Yurts
Equestrian
About Huntsville State Park

It took 20 years of development, including weathering a flood and a World War, but in 1956 the community of Huntsville, Texas, finally got their own state park. Located just 10 miles south of town, in the Sam Houston National Forest, this 2,000-acre park of pine and hardwood forest is situated around man-made Lake Raven. Today, locals and visitors alike flock to Huntsville State Park for its hiking trails, water recreation and prolific wildlife. With so many outdoor activities to choose from, a good first stop is the park’s Nature Center. Here you can get information about the local flora and fauna, including the more than 250 species of birds, plus a variety of mammals and alligators, that make the park their home.

Campers at Huntsville State Park have access to 160 tent and RV campsites in three camp areas near the shore of Lake Raven: Prairie Branch, Raven Hill and Coloneh. Full- and partial-hookup RV sites are available, and can accommodate vehicles/trailers up to 60 feet. All sites are equipped with picnic tables, grills, and lantern posts, and drinking water faucets are shared between sites; some sites are ADA accessible. Each camp area provides flush restrooms, showers, playgrounds, picnic areas near the lake, fishing piers, and boat launches. There is a dump station located in the Raven Hill camp area. The park also has two camping cabins for rent. Campsite rates range from $15–$25/night, plus park entrance fee; cabins are $60/night, plus entrance fee.

When you’re ready to play on the water, head down to the lakeshore where you can take a dip in the designated swim area, rent a canoe or kayak (or put in your own) for paddling around the lake, or cast a line for crappie, perch and largemouth bass. A shop near the Prairie Branch day-use area has groceries, ice, fishing supplies and beverages. If you’re up for some roaming or wildlife watching, pick up a trail map and birding guide and go explore more than 20 miles of multiuse paths and nature walks. From the park’s bird blind, you can scan for a variety of songbirds and waterfowl. The park also offers ranger-led nature programs, and there are Junior Ranger activities for the kids.

Hike In
No WiFi
Huntsville State Park is located in Texas
41 Reviews of Huntsville State Park
Good relaxing park

I really love this park. Great space between camp sites, nice hiking trails and lake. We came here in the spring during the week and the only disappointment I had was that the only time you can get on the paddle boats as during the weekend and summertime. I was looking forward to the paddle boats. :-(

Beautiful Area

I camped here in April with my pupper. We hiked the trail around the lake. Some trails were closed due to recent storm damaged, but I am sure they fixed it in a timely manner. Lots of wildlife. I saw five gators in my 3 day stay. Lots of birds and turtles.

Nice East Texas Park

Huntsville Park is a nice little park that is a getaway from the city. We have hiked all the trails and camped here a couple times. The facilities are nice and the staff is helpful!

Great Park

This is an awesome State park with extensive hiking and biking trails (some are still closed from Harvey though…). There is great camping spots, trails, fishing, and swimming!

Pretty but bad fishing

Okay okay so I live in Huntsville Texas which means I have been to Huntsville State Park more times than I can count. There's a fee to get in but it's not too bad. We like to go fishing with our day pass however you will not ever catch anything. I don't know why but the fishing sucks. Also there's crocodiles. However the campsite overall is really pretty we haven't stayed overnight here so I don't know about that.

Family Time outside

excellent facilities, great mountain bike trails, fairly clean bathrooms, good fishing, nice swimming hole.

We loved our campsite and this beautiful park. We got to use our kayaks, go fishing, swimming, and hike also. It was just gorgeous! We actually had our campsite in a perfect place for we could put our kayaks in and out of the water right behind our tent.

Beautiful view, clean grounds, tons of space.

4 of us stayed one night, the park hosts were all lovely and made sure we had everything we needed. This is a great park for families with young kids. There are alligators in the lake but we never saw any. Raccoons and other wild life are around as well but they have high hooks for your garbage bags to prevent them getting into it. Clean bathrooms and showers, very close to camp sites. Some sites have electric and water options which come in handy, just bring a long extension cord. Went during early March, weather was lovely.

Real good

I stayed here for my second week after camping in Sam Houston forest for almost a week. The place was slightly better than camping in sam houston. We managed to get a site right next to the water. The site was a little bigger than camping in sam Houston. There was a lot of people swimming in the water but not close to our campsite. They were swimming further down. The locals said there were a lot of catfish but we were not able to catch any after trying for some time. The fee to enter the park was 5 dollars as we were leaving because we did not enter through the main entrance to the park.

Camping

We live cclose to this state park. So it is easy for us to get away to camp here. We have been 2 times this yr. Always make your revation,because the camp do fill up fast. We hiked, swam, and fished. We had lots fun fun meeting new people. Just remember not scouts use this camp a lot to go camping.