Detroit, MAINE

Most Recent Detroit Camping Reviews
Worth the hike-in, very close to the AT

Beautiful hike-in sites located along the Pleasant River, and a great access point for hiking on the Appalachian Trail or in Gulf Hagas area!  We didn’t stay at these sites, but came across them while hiking just off the AT.

Each site has a picnic table and fire ring, with access to a clean latrine (with TP!).  No potable water is available, but the river is easily accessible for dishwashing and boiling/filtering. Firewood is available for purchase at the access gate at Katahdin Iron Works, but keep in mind you’ll have to carry it about ¾ of a mile, and across a river.

For safety, no bikes or ATV’s are allowed beyond the Katahdin Iron Works gate, as these roads belong to the logging companies in the area and there can be many fast-moving logging trucks. The town of Milo is where you’ll find the closest grocery stores and gas stations, but it’s a bit of a drive so come prepared.

Note about costs: Located in the Maine North Woods, getting here is quite a journey, but ooohh so worth it. It’s on the way to nowhere, you have to pay to get through the gate at Katahdin Iron Works, pay a daily access fee, and daily camping fee.  Note: If you are planning to backpack on the AT from this location, the pricing is very different, so be sure to ask!

First time we've seen moose FROM our campsite!

This was an unexpectedly beautiful site and great access point for hiking on the Appalachian Trail or Gulf Hagas area! We were seeking a place to stay 1 night just before embarking on a backpacking trip. The woman at the Katahdin Ironworks gatehouse selected the site for us and couldn’t have picked a better one.

Lots of privacy, beautiful view of the river, and we even were visited by a moose and her calf one evening! Each site has a covered picnic table and fire ring, with access to a private, clean latrine (with TP!) across the road. No potable water is available, but the stream is easily accessible for dishwashing and boiling/filtering. Firewood is available for purchase at the access gate at Katahdin Iron Works.

Note about costs: Located in the Maine North Woods, getting here is quite a journey, but ooohh so worth it. It’s on the way to nowhere, you have to pay to get through the gate at Katahdin Iron Works, pay a daily access fee, and daily camping fee. Note: If you are planning to backpack on the AT from this location, the pricing is very different, so be sure to ask!

Quiet, Spacious, Lots of Amenities

While we don’t usually stay in private campgrounds due to their high cost, the price was reasonable for the quality of this campground and amenities provided. We were in need of a shower and a place for the night and this campground was perfectly situated off the highway to Greenville.

Most of the sites are designed for larger RVs with full hook-ups, but they have just a handful of simple tent/small camper sites without services, which is exactly what we needed.   Just a picnic table and fire ring and some privacy and we were happy campers.

The shower house was newly remodeled and very clean, as was the laundry facility with dishwashing/utility sink. The campground has access to over 1000 miles of trails, which are designed for ATV’s. They even have an ATV washing station. While it was not open in late September, the campground offers a nice pool, game room for the kids of all ages, a small camp store, and even has a snack bar and ice cream counter.  And, if you are seeking some amazing hiking, it's relatively close to Borestone Mountain and sections of the Appalachian Trail.

The young husband and wife team who own/run the place are very sweet folks who seem to really pay attention to the needs of their customers.  For instance, they recently spent a good deal of money on high speed wifi because that is what their customers said they wanted.  We didn't need it, so can't comment on its quality, but it's there if you do.

Great sites and super convenient

My wife and I went up during Columbus Day weekend for some fall fishing and leaf peeping. We had a tent site that had tons of room. Camp store was great. Camp is just outside of Greenville so it’s super easy to go into town if you forgot anything. The only thing I wasn’t a fan of was I could hear the road noise from rt.6. In my opinion if I’m headed up to moosehead I would want to camp in the middle of the woods. But overall we had a great time.

Breathtakingly beautiful lake

This was the second of four huts on Maine Huts and Trails network of trails and it is situated very close to a gorgeous lake. The fall colors were at peak when we were there. I had never heard of Maine Huts and Trails (a small non-profit organization) and likely would not have if we had not traveled with an organized group for a three-day hut to hut experience. Although they are called huts, I would call them lodges. There is a large main area with showers, compostable toilets, a kitchen, and shared dining and living room space. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy. There are no electrical outlets or cell service, so you are off the grid.

The bunkhouses are shared and each one accommodates up to eight people.

When it is open and staffed, meals are provided, and the food is good. Dietary needs are taken into account.

Now for the bad news: One of the four huts (Poplar Stream) has already temporarily closed and all the huts are in jeopardy of not operating during the winter due to a severe financial shortfall. The catch 22 is that they likely do not have money for advertising so very few people know about them. I’m hopeful that by spreading the word on The Dyrt, more people will discover how beautiful they are, become members, donate to them, volunteer, and/or hopefully enjoy time spent in one of the huts.

Acadia

We stayed here 2 nights going to Acadia last summer. No issues, but can’t remember much about it.

Quick stay

Stayed here going to Acadia. Didn’t spend much time here. Did have a wheel bearing go out on the trailer, and some folks at the park were helpful in finding parts and offering tools.

Awesome Location on the Coast of ME

We only stayed one night here but we loved the proximity to the village of Camden and the hiking trails near our site.

