Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
About Moosehorn

Moosehorn Campground is located just off the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway on the shores of Moosehorn Lake at an elevation of 10,400 feet. The byway cuts through the Uinta Mountains, which are known for their abundant recreational opportunities and scenic beauty.

Recreation

Moosehorn Lake offers canoeing, kayaking and fishing for rainbow trout in a beautiful setting. The lake is open only to non-motorized watercraft.

Many hiking, biking, horse and off-road vehicle trails crisscross this beautiful region, including the Fehr Lake Trail which begins just outside the campground. Bald Mountain Trail can be accessed nearby.

Nearby Mirror Lake Campground offers weekend amphitheater programs and more great canoeing and fishing opportunities.

Facilities

The campground contains several single-family sites, all with picnic tables and campfire rings with grills. Some sites have nice lake views. Vault toilets and trash collection are provided. Firewood is available for purchase from the host. Roads and parking spurs are dirt.

33 single sites - $23.00, capacity - 8 people

Natural Features

Moosehorn Lake is situated at the base of the 11,943-foot Bald Mountain, where a forest of white fir trees provide partial shade in this pretty campground. Colorful summer wildflowers dot the landscape. Summer temperatures range from 65-75 degrees during the day to 40-50 degrees at night.

Nearby Attractions

Mirror Lake Scenic Byway parallels the Lower Provo River as it snakes across a portion of the Uinta Mountains, leading to numerous high alpine lakes and streams, countless trails, breathtaking scenic viewpoints and various campgrounds.

Fishing, canoeing, hiking, backpacking, horseback riding and biking are popular activities. The High Uintas Wilderness can be accessed from several trails along the byway.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$23.00
National Forest
No Sewer Hookups
Moosehorn is located in Utah
Directions
From Salt Lake City, Utah, take I-80 east for approximately 30 miles to Exit 146 for Highway 40 toward Park City/Heber City/Vernal. Take Exit 4 onto Highway 248 toward Kamas. Take left onto UT 32 then right onto Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Scenic Byway). Go 31 miles to campground. or From Salt Lake City, Utah, take I-80 east for approximately 30 miles to Exit 146 for Highway 40. Go south on Highway 40 for approximately 13 miles and take left onto UT Highway 32. Stay on UT-32 for 16 miles (there will be a 4-way stop in Francis.) Take right onto Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Scenic Byway) in Kamas. Go 31 miles to campground. or From Provo, Utah, take Highway 189 thru Provo Canyon to Heber City. At the junction with Highway 40 in Heber, turn left and stay on Highway 189 thru town. At the north end of Heber, turn right onto UT Highway 32. Stay on UT-32 for 16 miles (there will be a 4-way stop in Francis.) Take right onto Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Scenic Byway) in Kamas. Go 31 miles to campground.
4 Reviews of Moosehorn
My 2nd favorite drive up campground in the Uintas!

This is one of my favorite places to visit in the Uintas! It has everything; from hiking, climbing, fishing, and just general mountain goodness within a few miles! The campground is situated to the East of Moosehorn Lake and at the base of the looming Bald Mountain. There is great trout fishing at the lake where we had good luck with chartreuse powerbait and black rooster tail spinners. We also had a lot of bites with #1 Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Nearby is the trailhead for Bald Mountain Summit anda good approach for the great multipitch climbing area known as the Cobrazone! Like the other campgrounds in the area, water is currently unavailable so bring your own! To stay here you'll need to pay the $23 a night campground fee as well as the Mirror Lake Hwy Rec. Pass for $6 for 3 days and $12 for the week

neat campground. lake spots are the best.

this campground has a lot to offer. I don’t think there is any bad spots, but the spots on the road side didn’t seam very flat, but most had at least a spot for a tent. no water, bathrooms and trash. there is a great hiking trail across the street and along camp site to pull off the side of the road and camp of you don’t want to camp in actually campground. spot 19 (I think) was my favorite but would only be good for tent, no trailer.

Quietest Night

This campground is amazing! Even though you’re not far from the road, it’s so quiet at night and you can sleep peacefully! There is a quaint little lake that you can take kayaks out on and it’s a great area for hiking and relaxing. And for the summertime, it wasn’t too hot! 10/10, would camp again

Ranger Review: Saris Freedom Superclamp 2 at Moosehorn Campground

Campground Review:

First of all, this campground has to be in the top three coolest campgrounds we've ever been to. It's right on the edge of Moosehorn Lake, and our site had a trail right down to the lake. It's well-forested, so you don't feel like you're right on top of your neighborhoods. The pit toilets are well placed throughout the campground and well cared for (and they didn't stink at all when we were there, which is a huge plus). Even though it's right off of the Mirror Lake Highway, it feels very secluded and is very quiet. The stars are also pretty amazing here!

