Adwolf, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Adwolf Camping Reviews
Phenomenal campground!

A great out of the way location. A bit of a drive in but worth the travel. Extremely clean and well maintained facility. Peaceful and level spots. The hosts are awesome and a great place to relax with no cell phone coverage or WiFi. Rent some kayaks and enjoy nature. We will be back.

Great!

This was our first time camping. Overall it was a great experience. Only reason I gave it 4 stars was Bc the bath house and dump station nearest our campsite was out of order. The dogs and kids loved it!

All you need for a weekend getaway

Beautiful campground right on the lake can’t beat it! Well updates and kept campground nice restrooms facility!

Excellent private campground

Stayed here on the way back from Hiking the AT. Clean and hot showers, great bathhouse with lots of privacy. The campsites where clean and well spaced with a lot of greenery in between. Offers both long and short time stays!

Unique

Spacious campsites and a lot of different kinds to choose from! Field sites, wooded sites, large, small AND hike in remote sites! Clean, updated bathrooms. They deliver your firewood although I didn’t have to buy any because the previous campers left plenty!

Dog friendly with no mention of breed restrictions. I definitely will go again! All around professionally managed and friendly staff too!

Great spot to relax or explore

There are a LOT of sites at this campground. First come first served sites are available on the lake and thought the campground. Many sites are reservible as well. There is hiking and fishing within the campground. Additionally, it is convenient to the towns of Blowing Rock and Boon as well as Moses H. Cone Memorial Park. The sites on the lake are small but fairly private. Many of the sites a cross the street from the lake are larger and some are fairly private as well. Showers and restrooms can be a bit dirty at times, but showers are hot

On the Lake

Great place to camp and fish.

Older Campground with Great Location

Julian Price Campground is part of the Julian Price Memorial Park, which is along the Blue Ridge Parkway in the northern part of North Carolina. I have heard about this park for many years, so I wanted to finally camp there. It is an older park, and it shows. We stayed at site A4, and I chose this site for a few reasons. It was close to the lake, but unfortunately, we couldn’t see the lake from the site. Many of the sites in the A loop are reservable, and they have been reserved for several weeks(maybe months) in advance. They are the best sites as far as seeing the lake and sometimes because they are larger. The worst part I discovered about sites in the A loop is that you can hear traffic from the Blue Ridge Parkway all day long except for two to three hours in the middle of the night(about 1:30 to 4:30). On average, you can count on about twenty-five vehicles every five minutes(I know because I counted). It doesn’t help that the parkway is under construction and the road is gravel, which makes the sounds of vehicles even louder. The restrooms in A loop are old and need updating. There are no showers in A loop. The only showers are between B and D loops, which are on the other side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. On the positive side, the showers in a new bath house, and they are private shower/restroom units. We rode through all of the loops to see what the other sites were like, and some of the sites are seldom used if the picnic tables and surrounding vegetation is any indication. Some of the picnic tables are covered in moss. Those were mostly in the sites that were small or sloped. For that reason, it is a good idea to look at the photos on the website for each site before reserving. Many of the sites are walk-in sites and you can set up before the 3:00 time for reservable sites. As far as activities, there is no swimming, but fishing is allowed. There is also a boat ramp, and you can rent canoes, kayaks, and SUPs. The lake is hatchery supported, and I did witness someone catching a fish as we walked along the lake trail. While we were in this area, we saw several small deer, including one that came through our campsite. Our campsite was spacious, and it had a concrete picnic table, a fire ring, a lantern pole, and a tent pad. The tent pad needed some maintenance since the dirt had washed onto it and made it slightly sloped. Not until later did I discover that there was a tall dead tree next to our tent. Only the top part was dead, but it could be a potential danger. The site next to ours was sectioned off because of a dead tree. If you are staying in A loop, I give it two stars, especially since the sites and bath house need maintenance, and because of the road noise. If you are staying in B or D loop, I would give it three or four stars. The sites in E loop are mainly for RVs and have less shade. One section in the A loop also is an open field and has limited shade. Overall, it’s not a bad choice for a campground, but it needs updating. What it has going for it is location. It is along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Cone Memorial Park is down the road, which is a great destination in itself. There are lots of hiking trails and the beauty of the mountains is spectacular.

Great tent sites

The bathroom that we used (at the top of the campground) is in need of updating. The showers in particular were moldy and didn’t drain well.

