The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Chesapeake , OHIO

Most Recent Chesapeake Camping Reviews
Dispersed Camping best off Horseback Trails

We arrived late at night wishing we had better cell reception and a paper map of the National Forest. The Ironton Campground has been closed during 2020 as part of a water main line break. We initially tried the Hanging Rock OHV trailhead, but locals used that area for partying when we were there and it wasn't ideal to camp at the trailhead with about a dozen cars speeding along the gravel roads around midnight. We found the Sand Hill Trail head and pitched camp not too far from where we parked. The NF website says fires are allowed if you make a stone ring. We just skipped it. It is a very pretty area along Vesuvius Lake with trees and bluffs. We saw a ranger in the morning and he suggested next time we just camp at the horsecamp. The pins on the Dyrt's map were inaccurately located when we were using it with multiple entries. Next time I will purchase a paper map before I go because Wayne National Forest has alot of private lands interspersed and it is not all that clear without a map.

Peaceful

Had a great time there. We will be back in the spring or summer when the grandkids can swim. Staff was very pleasant. Not much shade but then again it's a fairly new KOA and the trees haven't had time to grow.

Peaceful

Great first time!

Threw a surprise camping trip for my boyfriend and it turned out AMAZING! Love this campground and can’t wait to check more of it out again!

Forest camping

Such a need campground where many spots are on the side of a hill and the campfire ring is above or below it on the hill.

Great park

The park was beautiful and on a Tuesday/ Wednesday the tent sites were practically empty. Some sites are much more level than others, mine(114) wasn’t very level but was ok. The trails are beautiful definitely recommend the 4Cs trail if you have time they also had a cute little gift shop at the entrance. I definitely would bring your own firewood theirs that you can purchase wouldn’t light for anything..

It’s pretty nice

A lot of their sites have full hook up but not all of them. Read the details of the sites when booking. Some of the sites have really steep grades and aren’t big rig friendly.

Check in was a breeze had out car tags on our post.

They do have a full-time camp host on site.

I didn’t use the shower 🚿 house but they do have a couple on the grounds.

They have a putt putt course but bring your own putter and ball.

There is Verizon service but it’s spotty.

They do have WiFi but it’s very slow and not secure.

Place is very pet friendly. The people we have met here are great.

Sites are wide but really close together.

Lots of things to do

Beautiful place. There is a pool (open 11-6, cost $6), mini golf($3), paved courts($4/hr), and more. It’s pricier than what I am used to in Tn, but it has primitive or hookup sites with bath/shower houses.

Nice little spot

Nice little place. Nearby town is absolutely not dog friendly. No dogs allowed in many of the parks.

Great hosts but make sure in your reservation to specify grill or fireplace.

Family Campground

I stayed at Shawnee SP campground in August 2020 (Friday night). This campground is geared towards families with kids, especially with RVs. It has all of the amenities: electric at most sites, water, flush toilets, showeres, laundry. There’s a small lake at the campground with a swimming beach and canoe rentals. They also have a gift shop and miniature golf. North of the campground there is a lodge with cabins and larger fishing lake. The campsites are very close together and the campground was full when I was there. It was surprisingly quiet at night. I prefer a little more privacy and separation from other campers. Looking around the campground I’d say that Site 8 is the best site for car camping or RV camping. There are 2 tent camping sites (111 and 112) that provide separation from other campers but you have to park and carry your gear back to the sites