The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Rifton , NEW YORK

Most Recent Rifton Camping Reviews
Fantastic, spacious campground

This is an amazing campground! We had plenty of space and easy access to the lake. We went on a busy weekend and they are currently only operating at 50% capacity. I would recommend reserving a spot well in advance. This is a very large campground with multiple different areas. It has a good water pump and the bathrooms were well maintained and had a nice sink washing area.

Beautiful hikes nearby

Very peaceful and quiet with lots to do in the area.

Better than I expected

I had to make a last-minute reservation for a campsite on my drive back from Maine to DC on a Friday night in September, so was a bit worried about finding anywhere decent at all.  This campground was one of the few with any sites available, and I got the second last spot.  So I had pretty low expectations.

Actually this campground is pretty nice--the campsites are of a normal size, with enough rocks and trees between sites to provide a decent amount of privacy.  Again, my campsite was one of the worst, right on the road, but still not too bad.  It would have been pretty decent if every campsite around me hadn't been full, generally with families with a bunch of shrieking kids.  But that's a weekend in September…

There are also a limited number of campsites right on the water.  The lake is nice enough, although much of it is covered in lily pads.

Bathrooms are fine.

No wood for sale on-site, but there are several places nearby to get wood, and any other supplies you need.  The campsite is not exactly remote, I think it was about a 5 minute drive to a gas station with firewood and all manner of supplies.

I would definitely stay here during the week when it might be a bit quieter.

Great place to stay!

beautiful sites for all types of campers

Lovely campground

Great location and quick to get to from NYC. 45 minute drive and location has a lot of amenities. Full bathrooms and slop sinks throughout the campsite. The campsites are a bit close to one another but if you have a big group you can book several sites near each other and have a great time with family and friends. The wildlife do roam around your campsite so be mindful of putting food and garbage away before sleeping. Hike trails are all over the place and the lake is nearby. Definitely coming back again and making this place a regular visit for my family and friends.

Great experience

Loop 6 is quite, water front view

Great for kids wish we stayed longer

There weren’t any boat rentals due to COVID, which was a big disappointment. The staff is super friendly, bathrooms clean. Awesome dishwashing stations. Hot high pressure showers. No WiFi or any cell service, but that made for a better trip with the kids. They gave us junior naturalist workbooks for the kids, and they turned them into the ranger station for review and got super cool patches. They cannot wait to return!

Needs work

This was our 3rd time here as its local to us. The place could use some maintenance…there was garbage at our site and on the roads and we checked in at 5pm which would have given them time to clean up our firepit. The roads to the main sites also need some branch trimming. -The teenage "staff" tooled around on KOA golf carts on their phones and oblivious to everything. Others flew around in their own carts without a care. -They have 2 pools which require signing up ahead of time for 1 hour slots…there is nothing wrong with this however they could accommodate more if they actually opened the 2nd pool, instead its green and gross. -There were also multiple sites up and still loud partying at 2am. I don't have a problem with staying up late at a fire, but just don't be as noisey. -if staying here and concerned about branches I'd suggest one of the pull through sites. Specifically 138, 146 and 145 have a nice concrete patio and nicer firepit if you want to spend a little more. Also be cautious of the "R" and "S" sites…its just a large gravel parking area with little to no shade. Would be okay for a quick overnight but not a vacation week.

Prime Catskill Camping

I’ve been coming to Uncle Pete’s for the last 15 years. Very reasonably priced and a 2 minute drive from the center of town. Car camping so you can park right next to where you sleep, makes dining and sleeping comfortable very easy. Plenty of creekside tent sites that offer a large section of riverfront. Large baseball field and playgrounds for kids. Each site comes with an electric hookup, fire pit and picnic tables. Cheap firewood can be bought up front at the bathrooms. Becky and Danny are super accommodating!!

Variety of camping styles

I have camped Beaver Pond for the last 45 years and have found something new and better each every year I've gone to the campgrounds. I have gone from tent platform,  tent camping, tarp, and now hammock camping. The sites can be a bit tight, at times and you may find a few visitors, not necessarily on two legs, but always a delight. It's great to be among the trees away from the hustle and bustle of the city in what I consider a majestic chapel that will always welcome and embrace your presence. Something for all, swimming, camping, access to bear mountain pool, or the appalachian trails, and lean tos, (not on the camp sites).  Prices all can afford to come. Great for all types of levels of campers.