Equestrian
About Bumping Lake Campground

Bumping Lake Campground sits just off the forested shore of Bumping Lake in the Cascade Mountains east of Mount Rainier National Park, about 45 miles northwest of Naches, Washington. Fantastic peaks, high-country lakes and old-growth forests provide visitors with unique and surprising landscapes, making the campground an ideal setting for both individual and family camping excursions.

Recreation

In addition to being a prime location for hiking, boating, fishing, hunting, horseback riding and mountain biking in summer and early fall, visitors can take advantage of skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling in the winter months.

Bumping Lake is a popular destination for boating, water skiing, fishing and swimming. A boat ramp is located in the lower section of the campground.

The American Ridge Trail is a popular among hikers and equestrians, meandering through more than 26 miles of towering forests, mountain meadows and past high elevation lakes from the Bumping River to the Pacific Crest Trail.

Facilities

This campground has an upper and lower section, offering sites that accommodate both tent and RV camping. Each site is equipped with a table and campfire ring with grill. Vault toilets and drinking water are provided, but no hookups are available.

Natural Features

Bumping Lake was created naturally by glaciers and is fed by snowmelt. It is surrounded by rugged mountain terrain, wetlands and old-growth conifer forests.

The area supports wildlife such as deer, porcupine, native fish and migratory birds. Endangered and threatened species, including the Northern Bald Eagle, the Northern Spotted Owl, gray wolves and grizzly bears also find havens in nearby ecosystems.

Nearby Attractions

Visitors enjoy making a day trip to nearby Mount Rainer National Park, which offers sublime views of glaciers, subalpine ecology and volcanic landscapes.

Hikers may want to traverse a portion of the spectacular Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), one of the world's premier National Scenic Trails. This trail showcases some of North America's most fantastic scenery as it winds its way from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon and Washington.

ADA Access: N

Hike In
Contact
Bumping Lake Campground is located in Washington
Directions
From Yakima, Washington, travel 25 miles on Highway 12 to the junction with Highway 410. Travel 29 miles on Highway 410 (Chinook Pass Highway) to milepost 88.4. Take Forest Road 18 (Bumping River Road) for 11.7 miles to campground.
9 Reviews of Bumping Lake Campground
Ranger Review: Ice Mule coolers at Bumping River

campground: my family and i have been enjoying this area since i was a kid. this spot will always hold a very special place in my heart. camping along bumping river seriously has it all, wide open sites that allow shooting, biking, fishing, fires, you name it. a very short drive to the lake. please keep this area clean! this is a dispersed camping area, no toilets, no tables, no potable water. be prepared and do your part to keep our forest clean.

Product: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At Bumping River CG, I tested two Icemule Jaunt 9-liter capacity cooler backpacks! Im giving this product a 4 star rating! These backpacks are very small and compact which I love. Its rated to hold a 6 pack but I would say you can comfortably fit 7! Its comfortable, light and stylish to wear. They kept our drinks cold, my only complaint was that I noticed on day 3 it was starting to sweat. We were camping in very warm weather so I think that played a part. I would not recommend using this bag as your main source of cooler. Certainly perfect for a day out on the boat, kayak, bike ride or even a short day hike.

Love this place

Our go to spot, love walking the dogs around the lake and along the gravel road. It’s very quiet and peaceful. The part is clean and the camp hosts are very friendly and helpful. They have vaulted toilets, they are clean but towards the end of the season they can sometimes get stinky so we always bring air fresheners to leave in the bathrooms..

Ranger Review: Grubstick Master Kit at Upper Bumping Lake Campground

Campground Review:

Bumping Lake is a beautiful area of the Cascade Mountains and the campground itself is pretty large.  There are two sections, Upper and Lower.  When I was looking online researching which part of the campground I wanted to reserve, I could not figure out what was on the water or what was closest.  I got so lucky with site 43!!!  Site 43, 44, and 45 are in a separate little loop in the Upper Campground right on the lake.  From the number of reserved signs after ours, I would say the secret is out.  3,5,7,8,9, and 10 are also technically on the lake, but they are quite a bit above the shore.  You can get a peek of the lake, but you have a little walk through the woods to get down to the water.   The Upper Campground has no hook ups, vault toilets, water spigots throughout.  The sites were nicely spaced and wooded.  The Lower Campground is not on Bumping Lake and seems to be set a bit more for RV camping with pull through sites, mostly paved pads, and a bit closer together than the Upper.  Same as Upper, no hook ups and vault toilets.

