About Wildcat Mountain State Park
Wildcat Mountain State Park is located in Wisconsin
8 Reviews of Wildcat Mountain State Park
Star Gazing

I grew up in the city and have rarely gone camping far from medium or large cities. When I looked up at the sky the first night here, I was astonished by how many stars were visible. I believe there is an observatory on the grounds, but I did not visit it. I think I will return in the future with my families telescope, some star charts, and a compass.

Camping on a mountain!

We kayaked the Kickapoo river and stayed here for a night. We didn't reserve a site so the only spots left were the walk-in sites. There were carts to use and parking wasn't too far so it wasn't bad at all. We were close to a vault toilet and the flush toilets/showers weren't too far away. It was recommended that we keep all food in our car, but we were drinking and too lazy/drunk to take back all our food to the car… so we woke up in the middle of the night to find some smart raccoon (or whatever it was) had enjoyed our breakfast. We kept it in a cooler, but it figured out how to open it!

Hiking trails were pretty close and we had quite the exercise going up/down the mountain. We drove a truck so getting up/down the mountain wasn't a problem, but if you have a low car, the front end is going to get scraped at the bottom of the mountain.

Wildcat Mountain SP

Great place, quite and never used bug spray. Sites for tents are spacious and the group camps are awesome. We stayed in Group C.

Driftless region favorite!

Loved staying at this campground. I was in the area to run the driftless marathon and needed a place to stay for one night. I loved it so much that I’ve already planned another trip! My site was hike in but the distance was pretty short. There were wagons available for transporting things to sites but I just carried my pack. No pit toilets but the bathroom facilities were close enough. Really beautiful spot in my favorite region of Wisconsin!

One of our favorites!

We found this gem in 2016 and loved it. The campsites are wooded, far enough apart, well maintained, and bathrooms were clean. The driveway leading to the campground is a bit daunting (especially if pulling a camper), but its well worth it! We took the opportunity to kayak down the Kickapoo and had a blast - make sure you do some exploring while you are here. This is a top pick of ours and well worth a try if you are considering - you wont be dissapointed!

Best memories ever.

Many years ago I went to Wildcat Mountain State Park with my future son's dad. It was the first time I farted in front of him. We were on our way from northern Wisconsin to Gurnee, Illinois and Great America theme park, circa 1977. Years later, circa July 6th, 1984, we again spent the night there with our then 1 year old son, setting up the tent in the glow of the headlights from our 1977 Honda Civic. At that time we were on our way to The House on The Rock, where we weren't allowed to use our stroller, so had to carry that just barely walking 1 year old baby boy. Good times, and fond memories both times.

Great for families

Very nice park. Great views. We were hoping for some more rock faces and challenging/longer distance hiking. We'd love to come back and see the ice cave when it's cold enough for ice.

Very spacious

The sites were spaced apart far enough so you weren't on top of the other campers. Very beautiful scenery, especially from the lookout. All the fire rings come with grill racks for cooking. Showers were very nice as well. I look forward to returning with my family as soon as I can.