Pets Unknown
About Axtel

Axtel Campground is located on the shore of Rough River Lake in south central Kentucky.

The 5,100-acre lake is a hometown paradise for visitors who love the outdoors, and more than two million visitors camp, picnic, fish, swim, boat and relax on the lake shore each year.

Recreation

A wide variety of recreational activities and facilities are provided at the lake, including ample opportunities for boating and fishing.

The most sought after fish are bass, crappie and catfish, and bass tournaments occur at the lake throughout the year.

Additionally, pontoon, johnboat and jet ski rentals are available at the nearby marinas.

Facilities

Axtel Campground is a large facility with 158 campsites, many of which have electric hookups. All campsites provide sweeping views of the lake.

A swimming area, boat ramp, dump station, flush toilets, playground, showers, drinking water, fish-cleaning station, and short trail are also provided.

Wi-fi is available from an outside source at an additional fee

Natural Features

The rolling, forested hills of rural south central Kentucky offer an extraordinary setting for those who visit the lake. Rough River Lake provides views of ancient sandstone, shale and limestone cliffs.

An abundance of water in the area, both surface and underground, has carved through limestone to create a myriad of sinks and caverns.

The lake itself is home to numerous species of wildlife, including migratory songbirds and waterfowl.

Nearby Attractions

The historic Green Farm is adjacent to the lake. It consists of about 3,000 acres, a large ancestral home, an old water-powered mill and store and a golf course. George Washington once owned part of the land.

Mammoth Cave National Park, which boasts the longest cave system in the world with more than 240 miles of mapped passageways, is about a one-hour drive away.

Other nearby attractions also include the historic Holt House in Hardinsburg, the Jack Thomas House in Leitchfield, and the new Aquatic Center in Leitchfield.

Charges & Cancellations

Once a reservation has been created, there will be a $10 fee to cancel your reservation, change sites, or change dates. Cancellations made the day before you are scheduled to arrive through the day after your arrival date will also be charged the first night's use fee. No-show's are charged a $20 fee plus the first night's use fee. If you reservation is for only 1 night, and you have been charged the first night's use fee, there is no $10 or $20 service fee charged.

ADA Access: N

US Army Corps of Engineers
Hike In
Axtel is located in Kentucky
Directions
Begin at ramp onto I-64 West toward New Albany/St. Louis, traveling 22.3 miles. Take the IN-135, Exit Number 105, toward Palmyra/Corydon, onto IN-135 South toward Corydon, traveling 16.7 miles. Continue on Bypass Road KY-79 for 2.1 miles. Turn right onto KY-79, traveling 10.1 miles. Continue on 1st Avenue, KY-79S for 495 feet. Turn a slight right onto US-60, traveling 11.8 miles. Turn left onto KY-259/KY-79, traveling 9.7 miles. Turn right to stay on KY-79, traveling .7 miles. End at 663 South Highway 79, McDaniels, KY. Distance is approximately 74 miles with an approximate travel time of 1 hour, 20 minutes.
7 Reviews of Axtel
Ranger Review Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket at Axtel Campground

Campground Review: I have stayed at and reviewed this campground before, however this time I am reviewing our experience at site I158 over Labor Day Weekend while using the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket. Site I158 has no electric or water. It is a fairly small tent site that is very close to other sites. There is only enough room for 1 tent and 1 vehicle. The fire ring is nice and has a grill attached. There is a large picnic table and a prep table with a tall hook, which we hung our trash on. The site is gravel but I was able to put in my tent stakes with minimal effort. The site is completely wooded, so if you don't like tent camping near trees, this site is not for you. The upside is there are plenty of sticks for kindling. I did however get hit with a few falling acorns, and that did not feel good at all. The quiet time at this campground is respected and followed. The beach is great for hanging out and swimming in the lake. The beach had previously been damaged by flooding but was beautiful for Labor Day Weekend.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt www.thedyrt.com, I get products to test from time to time and today I am reviewing the Men& Women's Thunderlight Jacket from Red Ledge https://www.redledge.com/products/mens-and-womens-thunderlight-jacket?variant=7068462153788. I made a video folding the jacket into the carrying bag after I returned home from camping.

