About Whitewater Lake - Kettle Moraine State Forest
Whitewater Lake - Kettle Moraine State Forest is located in Wisconsin
8 Reviews of Whitewater Lake - Kettle Moraine State Forest
Family fun!!

Great place to take the fam, big sites not to close to other campers. Lots of trees to hang a hammock and relax, great beach, good hiking. Going back for a weekend to check out the walk ins.

Ranger review: Morsel Spork at Whitewater Lake- Kettle Moraine State Forest

Campground Review: Another nice visit to my favorite park! I love that this campground is small and secluded, yet close enough to cities that would have anything you needed. There is lots to do- two lakes, many hiking trails, and a great beach. We took our boat out for the first time on Whitewater Lake and enjoyed it. We live in Delavan, and the lake there gets filled with people so you can’t enjoy yourself without some yahoo zooming by. Whitewater lake is a big difference- it’s spread out enough that you can enjoy quiet time for fishing and relaxing yet there is still plenty of space for tubing or hotdogging on your jet ski without disturbing others. Rice Lake seems even calmer, but we didn’t get out on it this time. The beach is my favorite part- maybe because we come so often just for a day trip? It’s nicely spread out on a hill so it’s easy to see your kids in the water no matter where you are sitting. The shady areas get claimed first, so you may want to bring an umbrella or canopy if you come later in the day. The pit toilets and changing rooms are clean and maintained. There are also garbage and recycling cans, and it seems like every visit I make someone comes around and empties them so they don’t attract a lot of bugs or overflow with trash. As far as the campground goes, there are three separate sections. The east loop, the west loop, and the Hickory Woods group camp. Some of the sites on the east and west loop can be hit or miss- there’s a lot of size difference. The sites are all pretty private with lots of trees and brush between sites. There are a lot of long driveways for backing RV’s into. We were at site 610, on the east loop. This was one of the few electric sites available at the campground. The bathrooms were right behind this site, which was convenient, but it might get a little annoying to have so much foot traffic right next to your site when the campground is busier. We just wound up hanging a tapestry to give us a little more privacy. Speaking of bathrooms, the only ones available in the whole park are pit toilets and there are no shower facilities available- you have to make do with a dip in the lake or a wash up at camp. For us, it wasn’t a dealbreaker since we were only staying a few days and we live close if we needed an emergency shower, but if you were staying for a longer period it might be more of an issue. The Kettle Moraine South Horse Camp is 15 minutes away and they have showers available. I’ve never been there, so I can’t say how nice they are. The only other drawback is that the park office is not open very often. Other than those two things this park is perfect!

Product Review: As a ranger for the Dyrt I get products to test from time to time. I tested the Morsel Spork. https://morselspork.com I got both the regular and the XL. Both are high quality- lightweight but sturdy. The longer one was excellent for stirring things in a pot over the fire and held up to the heat without softening or melting. It would also be great for using in food pouches- no more leaving bits in the bottom or getting your hand covered in food clinging to the side! Both were comfortable to eat with, even for my 4 year old. I especially liked how the spatula part has both a flat and a curved side so you can use the side that’s most appropriate for what you are scraping. The curved side is great for getting everything out from under the lip of a can. The cutting edge on the fork part works well for softer things yet is not harsh on your mouth. I was able to cut tomatoes and saw through some carrots with it. Clean up is a breeze. Food wipes right off and I used the spatula to scrape out all the pots and plates before washing so I needed less water for dishes. Another useful feature is the hole in the handle. I used a small carabiner clipper through the holes to keep them together when I throw them in my kitchen sack. There’s a lot of sporks out there, but the Morsel is the way to go!

Ranger review: Morsel Spork at Whitewater Lake- Kettle Moraine State Forest

Nice area

We live near here, so mostly go for day use but we have stayed in the group campsite J, which was nice, large, and private. There were a ton of Boy Scouts staying at another group site and a large group of adults who were having a really good time but the only time you could hear anyone else was when you were walking to the toilets. The beach on whitewater lake is one of our favorite places to go in the summer. We drove through the regular campsite and there is a lot of vegetation so it seems like it would be pretty private.

Isolated but not

The thick brush between campsites allowed this area to feel isolated, but without having to be far from civilization. Vault toilets only at this site (within the South Unit of the state forest their are other camp grounds with flush toilets and showers). Mix of RV and tent sites and adjacent group campsite with separate entrance. Picnic table and fire pit standard at all sites. Firewood can be purchased at contact station or from the campground host. This campground is at the far south end of the state forest and a little more remote than some of the parts of the park that are farther north. Lots of hiking, biking, skiing, and horse trails throughout the state forest which runs about 20 mi north to south (with a designated scenic drive from one end to the other). Site is walking distance to the beach on rice lake. Ice age trail runs right through the campground too, but the majority of the forest's trails are a short drive away. During peak season the sites are $20/night, plus state park vehicle access fee (currently $8/day for WI license plates, $11/day for out of state - but annual pass is usually the way to go for camping).

Campground map: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kms/pdfs/whitewatercampmap.pdf

Beautiful view!

Beautiful view! Lovely wooded lots nestled in the kettles

Beach Day

This is by far my favorite Beach near my hometown. It's small quaint and everybody usually has a good time.

Hidden away and beautiful

A nice and secluded campground. I was a camp counselor and took my group of 18 campers to this site. They were very kind at accommodating group camping for us! There was a great sand volleyball court we used during the day. We also walked to Whitewater lake and spent the day there which was very nice and relaxing!! They have swim areas roped off and spots for shade and picnic tables. Been here two years in a row with the same group and the camp continues to send groups there. Only downside was a raccoon stole my marshmallows….but that isn't the campgrounds fault.