Very nice, quiet, clean park

This place is excellent! The staff are friendly, the park is quiet, clean, well maintained and spacious. If you are planning on staying around Bangor, this is the place!

Small and Quiet

We stayed here 8/24-8/26/2019 Nice small campground with the lake and lake side camping available No WiFi or cable hook up and sewer hooks are limited but we liked it

Best small campground I've been to in 18 years.

Clean,quiet,very well taken care of,great staff,very helpful,huge sites,absolutely loved this place!

Excellent place with lots of special details

I will say that my preferred camp site is one that is heavily wooded, where I can hardly see my neighbors and where I have some view of something impressively beautiful. I have a small camper and two young kids so on long camp trips I appreciate a place with RV hook-ups. This place may not offer a heavily wooded area where I can't see my neighbors but it makes up for it for everything else it offers. It's right on the ocean, it has gardens and secret nooks where you can sit and make a fire. It has a beautiful art studio. It has a play room and play ground that kept my children entertained for hours so I could read. The other campers were so pleasant that I had no issues with being close to them. I had the lobster dinner they offered and it was excellent. I will come back again.

Beautiful location

This campground has a gorgeous view of the lake. A great place to fish for bass and yellow perch. The campground was very rustic and quiet. Bathroom electrical outlet did not work. The Owner was extremely pleasant and helpful. A lot of water activities available for families. A very nice place to go to relax.

Fantastic family camping!

We had so much fun at this campground. So many many things to do for kids. The swimming pool was awesome as well as the water slides. The fireworks on July 4th could match Disney World! Wonderful place to camp!

Great place

Really nice campground. Friendly group of people.

Great spot!!

Friendly helpful owner, Lauri and mom, Carol. Nicelayout and design with water access and nice view. Oh, and a great outdoor shower.

Best we have found!

This place is not your typical campground much more special.

We are full time RV’rs and have stayed at lots of campgrounds but this place holds a special place in our hearts. The people working are the perfect compliment to a beautiful location. We have stayed a number of times and it is like seeing old friends when we return.

Nice hiking trails around the property that out dog just loves. Often there are artists and musicians at events or giving some kind of lessons. If your looking for a place to stay that is not like a national chain, you have found it! Enjoy!

Beautiful campground by the ocean

The state park is backed up against Mt Megunticook with fabulous hiking and also frontage on The Penobscot Bay. You get the best of both. The park is very clean, sites are not very level so plan on adjusting things. Two large bath houses with hot showers and flush toilets. We liked it so much after our first visit that we have been campground hosts here for 4 years.

Wonderful remote camping area

Family run campground. Clean and well cared for. Great for kids.

Convenient and close to home

This campground is small family owned. The owners are outgoing and nice. The store offers handmade craft items with awesome prices and a small selection of take out foods. And ice cream. Again prices are reasonable. Activities are listed on the board and are fun. Variety of RV sites. Waterfront are our favorite. Play area for kids.

Clean and friendly.

We stayed over Memorial Weekend 2019. Most sites were full, but it didn’t feel crowded. The state employees running the campground were very nice. We were allowed to check in early, and they even offered to charge our phones for us since we were staying in a site without hook ups. The bathrooms/showers were clean and well kept, but we mostly used the bathroom in our rv. The sites were well spaced….we could see our neighbors but we didn’t feel like we were packed in too tight. Definitely drive up Mnt Batty, and check out the day use area. I recommend a trip down the road to McLaughlin's Seafood for some fantastic take-out.

Very nice

Nice cedar showers. Comfy enough even in a van camper with few amenities. Bathrooms very clean.

Great state park with cute town attached!

We are pop-up campers. We had plenty of room for our camper. Dog friendly. Bathrooms were very clean. “Playground” is a bit of a stretch. Firewood was a bit pricey at $7 a bundle. Nice hike and mountain views! Camden is a great town by the water with restaurants and shops. Kayaking and sailboats are also available.

Fun campground

Brought the family here for a nice Father’s Day weekend. Good place to bring the kids. The staff here were are friendly and very helpful for any questions or camping needs you had.Everyone had fun. Bathrooms were clean and plentiful. Lots of fun activities to keep everyone in the family entertained. The themed weekends are a neat concept and enjoyable.

First camping trip of the year .

This place is quite and clean and we would recommend this place.

Beautiful campground

Beautiful campground close to all the attractions

Fantastic campground

Beautiful small campground with wooded camping sites and a viewing area immediately on the ocean with islands and a lighthouse in the distance. Even though we’re in a trailer with a bathroom I made use of the cedar showers for a long hot shower- awesome! Crystal clean bathrooms. Owners and staff super friendly and helpful. The owner through maps with us to point out the “not to be missed” spots to visit. 5 minutes to Camden, Rockport and Rockland with great restaurants and charming shops. Already booked our next stay!

More Glamp less Camp

Good campground for older adults. Not much in the way camping as much as it’s a community. Good for family visits, they do events for families like cookouts and dances. Very well maintained and super nice staff.

Great place for families

Great place for families. Game room, pool, you can walk a holiday if you would like. Great entertainment on the weekends. Clean bathrooms and up to date. Friendly campers. Baked bean suppers sold on Saturday night.

Alittle extreme on how they choose seasonals.