Pets Unknown
About Hurricane Campground

Hurricane Campground is one of the best kept secrets in southwest Virginia. Located along a rushing mountain stream under the shade of hemlock and rhododendron, this campground offers a peaceful setting for those looking to relax as well as visitors looking for outdoor adventure.

From the campsite, hikers can access many trails including the Appalachian Trail. This well-known trail extends more than 2,189 miles throughout the Appalachian Mountains across 14 states. It is a protected greenway and owns the title as the first National Scenic Trail.

Recreation

Visitors frequently explore the Hurricane Knob Trail. The loop trail, at 1.1 miles, parallels Hurricane Creek for about half a mile, crosses two wooden bridges and ascends to the picturesque Hurricane Knob. The creeks are stocked with trout for a relaxing day of fishing.

Facilities

Hurricane has drinking water, flush toilets, hot showers and a playing field. Large RVs are not recommended. Each site comes with a lantern pole, picnic table and campfire ring.

Natural Features

The campground is perched along Hurricane Branch and Comers Creek, among colorful rhododendron. Several groomed, grassy fields unfold at the campground, but the campsites are nicely shaded by mixed woods of oak and hemlock. Hurricane Knob is nearby with an elevation from 2800 to 3050 feet.

Nearby Attractions

Virginia Creeper Trail, Grayson Highlands State Park and Hungry Mother State Park.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$18.00 - $36.00
National Forest
Hurricane Campground is located in Virginia
Directions
From I-81: Take Marion exit 45 onto Virginia State Route 16 South. Follow SR 16 for 15 miles to SR 650 (5 miles south of Sugar Grove). Turn right on gravel SR 650, and follow for 2 miles to the paved campground entrance road.
5 Reviews of Hurricane Campground
Beautiful & fun

This campground has a long and steep paved road going to it from up the mountain. We really enjoyed going up and down each time, it’s nothing to be scared of! Once you get to the grounds itself, their is a huge canopy of Oak and Hemlock shading the sites. It really is a gorgeous place to stay

Fun stop on the way to another campground

It was a nice, well maintained, clean campground. It did get warm enough to make the porta John smell pretty bad, but the kids had a good day hiking.

A nice spot, albeit a little pricey

We stopped here for the night on our way to Kentucky. The campground is nice and the host was very friendly and attentive. There were showers, but when we were there there was a problem with the well, and we were advised to be careful about how much water we used.

I have no complaints but that for just tent camping, the price seemed a little high. Now we could have found something cheaper, but I do feel it's a bit higher than what I typically pay for sites similar to this.

At the end of the day, this was a nice spot, close to some trails and it's pretty well taken care of.

Quiet and Well-kept

Great campground with large sites and a nice bathroom with warm showers. Stayed 2 nights but would have liked to stay longer. Really good access to the AT, we saw no one for 6 miles except a bear.

Beautiful hidden gem

This campground is stunning and truly a hidden gem in Mt. Rogers. There are some open sites and several secluded sites. Many abut a creek or secluded forest. I wish I had known that the best route into the campground is 16 to 650. Instead, I took 650 from the north west, which turns out to be a 4 mile stretch of gravel road - which my little car had a rough time handling.