A few things to note- there is not potable water available throughout most of the High Uintas, so come prepared with your own water. There is a water filling station at somewhat-nearby Lost Creek campground, and the water there is clean and cold (a bonus during the Utah summer heat). The mosquitoes here are also absolutely atrocious, especially in the sites by the lake. Bring lots of bug spray, citronella candles, and anti-itch cream, because you WILL get bitten. This campground is also at a fairly high elevation (nearly 11,000 feet) so if you are prone to elevation sickness, be aware of that.

Come prepared also for FUN! The High Uintas are an absolute playground for all sorts of activities. We (okay, I, my husband hiked with the pup) did a lot of mountain and road biking (the Mirror Lake Highway is in great condition since it is closed all winter and doesn't get destroyed by plows), and are planning to return ASAP with kayaks/SUPs to play on Moosehorn Lake or any of the nearly countless lakes in the Uintas. We foolishly forgot our fishing poles, so we didn't have an opportunity to experience the reportedly excellent fishing. Sometimes we get so caught up in our love for the national parks that we forget that some of our best opportunities are close to home (roughly 90-120 minutes from our home south of Salt Lake City)! We had a great time and are already planning our trip back.

Product Review:

As Rangers for the Dyrt, we get products to test from time to time on our camping trips. This was one trip that I was super excited for, since we got to try out the Saris Freedom Superclamp 2. From my long history in outdoor retail I have a lot of experience with bike racks of varying brands, so it was fun to put a rack through its paces. From the get-go I was really surprised at how light it was! Even my UPS driver commented on it when he dropped it off. Setup was a super breeze (though I'll note that we couldn't find our standard size hex key which was problematic for taking the 2" shim off when we wanted to use it on our 1 1/4" hitch- not a big deal in the long run) and the fact that it came with a lock for the hitch pin was a nice bonus that we'll likely use even beyond the bike rack.

Since I planned to do some road biking and mountain biking, I got to see how the Freedom Superclamp handles bikes of differing sizes. I have a 19" Kona 29er, and a 58cm Fuji road bike, and their wheel bases are definitely a bit different. It took a little bit of adjusting to get everything just right, but the wheel trays slide very easily along the main bar of the rack, and tighten down with a super user-friendly tightener. The only slightly tricky bit was getting the arms of the rack over the 29 inch mountain bike wheels, and I've definitely wondered if it would be a struggle to get them over large fat tire bikes (which are very popular here in Utah in the winter). Overall though, it was insanely easy to use and I've been really happy with it.

Pros:

• I really like that this rack has arms for both front and back wheels, even if it makes it a little trickier with two bikes of differing sizes. Most other brands will only have an arm for the front wheel and a ratcheting strap for the back wheel. I'm not saying that doesn't work, but I personally prefer having both wheels secured by arms. If you have bikes that have very different wheelbases, this could cause issues, but for the two of us, who will only be carrying adult bikes that don't vary much in wheelbase size, it's not an issue.
  • the buttons on this rack are BRIGHT YELLOW. Coming back from an evening ride it was nice to be able to see them even though the light was dying pretty fast. Maybe a superfluous pro, but one I appreciated nonetheless
  • Saris provides a decal for you to put on your rack so you know exactly how far into your hitch receiver you need to put it to be able to put the pin in. I love when things are uncomplicated without me having to MacGyver some sort of solution (like scratching the paint off or using unsightly duct tape). A+ on that one, Saris!
  • The arms themselves and the wheel holders on the arms having ratcheting systems is really nice. It's satisfying to hear that "click" and know the rack is locked in place exactly where you want it.
  • Having arms that only come in contact with the wheels as opposed to the frame is a huge bonus, especially for those with nice carbon frame bikes.
  • This rack is compatible with both 1 1/4" and 2" hitch receivers, which is a huge bonus as our vehicles have different hitch sizes, so we can use them on either car.
  • The hitch pin lock and the bike cable locks are super easy to use, and have the same key- easy peasy!

Cons:

• I really, really wish this rack folded up. Yes, it admittedly is pretty small, but we have super limited parking space at our house (a single-wide driveway with two SUVs AND a 15' travel trailer… it's a squeeze) so I would have really loved for this rack to be able to fold up and give me an extra foot or so of room before I have to be concerned about hanging out into the sidewalk. This one is just me being nitpicky, really.
  • I also feel like this rack puts the bikes a little high, and it makes it hard to access the back of the car. If the bikes were even 4-6 inches lower (straight out from the hitch as opposed to raised) we'd be able to get the glass portion of our liftgate open, which would be really nice. The bikes also take up essentially the entirety of the rearview mirror as high as they are, which isn't a huge deal but I'd prefer them to be a little lower.
  • Getting the arms to match up with bikes of different wheelbases was a little tricky, and would be a lot more difficult if you were trying to, say, do a small women's bike and a large men's bike (or a large women's bike, I suppose) at the same time. I like having both wheels have arms, but I could definitely see how it could make this rack tricky to work with for some people.

Overall, I was really happy with the rack, AND the campground, and I will whole-heartedly recommend them both!