the dyrt
About Elkmont Campground
Drive In, Walk In
National Park Service
Elkmont Campground is located in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee
13 Reviews of Elkmont Campground
great location, great scenery

I love elkmont! It’s located only a short drive from Gatlinburg and several major hiking trails including Chimney Top. It’s also beautiful, surrounded by trees, you can hear waterfalls, plenty of space from other campers, etc. Definitely makes you feel like you’re more remote than some other campsites I’ve been to.

Beautiful campground at Great Smoky Mountain National Park

We loved our campsite and this campground. Our site was good size and bathroom facilities were nice and clean with running water and flush toilets. I wish the national parks would have shower facilities at more of their campgrounds. This was the only downside. The campground was quiet and the Little River was behind our campsite. We had a nice fire ring and picnic table with a designated tent pad. There was a campground store and ranger station very close by.

There were great hiking trails nearby and we enjoyed biking the Cade's Cove Loop.

My favorite campground at Smoky Mountain National Park

Positioned closest to Gatlinburg, Elkmont Campground is one of the easiest campgrounds to navigate in when it comes to wider roads and more widespread campsites. I had seen someone else review this site and loved what they said so much I had to myself go and make it one of my overnights, and oh was I happy I did!

The Smoky Mountains are to big to really navigate all from one camp area. Roads are narrow and windy and on busy days you hardly can accomplish even a couple things of interest on your list. You find yourself having to backtrack each night if you commit to a stay in a single location. So for my midway point this campground made it a great stop to be central to the big visitor center and numerous hiking stops.

My site had a nice tent pad next to my picnic table and grill area. It was not the biggest of the sites at the location but plenty large enough for me, and not far from the restroom, which is a personal preference ( I don't like to wander around in the dark for long distances because of animals).

This site didn't have any of the bells and whistles, so without those it takes a lot to make something my favorite. What pushed me over the top with it? The cleanliness and the staff. Despite being one of the busiest campgrounds it was also very well maintained. Everything was in great condition from my table to the site itself, no stray weeds or anything.

Cell service wasn't great for me here, but then again in all the Smoky Mountains I cruised around with pretty much 1 bar or less. That would normally raise a little concern because I like to for safety drop a pin so people know where I am, but with the presence of park rangers I felt safe. They patrol all evening.

TIPS:

• Sites are booked in advance through recreation.gov so make sure you book, during nice weather this place is very busy, even during the week.

• Remember to lock your food in your car, this is bear country and they do not encourage you to entice the bears into camp!!

Beautifully Green

Good size spots for renting. The bathrooms are stocked with toilet paper only. The picnic spots are stocked better. The campground is beautiful and close to Gatlinburg while being peaceful and serene. The creek bubbling next to our site was enjoyable and while driving the park we saw a few bears!

Large campground near the ghost time

Nice campground on the other side of the park from Cosby near the ghost town. Well maintained facilities

This is a nice campground. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We liked that there was a creek running along the side. Bathrooms were clean and in good repair. Being in the smokeys there is so much to see around this campground. They sell firewood and many of those last minute items often forgotten at home.

Serene

This is my number one place to go camping in the smokies. Every campsite is shaded by a canopy of trees that covers the entire campground. I love getting a place by the water, those are hard to come by. But even if you are not by the water you can still hear the water.

Magical firefly forest

We go to Elkmont during firefly season. One of the only places you can see the synchronizing fireflies- they all go dark together for a spell then one of the lights up and they all go off. Sometimes it is so bright you can make out the individual logs and shrubs in the glen. The campground is perfectly nice, most sites are pretty close together. River swimming right there too :)

Must Love Outdoors

I loved coming here! We came in the middle of fall with all of the leaves in full bloom! The winding mountain roads, rivers and picture perfect views made this trip my all time favorite. The campground was nestled in the middle of the forest right off of a crystal clear river. This was a a great spot for pictures and for fishing small mouth bass right off your site. There were plenty of deer, turkey and even a black bear off there n the distance. Beware of leaving any food, even dog food out for the night, bears are not shy! This campground also offered primitive and electric sites for tent campers as well as rv sites. You do want to make reservations ahead of time, you can do this through reserve America or the website itself. We enjoyed our hikes during the day and relaxing by the fire at night. if you want to go to town Gatlinburg and pigeon forge are very close. You also can take a beautiful scenic drive through the Cherokee National Forest where there are Elk grazing in the open fields.

Birthday camping

we had a great trip and a great birthday