The campsites were amazing and ours backed up to a state park. In late July it was cool in the evenings. Some of the fire rings have ‘flip over’ grills which were super convenient. My 95 lb dog was welcome also. Very pretty Campground!

Southern Gospel Non-Profit Camp

The God's Wilderness Campground wasn't much to brag about, but the couple who run this Christian-themed camp are super-religious, good-hearted people who live full-time on Paradise Island.

Priscella Cline Smith and her husband host a lot of church groups, revivals and Southern Gospel sings, but they also welcome tent, RV and ATV campers looking for cheap accommodations near the Hatfield-McCoy Trail system

The campground offers tent camping,  hook-ups for RV's, and lodging in facilities with names such as "The Upper Room Inn," "The New Testament Bunkhouse," and "The Vineyard Bungalow."  I went for the primitive option at $7.00/night and camped next to the Guyandotte River which is known for its good fishing.

They have some interesting oddities here such as the Teepee Chapel, the "Jesus Praying in the Rock" stone, and the "Passion Trail" portraying Christ's birth, ministry and resurrection.

To find Paradise Island, WV, set your GPS for 777 Paradise Island Verner, WV 25650

If you camp here, I recommend a side-trip to Matewan, WV, a historic town know for the "Matewan Massacre" where abused miners revolted against coal barons and their security thugs.  You can actually see bullet-holes and slugs in the walls around town where Sheriff Sid Hatfield and armed miners shot and killed seven coalmine detectives who came to town with eviction notices for miners trying to organize a union.

nice blue ridge parkway campground

no reservation required.  There is always room to stay.  We were motorcycle camping the blue ridge parkway and camped here for the night.  There was a place to eat and drink not far down the road at Laurel Springs.

Beautiful Place !

Gorgeous, out of the way campground ! Little tight to navigate, but have definitely seen worse. Very quite and slow paced. Camp store is one of the finest I’ve seen. Reasonably priced for a camp store. Didn’t get to stay long, as it was a drive through, but would definitely come back !! Only down side was the price.Would’ve been 5 stars, but $63 dollars for a Sunday night. One little night. Seems quite steep, and could’ve found a hotel room cheaper. But, needing a place to hook up and take a shower…Thanks for being here KOA !!

Ranger Review: Gregory Intertia 20 H2O at Honey Bear Campground

Campground Review:

This is the second year in a row of us ending our summer road trip at Honey Bear Campground in Boone, NC. Honey Bear is a medium sized campground with around 60 sites that are a mix of full hook up, RV water& electric, Tent water& electric, primitive camp sites, and a group tent camp area. There is also two small cabins to rent. All sites with hook ups also included cable hook ups. I have included a campground map in my pictures for your orientation. All the sites are gravel and most sites are wooded with lots of shade. The sites are a little sloped, so have leveling equipment ready. The sites vary from small and close together, to medium size with established plumeria shrubs separating sites for some privacy. All style sites include a picnic table and fire ring. If the campground is full, they do have an overflow area that they allow you to boondock at until a site opens up.

Check-in was easy at the office at the entrance of the campground. We stayed on site B12 again this year as we find it private, well shaded, and close to a small creek that provided background water noise when it’s flowing good. This site does have a good slope to it and we had to use a stack of 3 Cacmo leveling blocks to get level, but if anything, this is my only minor complaint about this site.

The bathhouse is centrally located and older, but functional and cleaned daily. There are also laundry machines available between the men’s and women’s area.

Firewood and ice was available at the office. You can even walk down, pay for wood and/or ice and they will deliver it to your site! The office also has limited other supplies. There is a full grocery store less than 10 minutes away. Connected to the office is a coffee bar that also had some seating and a TV(Seemed to be a teen hang out in the evenings).

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did have wi-fi, however we only got a good connection if we were near the office/coffee bar.

The campground also has a dog run, which our dogs loved. After being on the road for two weeks they enjoy every opportunity to get off leash and run. The dog area was surprisingly clean, so either the dog owners are doing the right thing and cleaning up after their dogs, or the staff monitors and cleans this area regularly.

Being right on the outskirts of Boone is very beneficial. The area offers all types of outdoor activities, from hiking, rock climbing, fishing, mountain biking, and an assortment of snow sports in the winter. Additionally, you’ll find lots of shopping, restaurants, breweries & wineries, and appealing little towns around the area to explore. Also, Boone sits at 3,333 feet (surrounding mountains go up to 6K), so even in the middle of the summer you’ll find very comfortable day and night temperatures.

