Yurts
About Santee State Park
Santee State Park is located in South Carolina
15 Reviews of Santee State Park
Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

Keep going back

This campground offers wildlife and great views. We were able to go hiking and kayaking at this park and saw deer while at our campsite in the evenings. We’ve stayed twice now and enjoyed it both times in different sites.

Great state park

Had a great time hiking and fishing

Great campground

They have 2 different campgrounds one which has been updated. We have stayed here several times and have enjoyed it every time. They have a few trails to hike. Both campgrounds are on Lake Marion. There is a little BBQ restaurant called Lone Star right outside the park that is pretty good. Bathhouses are in decent shape.

Just OK.

Bathrooms nasty. Rough roads. Nice lake.

Crowded and Worn

A beautiful location on the lake. All campsites can probably see the lake a little.

Downside is that it's super crowded. Apparently all the fishermen drag their families in along with their boats. While they're fishing, Mom and the kids are left in the campground.

Amenities are standard for SC parks, but they're worn-out. Could definitely use a refresh.

Great State Park

We enjoyed our long stay at Santee. Spotted a gator on sinkhole trail. Took the fisheagle boat tour. Photos and details on the link.

Nice park.

Nice park but gets super crowded. the sites we had you could definitely have more than 6 people to a site and many sites did just that. never far to a bathroom and easy access to the water. needs a good cleaning as the trails were very littered. We saw the ranger drive by about twice a day.

⛺️🐟

nice size campsites, nice walking trails, fishing, little beach area within walking distance. About an hour drive to downtown Charleston.

Varied activities, well-maintained,family-friendly,lake front

We have camped here twice for several days each time. There are 2 main areas, both are close to a large reservoir good for fishing, kayaking, SUPs, rudderless sailing. There are playgrounds, ball fields, picnic areas, short hikes, and cabins for rent. Birdwatching hikes are available nearby at the Swamp Fox Nature Preserve that also offers historical and natural history information.The washrooms/showers are older, but cleaned daily. A camp store and information center are onsite.

My favorite activity was a guided kayak tour into an adjacent swamp. Birds, small mammals and alligators watch as the boats glide by. But make sure to go with a guide, especially if children will be on board.

Weather is changeable. The park is busy 3 seasons a year so make reservations early. Midsummer is hot, humid, and buggy. Spring and fall are lovely times to visit.