Standard (Tent/RV)
About Keowee-Toxaway State Park

Lake Keowee Campgrounds has ten paved sites have individual water and electrical hookups and can accommodate RVs up to 40 feet total vehicle length. Larger units will have difficulty navigating the campground road. If you have any concerns or questions regarding your unit, please contact the park directly.

The Lake Keowee camping options include 24 campsites, 10 have individual water and electric hookups, as well as a designated tent area with 14 sites, centrally located water spouts, individual tent pads, and fire rings. Backcountry trailside camping is allowed at 4 designated sites along Raven Rock Hiking Trail. Backcountry site # 3 is the park’s only campsite on the water.

The campground is convenient to restroom facilities with hot showers.

With some of the most stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains South Carolina has to offer, Keowee-Toxaway State Park is truly one of South Carolina’s pretty places. The Jocassee Gorges Visitor Center exhibits and information serve as a gateway to the Jocassee Gorges.

Two hiking trails in the park take visitors over a natural bridge and through the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, land once traveled by Cherokee Indians. A short, half-mile trail leads to Lake Keowee where guests can enjoy fishing for bass, bream, crappie and catfish.

Hike In
RVs and Trailers
30 amp Hookups
No 50 amp Hookups
Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 40 ft.
Keowee-Toxaway State Park is located in South Carolina
Directions
From I-85: Take exit 40 onto Hwy 153 toward Easley. Go N on Hwy 153 for 5 mi. Merge onto Calhoun Memorial Hwy/Hwy 123 and drive for 2.5 mi. Hwy 123 becomes Hwy 93/Main St. continue to drive 3 mi. Go onto Hwy 8 and continue for 6 mi. Turn left onto Hwy 183 and then turn right onto Hwy 178 and drive 8.5 mi. Turn left onto Hwy 11 and drive 8.5 mi. Look for park signs. From I-85 near the GA border: Take exit 1 onto Hwy 11 and drive 38.5 mi and look for park signs.
12 Reviews of Keowee-Toxaway State Park
Good State Park Campground for Water Activities

My favorite part of staying at this park was not actually camping, although I always love camping. My favorite part was hiking the trails, especially the Natural Bridge/Palmetto Trail. It is a loop trail, but you can opt to get on a longer trail along the loop. The hike seems easy at first, especially going down to the“natural bridge.” However, when you hike down, you have to hike up, and there were sections on the return that were steep. Along the way, not only do you see the natural bridge, but there is a small waterfall as well. As far as camping, there are RV sites and tent sites. I chose tent camping this time, and there was a large gravel pad. The sites seemed a little too close for me, but at least they were not on top of each other. The day that I went, the other tent sites were all reserved as far as I could tell. I found that surprising for a Tuesday night. Unfortunately, with so many people camping that close together, you never really get to sleep early since some people are up late talking. Nevertheless, once the talking died down, I went to sleep listening to the tree frogs. The bath house is a short walk away and is AIR CONDITIONED!!! Since I went in July, this was important. I was hoping to get in some canoeing, but there were strong thunderstorms and rain. As a matter of fact, I waited for a break so I could put up my tent. There is a camp store, and I enjoyed looking at the relief map in the visitor’s center. It also has displays in the visitor’s center with local history. There is also a boat ramp a short drive away from the campground. Even though I didn’t get to take full advantage of it, it is a lot better than many of the boat ramps I have seen. The biggest attraction for this park, other than the hiking trails, is obviously its access to Lake Keowee. Overall, it is a pretty good place to camp. I’m not fond of how close the sites were, but it’s a lot better than many campgrounds I have been to.

Decent Small RV Loop

This is a decent campground with a small RV loop and a handful of sites with water and electric…..well if the electric actually worked. Twice in one week this campground experienced a complete and total power outage each of which lasted for hours. The facilities were clean and rangers were nice, however the electrical infrastructure needs some work at the very least.

July 2-5 Tent #2

When we got to our site late at night, we discovered there was someone parked in our spot. There is supposed to be one car per spot. The signs designating the spots are off the road and very hard to see. Site 4 was right next to us, and site 3 behind us. We have never seen so many tent campers using generators and projecting movies onto big screens and sheets ever lol. If you arrive after dark, the sites are very hard to find. To not be totally negative, the bathroom was nice, and clean, and a little walk from our site. We love the upstate, so we went to see the nearby twin falls. Well worth the trip, an easy drive and hike in to this spectacular waterfall.

Primitive camping

We kayaked in our inflatables a short way across the lake to our primitive camping site which included nearby firewood that we could collect and use in a provided firepit area and used the large tree trunks as seating. The site overlooked the water and had a good amount of privacy/space from the other campers. You could also access these sites by hiking if you chose. We only paid $12 for a one night stay at the campsite.

Peaceful yet challenging

Our little family of five did a 4-mile hike into a primitive camping spot, across the water from a golf course and spent the weekend! The beautiful area ad beautiful views but the terrain was a little extreme.

Amazing place

Very mature campground (we stayed in the camper area). Lots of shade and campsites are decently spaced apart. The only negative I would say is that in our area there wasn’t a lot of flat roads for our smaller kids to bike, etc. Bathrooms are super nice and clean.

Small but clean

Keowee-Toxaway has a regular RV/tent campground as well as a cabin you can rent and 4 hike-in campsites. We stayed in the hike-in sites. Site #3 is closest to the water. It’s about a 2-mile hike to the campsites, or you can boat in. It’s about a 5 minute paddle from the non-motorized landing. It’s a very pretty area but be careful as there are many boats and jet skis in the area as well. You can also walk a little ways down and there’s a rock that many people jump off of. There are many houses and boats so it can get a little loud but overall it’s a nice area.

The bathrooms and showers in the main campground are clean, and they put in a new dumpster. The park rangers come through the campground to check on things, and they lock the main gates at night (which they give you the code when you check in so you can leave if you want to). Overall it’s a small but clean park, and we love coming here!

Beautiful, good for beginner backpacking trips

This was my first backpacking trip without a guide. The trail was relatively short, but the hills were bigger than expected. However, the payoff at the trailside campground is incredible. The sites are out on a point on Lake Keowee. It doesn't feel truly wild (you can see houses and a golf course across the lake), but the sunsets and sunrises are beautiful. You can hear boats while you are there. We went in the fall, but in the warmer months the swimming opportunities would be great!

Great Weekend Trips

There are 3 trailside primitive campsites that are on a peninsula overlooking Lake Keowee. Although only one of them is considered on the shore, they are all within walking distance (down a little hill) from the shore. But make sure to check the water level; I’ve had to help push boats back into the water a few times and there has also been instances when our canoe floated off when the water rose. Parts of the trail feature waterfalls and overlooks onto the lake which is a great photo opportunity. Apart from hiking in, there is a canoe/kayak ramp available about 1/2 mile to the campsites. There is also a rentable cabin, paved primitive/RV campsites, and a bath house available.

The hike to the lake is worth it if you go early and stay all day.

There is a short path from the camp sites down to the lake. If you want to go swimming there are only a couple of locations that you can hang out for the day and swim. If you want one of these make sure to get there early. There is not a true boat ramp here either, we saw several people that came with power boats trying to launch and the ramp here is more suitable for kayaks and canoes.