1. What I liked about this product: The jacket fits great. Using the size guidelines on Red Ledge's website, I ordered the appropriate sized jacket and it fits perfectly. I like the sealed edges that kept any water from getting to my clothes underneath. This jacket is lightweight. It is a great jacket to use anywhere, but this would be great for back country camping. Because it's lightweight and breathable, I also used it for sun protection while sitting on Rough River Lake beach. The hood hangs over a little bit keeping the sun and rain out of your eyes. The cuffs and the bottom of the jacket are adjustable, which I love. Red Ledge offers this jacket in 13 different colors, but I chose Mercury(gray). The price of the jacket is a little higher than I expected, however, I believe this jacket will hold up over time and be completely worth it. As a tent camper, I have learned to spend a little more money on better quality products than to buy cheap stuff and have to keep replacing them.

2. What I didn't like about this product: I didn't quite understand how the hood adjust worked and it took me a little bit of figuring it out. However, once I understood what I was doing, it worked great.

Overall, I would recommend this jacket. My son has the youth version of The Thunderlight and he loves it. I think Red Ledge has made a good quality product that anyone can use and appreciate.

Enjoy a beach in the middle of KY!

I suggest you make a reservation as this campground fills up quickly. Axtel is located on the shore of Rough River Lake and has over 150 camp sites. Almost every site has quick access and/or views of the lake. There is a designated swimming and beach area. There are several restrooms located throughout the campsite. They were clean and stocked with toilet paper and hand soap. There is an easily accessed dumpster area and dump station near the main entrance. WiFi is available however, there is a fee. There is a boat ramp, so you can bring your boat and/or other watercraft. Fishing is allowed as well. There are a lot of sites with electric and water, but some without either. There are sites for tent camping and RV's. Sites have fire pits and a post with a hook for hanging trash and/or lanterns. No alcohol is allowed. Dogs on a leash are allowed. While we were here, several of the sites along the lake were flooded (see pics). The beach had recently been closed due to flooding, but was open while we were there. If you dig down just a couple of inches on the beach, you'll find clay. My kids loved this and made a couple of clay pots (see pics). As with most campsites we visit, people here were friendly and courteous. There is not a market on site, however there was a Dollar General about 13 miles away. They had a lot of the groceries we needed. There were also several gas stations along the way there that had ice and firewood. This is a great place for families to enjoy a beach without leaving KY!

Family Friendly & Private

Very clean and friendly. The beach was closed but we found a swimming hole off the beaten path. The primitive campgrounds are very clean. The lake water is very clean and the fish are bountiful!

Great place to camp

Very nice place to camp great sites well maintained

Small, quiet campground right on the water.

This campground has clean restrooms and decent sized spots. It’s pretty popular so you have to book in advance if you want a spot right on the water, but these spots are awesome.

Big Noisy Campground

Axtel Recreation Area on Rough River Lake was probably the noisiest area we stopped at. I thought I had found an adequate spot in one of the rear loops which had campsites squeezed along the hill face, road and water way. However we were obviously on one of the main water thoroughfares because watercraft traffic did not let up and the noise just amplified against the hill. It was mostly shaded but the sites were only a little wider then the vehicle and then you had the drop to the water with no put in possible because it was too steep.

In the upper loop there was a somewhat quieter spot, I just don’t care for these type campgrounds. The showerhouse was a distance away but we did have a water point across the road from us.

The campground and boatramp were on opposite sides of the road. This is a large campground with a nice size sand beach for campers only. Unless you get a nearby site it is a bit of a walk to the beach.

Maverics Place restaurant is nearby and the intersection at Ky259/79 has fuel, food and a liquor store.

Axtel

We have visited Axtel campground several times. Love it there. Awesome views of the lake from almost any campsite.