Water Unknown
About Walker Lake
Bureau of Land Management
Walker Lake is located in Nevada
3 Reviews of Walker Lake
Gorgeous view, Not so gorgeous smell.

I've stayed at Walker Lake's 20 Mile Beach campground a few times and I'd say the site has a few pros and cons.

It has some remarkable sunrises and sunsets and it's easy to access places to camp (Though be aware there are some sandy sites that might be inaccessible without a 4x4 vehicle).

The downsides are that the smell of the lake itself isn't exactly pleasant, you're never very far from the highway so there's regular road noise, and depending on the season the mosquitos can be rough.

Either way it's worth stopping in to check out the views!

Breath taking sunrise and very private

We stayed at the 20 mile beach camp site. As you make your way down the dirt road, the road will fork at the public trash bins. We headed right, and followed a dirt road down towards the lake. You will see a large round clearing, and that is where we set up our large Kodiak cabin style tent. The dirt road down to the site was a little bumpy. Maybe not suitable for low profile vehicles. We drove in in a Chevy pick up.

Bring mosquito repellent because there are tons of bugs. The lake is pretty dirty. There’s a lot of missy looking substance on it. My kids tried fishing, even though the fishing report stated fishing was not good. I have 9 and 11 year olds… They don’t like to reason when it comes to fishing, or “wetting a line” as they say.

The camp ground is mostly gravel and coarse sand. I had to use a heavy hammer to stake our tent. We didn’t see or hear any snakes. The nights were very pleasant. There is wildlife all around, but nothing kept us up at night. I was kind of hoping for some owl hooting, or coyotes, but I didn’t hear any. This site is also far enough from the road, where you really don’t hear the traffic. Make sure to step out, or open a window to enjoy the sunrise.

Walker Lake

beautiful views! but the view is all there is… after reading that it is a "dead lake"…plus the scent of the water….noo thanks on getting in there.