The best BOAT IN camping near
Frankfort , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Frankfort Camping Reviews
Nice state park

We stopped for a night on our way through.  Had a nice quiet spot right on the river.  With the locks closed this year, the traffic on the river was way down.  It would have been fun to watch the boats but oh well.  Easy in and out right off the interstate.  Not busy at all mid week.

Weekend Camping with lots of activities

For years, this was our go-to campground for weekend nearby adventures. Over the years, the price has increased and at $30 per site for non-residents, it's a bit steep for tent camping for me (so I left off a star rating). All sites are electric, so if you are tent camping and want your fan or slow-cooker, then it's as good as it gets in the burbs. It's located in a beautiful wooded Dupage County Forest preserve. While the sites are pretty close together, there are a few good ones that feel more secluded. Designated chip bark tent sites are level. The grounds are very well maintained. While I didn't camp here this year, I took these photos the last weekend in October to give everyone a sense of how nice this campground could be for them. My favorite sites over the years were the ones closest to Silver Lake along the South Loop road because those sites have the best views. For privacy, my favorite site is #27 on the north loop road which makes you feel like you are alone in the woods. Other than plenty of hiking options including a big hill, the fishing is outstanding. There are lots of places along the lake and ponds to get an easy catch and release. There is also archery, a dog park, picnic areas, boat rental/ramp, and a compass course. It is a great place for families. I've brought cub scouts here and my kids' friends. Heads-up that sites 21 & 22 may not be able to see traffic on the busy Winfield Rd in the summer, but you will still hear it at those sites.

Good options for urban camping

If you want to try camping in the Chicagoland area without traveling far afield, you could do worse. Most of the sites have a chip pad for tents and concrete for the vehicle. Site 20 is turf and nicely secluded. Most of the sites are partial shade. County park district runs it and the fees are kinda steep, 20 res/30 non-res

Very little shade, but great mountain bike trails

We stayed here for two nights recently. This is our second time staying at this campground…we also stayed here in 2019. Our camp site was #2. For the most part, all of the 30/50 amp sites are very similar. Can't really say one appears to be better than the rest. Sites # 4 and 5 probably have the longest length parking pad. I believe this is a relatively newer campground. There is NO shade during the day. None at all due to the trees within the campground being small. There are two bath/shower houses. I would rate them at a 4/5…not the best we've seen, but by far not the worst. Our son was playing in a youth hockey tournament nearby so the location was perfect for us. We aren't huge into bike trails, but we did bring our bikes after I read about the trail systems. The mountain bike trails were awesome. If you're a trail rider, you must stay here. The lack of shade won't matter because you'll be riding all day. There are miles and miles of trails. We saw several vehicles carrying top of the line bikes in and out all day. We had a blast riding our bikes.

I'm giving Camp Bullfrog Lake 4 out of 5 stars. The lack of shade trees and the high cost per night took away the fifth star. We paid $122.00 for two nights.

Nice

Alittle bit on the pricey side to pitch a tent but did the trick. Has showers and flushable toilets. Easy off the highway and located near a tiny center of town with a few bars and stores.

Not worth it at all.

The lot we reserved was very small and weedy. There was standing water and mud everywhere and the bugs were TERRIBLE. We ended up leaving before we even tried to set up because we would’ve had to put our tents up on the gravel driveway. Would not recommend!

Awesome campground

Had a great time in a large cabin with my wife, son, great buddy, his wife, and son. Perfect for family camping. And I'm handicapped and the bathroom was wonderful. I used to be in a wheelchair and that bathroom was the best handicapped broom I was ever in. A lot of room astound the John and a great open shower. No tub. You can shower in a wheelchair! Great fishing and the fire pit at night just topped it off. After the covid scare has passed, I'm heading there. And there's fishing boats at maple lake.

Great location to avoid crowds

I was able to get here right before the state closed the parks. It was empty but the dog and I we doing some hiking at Starved Rock so I figured why not. Sites were nice…nothing special. We got an electric site so I was able to use my teardrop which made it nice. Picnic table…fire ring…vault toilet…I don’t need much more than that. It does have some nice hiking along the river and wasn’t busy which is a huge bonus compared to other locations that are near. I would highly recommend this campground for those looking to avoid the crowds.

Decent State Park

Spent a couple nights here (site 3) for Vintage Illinois at a nearby park. Quiet, fairly level, gravel sites. Electric worn but fully functional. Lots of trees and shade. From map it looked like site 3 was isolated at end of loop - weeellll, it IS at the end of a loop - right across from camp host and adjacent to maintenance area for lock & dam - not very picturesque. Didn’t use bathhouse so can’t comment on that. Drink vending machines by bathhouse. Local guy across from entrance to park sells firewood. Site had fire ring and picnic table. One thing to note - trees drop some kinda “nuts” and when you drive over them they pop and it sounds just like you are dragging low hanging branches. I started to backing and swore I was hitting branches (even though I’d looked and knew it was clear) and DW said we were clear….

Woods near the river

Went tent camping here and reserved our spot in advance. We bought fire wood from a locals front lawn at the entrance to the state park. Put 5$ in the bin and take a bundle. Its 30 mins away from Starved Rock and Matthiesson State Park. Good hiking. The river spots are all booked by large RVs and the tent spots have grills over the fire pits and picnic tables. lots of tree cover which came in handy when it rained in the morning. Otherwise great weather and not buggy. Dogs allowed.