Standard (Tent/RV)
RVs and Trailers
No Sanitary Dump
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
“The Wall” Dispersed camping just outside Badlands is located in Badlands National Park in South Dakota
20 Reviews of “The Wall” Dispersed camping just outside Badlands
the most incredible campsite I have ever stayed at (and it’s free)

Stayed 2 nights – not back-to-back, yet at the same“site”– each night as bookends to a roadtrip into the Black Hills. This bluff-top road overlooking Bloom Basin in the Buffalo Gap Grasslands is pure magic. I counted 40 spots, by counting just the campers – from tents to full on Class A busses (yet there was still more room). The road is rutted in places, but passable for seemingly most vehicles. Zero services (bring the poop tent), but cell reception is excellent!  :)  The grocery store in Wall is also excellent for a stock up on foods.

Sites are both “on the edge” and “on the other side of the road,” and include both small pull-offs for tenters, but also really big pull-off areas where several big RVs could group camp together. We chose a bluff-side site that had its own access trail down a spine. Wildlife like bighorn sheep ran across the mid-bluffs (video!), cows graze on the lower plains, and coyote packs call to each other at dusk. Moonrise and the most amazing Milky Way views overnight were icing on the (very hot and windy daytime) cake. We will return again.

The One Where They Almost Blow Off

As I am typing this my husband and I are in our tent with all the windows just soaking in the view. The wind was alittle bit or a struggle but we have everything tied down and all our windows are open. The view is gorgeous. You can do a little walk to the edge of some cliffs and literally just embrace nature. No fire though because of how windy it is.

A great view, for free too

There was a lot of space here for many tents, camper vans and RVs.

We came in Early August, so it was a bit more crowded per the famous Sturgis motorcycle festival. Festival? Not sure what you call them, but it’s a big deal.

It is close to the tourist town of Wall, but also a nice stop to break up a drove. What we did.

Wall is an interesting town, mostly a tourist trap.

Free camping with a view

Just miles south of Wall. We're set up on the ridge, overlooking the Badlands to the south and similar structures starting 20 feet from our tent. There's ample space here for tents, RVs and car camping. Watch for "no motor vehicle" areas and find a spot. Also very exposed, so we set the tent next the the SUV. Wing days might be the only deal-breaker here.

So gorgeous!!

One of the best BLM, dispersed campgrounds I’ve ever been to. Great for RVs, trailers, or tents. My Civic made it up the rough roads with no issue, we just had to drive around some potholes! Will be back!

Fantastic views

Rolled in here after a 12 hour drive at about 11:00 pm. There were still quite a few spots to set up. There were mostly campers and we were one of two groups tent camping but that wasn’t an issue. Make sure to use stakes for your tent though because the wind is wild. The stars were gorgeous and the sunrise was unrivaled

Amazing camping

Absolutely loved this spot. So beautiful! No amenities but if you bring plenty of water, you’ll be great. We even took a little “bird bath” to cool down in the 98* heat. There are two green gates - one before the radio/tv towers and one right in front of them. Either will lead you along the ridge. Pick your spot anywhere along the road for incredible views. A little forewarning: you will want shade and good tent stakes to accommodate for the heat and wind.

Camping on the edge!

This is by far one of my favorite places to camp in the country! It is a windy ridge overlooking the badlands and just outside the north park gate. Look for the radio towers and drive up the dirt road to a cliff where you can set up and enjoy a spectacular spot! There is a lot of room for everyone to spread out. But be sure to stake down your tent and secure it well because I have camped there twice and both times I felt like I was going to blow away! But it is well worth it and a magical spot!

Brilliant Spot

Huge ridge line with fantastic views. Lots of people but enough space for everyone to be spread out. Try and plan for wind, because it can be brutal but the experience is worth it IMO.

BLM Buffalo Gap National Grassland j

Drive 240 S from Wall SD towards the NP for 6 miles. Look for a small dirt road on the left, it’s easy to miss. There are 3 radio towers near a Dispersed Camping area. You’ll notice the towers before the turn. Good cell service. Spectacular location. Most stay 1 night or 2. Best sites vacant by 10am and full by 4 pm.