The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Altura , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Altura Camping Reviews

This was a nice campground with private sites. We were in site 70e and was very private and close the the showers. Lots of great hiking and forestville is very charming but tours were not running due to COVID. There was no AT&T cell coverage.

Awesome campgrounds

The campground is very clean and nice.

The bathrooms and showers we pristine clean and close and easy to walk to.

The beach was great and clean.

Fishing was great.

Would definitely come back

Best Memories of My Childhood

I’m probably a little biased. My parents started coming to this park to ride horses in the 70s. We spent at least 3wks every year here when I was a kid trail riding, hiking, even tubing down the Root River (there’s no commercial tubing available and you have to get up and walk through rocky shallow spots, so it isn’t ideal for this, but tell my 10yr old self that).

I stayed here recently in the “people campground.” I hiked 12mi in one day and had a great time. The campsite itself was great—privacy and no loud neighbors. I always make sure to stay in spots without electric if possible to escape the culture and noise that accompanies RV camping. Site #4 isn’t very level, but it backs up to the river and the access trail out of the campground. Forestville never disappoints me—I even randomly ran into my own uncle while hiking!

Good for biking

Our site was rather odd as the electric and water post was on the opposite side of our camper. Our standard water hose and electrical cord wouldn’t reach so we ended up backing up the hill to get next to the water and filled our tank for the weekend. Thankfully a neighbor had a 30’ extension that we borrowed. The fire pits were located in very odd spots too - basically unusable unless you wanted to light your rig on fire. We really enjoyed the bike trail that was so close, paved and had lots of tree cover to keep us cool. Very nice ride to Red Wing right from our site! Would probably stay here again but would definitely ask for a different site. Great for biking!

Our favorite campground

We have been going to Haycreek for over 15 years for horse camping. The trails are shaded, no bugs, friendly campers and staff. They have electric and water hookups for horse campers, and they have overflow for horse campers. The trails here are amazing.

Small quiet campground

This is a very small campground. The sites are not very private. Have some nice hiking trails and a small lake a short walk from the campground. We were in spot 15 and there was no shade in the morning to early afternoon. There was little to no cell phone coverage for AT&T

Dispersed camping

5/30/20-5/31/20

We went camping on a whim and headed to the state forest since dispersed camping is open. We backpacked to the quarry and found a large open area, perfect for multiple tents. The sandstone bluffs were in the background. There are multiple handmade rock fire pits, some rock chairs, tables and lots of space.

There are many hiking trails, including a trail that goes on top of the bluff with views of the forest and of Wisconsin and the Mississippi River. There is also hiking within this unit and a horse campground. The bugs weren’t too bad, no ticks, no critters and no road noise. It was very quiet and peaceful. I’d highly recommend this section of RJD forest.

Wonderful gem near Forestville state park

Some girlfriends and I wanted to stay at the camp for the weekend and have a place to social distance ourselves. We rented the horse camp sites and we couldn't have been happier. The sites have water and electric. There are high ties for the horses. The sites have a nice gravel pad with a picnic table and fire ring at each site. There is also a dump station that we were able to use before we left on Sunday. None of us had been at this campground before and love trying new places. We are endurance riders so we are used to early nights and up at dawn for riding. This camp was so nice and quiet! We had a nice fire after dinner listening to the water and birds. There were families with children, couples of all ages and well behaved dogs everywhere! The owner Andy as so gracious answering our many emails and questions. He went the extra mile at every turn. We can't thank him and his employee(who's name I sadly can't remember) we're just absolute delights! We will absolutely be back. And we will always check here first to see if their horse sites are open before checking the state camp. It's a very short road ride to the park trails and the campground and their amenities are first rate. I can't wait to return!!!

Really pleasant

Really nice campground with activities and a BAR/Restaurant. Pool is also there and is nice. We had a great weekend went to bed a little early on Saturday night because of rain and woke up to snow!!!

Beautiful & mosquitoless

Nice area! Large open sites and NO mosquitos!!!! Will be back with our group again.