About Apgar - Glacier National Park
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Apgar - Glacier National Park is located in Montana
26 Reviews of Apgar - Glacier National Park
Apgar, perfect to hike and bike!

Apgar is easy to find and seems like there is always someplace for you to camp or park your RV. Be sure to bring your bicycles as there are many places to bike around in. They have boat and kayak rentals to take on the lake if you happen to not have any. There is a friendly staff with numerous places to eat and find souvenirs of your travels. Definitely recommended for your first stop in Glacier.

Apgar Campground

A small campground opened seasonally at the south end of Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park. The lImIted spaces are tucked in the trees bIt are a short walk to the beautiful lake.

Awesome location!

Apgar sites are great! The forest in which the tents can be built is lovely. Anti-bear storage has to be shared between sites. Very close to Apgar village and Lake McDonald, which is a pretty nice place to relax and enjoy the views renting bikes or canoes. Also, a WiFi spot at the visitor center is not too far from there. Quick access to West Glacier too, in case you need gas or some camping gear. Loved this place!

Apgar Sites

There are plenty of camping sites here. There’s Loop A, B, C, D, E. Busy during the summer so get there early as you can. That goes for hikes as well, if you don’t like crowds get up as early as you can. You see lots more animals that way too! Very family friendly area with Lake McDonald views and the Sun Road.

Huge Campground, Clean sites.

To be honest, this wasn't our first pick, but it ended up being great. Clean sites and bathrooms. It's a huge campground with tons of loops, which I usually shy away from due to crowds, but everyone seemed to respect quiet hours and there weren't too many whiny kids. Great biking trails throughout the area and you are in a great location to visit Lake McDonald and Apgar Village.

Great campground

Loved the campground itself. All of the sites were nice and some were extra nice if you were lucky enough to snach them. The early booking time is annoying (get there by 6:30 to for sure get a site), and some of the sites were too close to the road and traffic was a little noisy, but the ranger talks were interesting every night. There are dump stations and no showers, but you have lake mcdonald within a mile of you, so who really even needs showers? I stayed here alone and felt safe from bears (and people, but i just turst people too quickly). I do wish I had stayed in a campgroup closer to the mountains and the northern side of the park though, like st mary or rising sun. Although there is wifi at the apgar visitor center and sometimes i got service at my site (i have verizon). The drive up to logan pass and beyond does take a while. The shuttle service is fantastic though! and free! I gave it 4 stars because of its location within the park and the lack of showers.

Huge site with tons going on

This is a massive site in Glacier with a ton of sites an large group site area, Apgar village with rental stuff, restaurants and bus pickup/dropoff. The sites are decent sized, but pretty close to one each other. That said it is a great spot to start off your exploration of Glacier, easy access to the large visitor center. Decent bathrooms and water. No bear boxes like other sites, but it's so busy I assume it's never a problem. Lake Mcdonald is super colorful and you must explore the rest of this amazing park.

So many things to do, big campground!

Apgar Campground is one of my favorite places to camp. I love that I live within a good driving distance to the Glacier National Park. I've camped in many campgrounds and areas in Montana, and this one is probably one of my favorites. I love that it is so big and spacious, which is nice because it gives you a little room between campsites. It's one of the largest campgrounds in the National Park. If you are new to the area, or if it's your first time camping in the park, I would advise you to stop by the visitor center- Apgar Visitor Center. You'll be able to pick up some maps of the area, which is a must do I would say. They also have a cool gift shop, small restaurant and a place where you can rent water toys (boat rental, kayaks, etc). The campground itself is really nice, and surrounded by trees. Great for hammocking! There are really great sites for tents and also RV set ups. I always tent, just because it makes the experience that much better. They do have bathrooms, and I think they were very well kept and clean. There is a pretty great lake nearby, Lake McDonald. I bring my kayak and get in the water in the morning. During the summer months, you will find that this lake is pretty busy….not only do you encounter people using the lake who are also camping, but there are other people using the lake just for the day. There are also some really great hikes, which I always enjoy doing. I enjoyed hiking to Apgar Lookout and also Hidden Lake Trail. Hidden Lake Trail is VERY busy in the summer months- I would suggest getting a really early stay if you do this hike. Apgar Lookout has a great view from the top, and the trail is pretty well maintained. I did this hike early in the morning, and it was pretty foggy but the views were still great. I would recommend coming here. There is a lot to do, with great views.

Apgar Group Site

We had a group site for all the cousins my family. 8 of us made it this year and it was a good thing because our group site only had 3 tent pads. Crazy for a max of 24 campers! The water spigot by our site leaked the entire three night stay. Other than those things, this was a great site! The bathrooms were almost always clean and the car noise from the road wasn't too bad if you were on the far side of the site from the road. Some of my family was on the tent pad closest to the road, so they heard car noise, but they also heard unidentifiable animal noises, which is great! The entire park is amazing, so I would have endured almost anything to stay in the park and explore all weekend! My only advice, stay longer than 3 days! You'll need so much more time to see everything!!!

One word majestic!

Lake McDonald and the immenseness of everything in Glacier National Park really blew me away. Apgar is a great place to see it all. Hike trail of Cedars check out the lodges, drive going to the sun road or just hang out at your comfortable camp site. We spent a few nights camping and a few nights in each of the lodges which was a good mix of both worlds. Whatever you do enjoy the scenery and happy adventuring!