The campground is clean and well maintained by the folks at Hoodoo Recreation.  They checked the vault toilets several times per day and also have fire wood for sale at their host site.  The campground also has a really nice Day Use / Picnic area and Boat Launch. It was still chilly in mid June and there were plenty of open sites.  I would imagine this is a very popular campground in the summer.  We reserved through recreation.gov but hoodoorecreation.com will do the job as well.

Bumping Lake Marina is not part of the campground but is on the other side of the lake just down the road.  There is a little store with firewood, snacks, non alcoholic drinks, and fishing tackle.  You can also rent a little boat from them if you would like fish the lake.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, occasionally I get to test products.  This trip I got to play with The Master Kit from Grubstick: https://grubstick.com/products/master-kit .  It arrived in a nice nylon storage bag.  My immediate thought was this would be a really nice gift!  Maybe a wedding present for a couple who loves to camp!  I took everything out, washed it, and planned my meals.  We made bacon cups with cheesy scrambled eggs and pico, burgers and veggies in the cages, hotdogs (of course!) and crescent roll tubes as buns.  We did not make s'mores even though we brought the ingredients.  However, we did make the S'Maffle that I found on their website under recipes.  Oh man!  What a treat!  For the most part, everything worked really well, cleaned nicely, and was well built.

I had an issue with one of my Gubsticks.  As soon as we telescoped it, right out of the package, it fell apart.  After we got home from camping I sent Grubstick and email.  I let them know what happened and I also gave them suggestion for the Master Kit.  A huge reason I bought the big kit was so my husband and I could make meals at the same time and eat together.  This kit only came with one bacon clip.  As we made breakfast, it took forever with one clip to make four cups.  As a suggestion, I felt like the big kit should come with 2 clips.  Randy emailed me back right away.  He not only sent me a replacement stick, but 2 more clips and another Grubpocket!  Now we can have bacon together for breakfast and beyond!

This is such a fun product.  I am looking forward to trying the other recipes they have on their blog and thinking of creative new things to make.  I am hoping this lasts years to come.  Their customer service is top notch, beyond expectations.  My outdoorsy friends will most likely be getting Grubstick kits in the future!

Hidden Gem in The Wenatchee

Camping right on the Lake. Boat rentals. Camp Store. Always windy and temps drop at night even after warm days so dress accordingly.

This campground is absolutely picturesque! The lake is beautiful

There is a boat dock right near the campground. A small general store is open until 5pm.

Quiet and Fun

The lake is within a short walk from the camp sites. The sites are also somewhat secluded which is nice for me since it provides some privacy. They also let you scrounge around for your own firewood from fallen trees and branches.

Lakeside Camping

We stayed for three nights. Our campsite was right on the water side which made swimming and playing in the water so easy. The camp also has boats to rent. So we rented one to get a Geocache that was on an island on the lake. The lake is five miles long with lots of camping spots along the lake. They also have cabins you can rent.

Lots of room and privacy

This place was great they had a ton of room and lots of trees between put campsite and the others. The lot was mostly sandy and the tent area was very flat. There was a woodsy area behind the site where kids could play. The bathrooms are fancy out houses no place to wash hands. Lots of bugs in the evening. To get to the lake you drive up to where it says boat launching site.

there is also a near by marina where you can rent fishing boats for 25$ and hour.

we had a great time.

Ranger Review: Adventure Blanket/Belmont Blanket at Bumping Lake

Campground review: Perfect place to go with the family! Bathrooms, fire rings, lots of space! I love boating to the little islands around the lake! Beautiful!

Product review: http://www.belmontblanket.com/sdasd/ this product is currently sold out so I have linked the other items they have for sale. As a ranger for the Dryt I have gotten the chance to test out this awesome Adventure blanket! This blanket is the true definition of an adventure blanket! With its water proof material and warm fabric I will certainly be taking this blanket on all my up coming travels! Our first night at camp I decided to use my Adventure blanket over my down sleeping bag that is rated to 20 degrees. My partner insisted I would get cold so I kept my bag near by. I woke up comfortably wrapped in the Adventure blanket! This thin blanket kept me warm all throughout the first night I was very pleased. Our second night I wanted to lay under the stars in my hammock with my Adventure blanket. This blanket is seriously so cozy that I actually fell asleep! Again I woke up comfortable and warm. I am beyond impressed with this Belmont product! It also arrived in one of my favorite colors so thats a huge plus! Five Stars!