Pro Tip: Check with the office for the Saturday night movie! Weather dependent, they show a movie outdoors on the front lawn. Bring your chair or blanket and a cooler/snacks, and come hang out for a movie with fellow campers. They had multiple fire pits going the Saturday we were there, so bring your favorite snacks to toast over the fire.

With this being our second year to stop here, we have fallen in love with the area. We recommend this campground and will keep returning to this area. I wish it was a little closer to where we live and we’d come here a lot more often!

----------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the Gregory Intertia 20 H2O Hydration Pack. This backpack from Gregory turned out to be my new favorite day hiking pack. The 20L easily fits all my day hiking equipment with room to spare. The 3L reservoir is plenty of water for a day hike even on the warmest of days. What I also really like is the side pockets. They are very deep, so if you are on a shorter hike where you are not using the 3L reservoir, you don’t have to worry about water bottles popping out of the side pockets (I’ve had other packs with short side pockets where water bottles fall out easily). The front mesh pocket is also large enough to hold all that“need now” type gear and there is a small quick stow pocket that is lined and perfect for storing glasses or sunglasses. Even loaded down with more than I’d usually take for a day hike, I found that with the multiple adjustment straps, this pack proved to be very comfortable and rode perfect on my back. I highly recommend this pack for day hikes and look forward to trying some of their larger packs in the future.

Fun stop on the way to another campground

It was a nice, well maintained, clean campground. It did get warm enough to make the porta John smell pretty bad, but the kids had a good day hiking.

Large campsites on a mountaintop

The people who own it are super friendly. The campsites are very spaced out. The elevation is high so weather is nice for those trying to escape the summer heat. Bathhouse was nice and clean. The hike to the pond was a little more strenuous than we anticipated but once you get there, there is a nice creek and we caught a trout in the pond right away. I wish there was a playground for the kids but overall it was very nice. Close to Boone. The state maintained gravel road used to access campground was narrow and would be difficult to get a large camper up there, although there were lots of large ones there. We would go back.

We had site 17. It was long and wide enough. Trees kept us cooler. Very clean. Restrooms and showers very clean. Had a store.

Royal Oak Campground - Lots of fun!

We loved this campground! We stayed here for our longest camping trip yet - 5 nights! The campsite is on a wooden platform on a wooded hill which turned out to be very cool! It help reign in the kids and provided a nice flat surface for the tent. There was a decent amount of fire wood that we foraged from around the campsite and up the hill but they do sell firewood at the visitors center. Our campsite 11 at Royal Oak campground was the most secluded of the sites, which was sweet, but there is a bit longer of a walk from your car up the stairs to the site. And the longest walk of all the sites to the bathrooms which are up a hill. It had a fire ring and picnic table and plenty of room to set up a tent. We ended up hanging a hammock from the deck as well! The bathrooms are great, very clean. I appreciated the unisex/family bathrooms that had a shower, so helpful with kids.

So much to do here! Scenic views, so many hiking trails, rhododendrons blooming everywhere, a beautiful warm lake to swim in, boating, fishing!

The beach did get very crowded during the day, but we were there 4th of July weekend so I pretty much expected that. Early in the morning the beach was empty. The beach is guarded and has a diving board! The water was very clean and not too cold.  Lots of bathrooms around the lake and picnic areas. We also rented a canoe for a few hours which was fun and affordable.

Of course, you have to hike to Molly's Knob - Vista Trail for the best view at the park! It is pretty tough uphill but the scenic views are worth it! We found wild berries growing at the top, which was a nice treat after that hike.

Also, the Rangers were friendly and helpful when we got a dead battery in our car!

We loved camping here - already making plans to come back next year!

An amazing getaway

Very peaceful on the lake. Close to the racetrack and great fishing spots.

Awesome piece of Heaven!

An extremely clean, well maintained campground with something for everyone. We pull a 38’ fifth wheel and had no problems getting into our creek side space. Great hiking trail and loved not having cell service…we will be back!

Awesome piece of Heaven!

Very nice

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Lots to do: bowling, pool, and many planned activities for the kids. Restaurant at the bowling alley. Really large pull through site.

Nice campground. Most lots have electricity, water hookup is at the road and usually shared with several other campers. Bath house is very small. Lots of trees and shade. Trail leads to creek and park area. Good price.

