. There were kids yelling at all hours, and there was constant noise. Sleep didn't happen here. The good points would have to be the park. I loved the animals and the scenery. The tourists, not so much. I did like the shower access however, it was a chance to clean up in the middle of our weeklong camping trip. The food available is lame. One company owns all of the restaurants, and every restaurant has the same overpriced food. Take your own food. It's cheaper and better! Check out the pork chops I made ;)