The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Spiro , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Spiro Camping Reviews
Right off the highway and right off the Ouchita Trail

If you're near the end (heading west) or got a late start heading east, detour north towards Potato Hill Vista for a flat area with a stone fire ring near Highway 88/1. You can throw down your tent here for the night. The side trail even leads to a parking lot off the highway if you're driving and want a place to camp or want someone to pick you up a few miles closer than Talimena State park.

A great campsite with great hiking, and amazing views!!

We will BE back!! I’ve lived in OK for 30+ years and didn’t know of Cedar Lake in the Quachita mountains near Heavener, OK. It’s incredible!! Clean site, right in the national forest. At the time we went they had a camp host that met you, took you to your site, and checked in on us several times during our three night stay. She was really friendly, helpful, and our two boys thought she was the best when she gave them Smokey the Bear pins! While they do have bathroom and shower facilities our section of camps were down along with several others do to septic tank system issues that they were waiting on parts to arrive to fix. They provided portable toilets in the interim which worked fine. There is a really fun trail that runs right around the entire lake, and it’s a little over two miles. Nearly all natural terrain throughout the hike which makes it especially nice. Though we didn’t visit they have a section also for equestrian camping and riding as well as RV hookup sites. Can’t speak highly enough of this camping area!

Great Escape

I love this small park. It offers a lot of amenities, but overall it’s about the cave trails and lots of hiking opportunities. We went in the early fall so too cool to enjoy the small lakes but our campsite had great views of one of the lakes.

Very Nice Oasis

Heading West on I-40 and tried, without success, to get a site at one of the 3 campgrounds on nearby Robert Kerr Reservoir (see other reviews!). We got the last site at the KOA. As first time KOA campers, we were pleasantly surprised with the entire experience. Restrooms clean and nice showers. The staff was kind, cheerful and very helpful. The sites are a bit close for our tastes but for a quick overnight it suited our needs perfectly.

Beautiful place to get away

I love Robbers Cave. It’s one of my most favorite places to camp. There are over 40 miles of hiking trails and the views are incredible! I prefer to camp away from people and toilets don’t matter, I tent camp around Lake Wayne Wallace or Eagles Nest. Watch the trails bc you could end up on the horse trails and be very sad lol.

A hassle-free camping trip all around!

Usually when my friend and I go tent camping we have some hiccup in our plans—rain, damp firewood, lack of wood and ice to be purchased on site, trouble getting good maps, freezing to death at night, etc, but this trip really went without a hitch! They have a good website through which you can pick your campsite. We ended up with a pretty one by the creek that was more secluded than the others. It didn’t have a bathroom, but it was easy enough to drive over to the next site.

What is fun about Robber’s Cave is the variety of things to do. On our first day we went directly to the Cave area and enjoyed climbing on the rocks! Many views were pretty and the cave was not too puny either. The next day we explored more trails—one that was good and challenging—and then rented a kayak for the lake. It was only $5 for an hour! They’ve got mini golf, horse shoes, and a show cone stand to boot. The little camp headquarters also had plentiful ice and dry firewood to buy.

I guess if I have any criticism it would be that the bathroom was a bit dingy, but, heck, it had toilet paper! They also could have had better maps of some of the trails—we got just a little lost on one of the offshoot trails near the cave—but that’s what made it an adventure, really.

Love it here

A little bit of everything for everyone. We prefer the more primitive sites. lake Ray Wallace and Eagles Nest campgrounds within the park are awesome. The caves themselves are great to hike to from I believe 7 different trails. We've gone 3 times already this year. They have an equestrian RV area, plus others dotted throughout the park, a swimming pool (which boggles my mind considering there is great lake swimming), playgrounds, mostly family environment.

Always a Favorite

Great tent and RV sites. Not too close to neighbors. Bath/showers are close. Great hiking trails! Some water activities above the dam.

Very Peaceful

Spacious and peaceful sites.  The loop we stayed in had full hook ups at each site and 2 very well maintained bathrooms with showers.

The creek was right behind us and there is a pond for paddle boats or paddle boarding.  The pool (we didn't use) looked d to be very nice also.  Plenty of easy access to many different hikes, none of which are too difficult.

Beauty of NWA Ozark Mtns

This is a spectacular example of a State Park. Beautiful setting with miles of hiking and trails .. scenery is amazing. Camp Sites are spacious with full hookups in most areas, horse ranch camp sites are available as well. Close to UTV trails and miles of back roads that can fill your entire day.