Ranger Review: Mountain House Chicken Noodle Casserole at Profile Campsite

Campsite Review:

About 20 minutes from Boone NC, a new parking area and approach trail begin the Profile hike.  This parking area has been in the works for years and we were excited to finally see the new bathhouse and extension of the trail.

We parked near the bathhouse and filled out our slip (required of all campers and hikers) before climbing grandfather mountain.  Several additional campsites have been added in this area, as well as some being closed due to black bear activity.

We hiked about 3 miles, past the creek, through rhododendron tunnels and through grassy gatherings of stinging nettles.  Our son told everyone we passed not to touch them, but that they could eat them!

We made it to the Profile campsite - about a mile from the top, but a great campsite.  There are several great trees for hanging hammocks and two good tent pads sites.  This site also has bear cables for hanging food and items that the bears would deem interesting.  We were only here for half an hour before additional campers joined us.  They entered as loud, cursing college students, but changed their language upon seeing our youngest and were very friendly.

We enjoy the campfire pit here best as it is surrounded by rocks that block the wind and make a fire possible at this elevation, but this trip ended in a severe thunderstorm and lots and lots of rain which made that impossible this time.  There are no facilities at this campsite - but this is a great intro to backpacking site to use as the hike is reasonable, both in length and elevation.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products.  At this campsite, I tested the Mountain House Chicken Noodle Casserole which was delicious!!  https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/product/homestyle-chicken-noodle-casserole.html

We most commonly carry our own dehydrated concoctions or more basic meals, but I was pleasantly surprised by both the texture and taste of the Chicken Noodle Casserole.  2 adults and 1 child shared this meal (listed as 3 servings) and were pleasantly satisfied.  We rehydrated 2 pouches, but ended up eating the second pouch the next morning.  There were lots of vegetables and enough flavor (and salt) to satisfy the post hiking cravings.  Our son was especially pleased with this meal, as he said it tasted like chicken pot pie, one of his favorites!

We boiled water at the beginning of our hike so we could refill waterbottles before heading up.  We usually hike to the top after setting up camp but with the weather looking chancy, we weren't going to risk hitting the spring.  I carried the rehydrating pouch up in my pack and ate about 2 hours later and it was NOT a mushy mess.  I added exactly 2 cups of water and it was perfect.  I can't stress that enough.  I have eaten so many mushy rehydrated meals on the Appalachian Trail, I nearly expect all freeze-dried meals to do the same.

I would strongly recommend this meal, especially if you like chicken pot pie!

Not enough room

Sites are on top of each other and there is so much traffic in an out on a one lane road. It’s a wonder no one has gotten hurt. The river is nice.

Dry camping

Only $20 a night. Beautiful no showers. Decent spots, lots of hiking to do. The rangers however are a bit rude and hard to deal with. The camp host however were great.

Very quiet

Very quiet. Everything has to be carried in from the parking lot. No showers but there is water and pit toilets. The camp sites were very clean.

A nice spot, albeit a little pricey

We stopped here for the night on our way to Kentucky. The campground is nice and the host was very friendly and attentive. There were showers, but when we were there there was a problem with the well, and we were advised to be careful about how much water we used.

I have no complaints but that for just tent camping, the price seemed a little high. Now we could have found something cheaper, but I do feel it's a bit higher than what I typically pay for sites similar to this.

At the end of the day, this was a nice spot, close to some trails and it's pretty well taken care of.

Great camping, terrible cabins.

We stayed here during ski season and it was great! Not very busy, which was fine and only 15 mins to the ski slopes. That trip we had a great experience.

On another occasion, over Labor Day weekend, we tried to get a spot but they were ful. So we decided to rent one of their cabins. Upon arriving, we found out that they had switched our cabin to a different one then the one we had originally booked, and it was so small (which would have been okay, but we had a young baby who needed to sleep in a port-a-crib, which did not fit anywhere in the cabin) but the real issue was that there was mold on the ceiling and coming down some of the walls. We immediately went down to the office, at first we were told there was nothing they could do. After I went momma-bear on them and let them know I would not be staying in a moldy cabin with a baby and demanded my money back, they finally agreed and gave us a refund. Luckily I was able to find a hotel that still had a room available.

So long story short: great for camping, beware of cabins.

Great place

Rained. Plenty of space. Neighbor ran generator from 8am-10pm.

Ahhhhhh...

Stone Mountain state park is my all time favorite camping spots. We take our kids every year to their beautiful campground. There is so much to do; hike, swim, picnic. Cheap, and easily accessible Stone Mountain is a great weekend get away.