Carlinville, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Carlinville Camping Reviews
The Kampground is no longer a last resort.

Never really wanted to go somewhere called "The Last Resort". Just seems like they didn't want to be your first choice. But now its called "The Kampground", and it's under new ownership. The new owner has really done a fantastic job of restoring this property which was formerly a church kids camp. The bathrooms were really clean, property well maintain, staff was extremely nice and hospitable, and the area is really quiet with neighbors far enough away that any noise we made went unheard. Thanks for everything Steve!

Best kept secret

If you don’t know anything about this place, I would recommend it! The sites are level and clean, and the lady who checked me in was very nice and accommodating. You are a stones throw away from Katy trail which will take you to downtown St. Charles. The trail is about 1.5-2 miles to get to downtown. You can bike or walk there. You are on the final approach for the airport, so I’ll could be a lil noisy for some. The only bad thing which isn’t the campgrounds fault, is you can’t have a camp fire due to the city ordinances. But if that’s the worst….I’ll take it. Wish I had taken pictures of the campground but there was so much to do in St. Charles that I forgot to take them.

A fanatastic little place to camp

A small and not crowded place to camp with all you need and hospitality. Great for tent camping and hiking.

Very well kept up

Clean and very nice campsites.

Easy access

I have to preface my review by saying that this isn’t my kind of campground. I like trees and nature around. This park had very little of that. It seems to be new, and there are trees planted, but it will be awhile before they provide any shade. I stopped here because it was the closest location to an RV repair shop that I unfortunately needed to visit on my way to Chicago.

On the plus side, because it’s new the restrooms/showers were very clean and modern. The site I was in had full hook ups. The water pressure was so strong that I could barely open the water pump!

I think the best thing this campground has going for it is it’s location. Proximity to historic St. Charles and the bike trail.

The park host mentioned that the rates would be going up for next season.

Great family campground

Really love this Campground! The owners are a young family, with a bunch of kids! They live across the road to handle any issues. The lodge/office is open til 8. Level packed gravel sites. We have a 40’ class A. Plenty of pull thru sites. Back in sites are great too. Lots of trees. Good shade. Well kept grounds. 2 catch and release ponds. Playground. Fire pit. AT&T wireless service. Every weekend has an event. Bluegrass to crafts. Right outside of Jacksonville, Ashland, Virginia, and close enough to Springfield. We were there last weekend and will be there again at the end of the month. Happy Camping!

Nice and quiet campground!

Nice and quiet campground, we stay there during the Illinois State Fair every August and it is about 20 mins away from the fairgrounds. Only down fall is there needs to be more rock on the sites, the sites get muddy after a rain!

Clean campground right on the lake!

Beautiful state owned campground that is well maintained and has everything you could want including mostly shaded sites that are level and have plenty of room and many sit right on the lake. There are even cabins to rent in the hickory point campground.

Great place!

Very clean and well kept. The campsites, the showers, everything.  Very affordable.  I will definitely go back.

Amazing Find!

After a massive disappointment at a nearby state park, we came to Sherwood Forest as a last resort. We were beyond pleasantly surprised!

First off, the camp host came and met me at 7pm on Sunday to get me set up. He took me on a golf cart to give me a tour of the available spots. He was so completely friendly and just all-around good!

The place is an amazing little resort-like campground. It’s nicely tucked away with plenty of shade.

The playground is super nice and very well maintained.

Our site is very large with an equally large grass lawn area.

I didn’t visit the bathhouse or laundry facilities but judging by the cleanliness of everything else, I’m sure those are exemplary.

I will most certainly be back!

One of our favorite places to camp!

We love camping here for the beauty of the lake. Had fun kayaking here too. Usually the bathrooms are cleaner than this last time which is why I gave it a 4 star. If you want a lake spot, make a reservation way in advance.

Great place to camp and kayak in the city

We love going here and watching the sunsets. This is a great place to kayak and camp if you don’t want to drive that fare and live in the city.

Great place to hike

Lots of fun trails with great views! Most trails are accessible from the parking area. Good for pictures at sunrise and sunset!

Beautiful clean state park!

If you love fishing or enjoying sunsets on a quiet lake then this campground is for you. Spacious shaded sites with many sitting right on the lake. There are even cabins to rent if that’s more your speed!

Extremely clean

Can tell they take pride in cleanliness of sites, parks, and bathroom. Nice pool.

Great experience!

Big things happening at Country Bend Campgrounds in Montrgromy Co, IL. This beautiful campground has many things to offer and is only a few minutes from the local drive in movie theater in Litchfield Illinois. It has a pool, swing sets, playground, cabins, ponds with stocked fish, beautiful walking trails, camping, welcome center, baseball field, volleyball, games, horseshoes, paddle boats, miniature golf, and so much more. This family run business is under new management and is welcoming new seasonal campers and day campers with competitive pricing. This beautiful campground is nestled in a scenic area in the country and is pet friendly. It has clean shower houses with warm water. We just purchased our seasonal campsite earlier in the season. Come check out this amazing campground and all it has to offer! Our rough collies will be joining us at this dog friendly campground! There is always something to do here and the owners strive to make it a family place by providing many activities on the weekends. The owners have done an amazing job on this campground and have made it one of the best campgrounds around to create that lasting experience with our children before they grow up!!!

Clean, Friendly Campground

We stayed there July 4th weekend we had a great time.  Everyone was friendly they had many activities plus a swimming pool, putt putt golf, paddle boats and fishing.  It rained our 1st night there we had a big mud hole asked if there was anyway to get rock and they brought rick to get it dry for us.  Already booked our next weekend there.  Can’t wait to see how the improve the campground.

Spacious

Primitive tent camping area is very spacious but bathrooms were dirty and gross.  The women’s bathroom near T3 didn’t have toilet paper the entire three days we stayed there.  I drove to other restrooms while we stayed there.   Shower house was nice, with one small shower stall and large ADA shower stall.  Camp host was friendly and helpful. The campground is just a few minutes from Carlinville Walmart and restaurants.

Family Fun Campground

Activities, entertainment and friendly. Small pool and bathhouse could use some attention.

Great place to stop or stay

Our daughter stays there in our camper to attend summer internship in Springfield. The camp hosts passively look out for her and have been willing to help if she should need it. Shower house is clean, camp ground is well run, they even escort you to your site so that your facing the right way and take a route that best suites your rig. Most are shaded and almost all are pull through. Full hook ups. Nice in ground pool and laundry facilities.

Interesting short stop

This place has a lot of permanent campers on site. Very friendly crowd though

Campgrounds close to Pere Marquette Lodge. Is located just north of Grafton that has many food and drink and antique shops. Campground is on the Illinois River with the Mississippi River nearby. Park has a boat launch and harbor.  Campground has electric only and has a dump station. Most sites are spacious. Sites can be reserved on Reserve America.

Nice park!

This is a very nice park. The spaces are a bit close together and not many trees but I've been to worse. The not many trees is do to it still being a fairly new campground. The lake is nice and they have some spots close to it. The only real complaint was that it was a bit of a wind tunnel. I don't know if that is because of were it sits between the river/lake and a levee for the river or because it was spring time and windy anyway.

There is a lot to do here. They have an archery range. The rent out peddle boats, bikes and peddle cars/buggies as well. We rented a peddle buggy. Those are a lot harder to get moving then they look. Awesome workout for the whole family!

Coming Here for Years

I have been coming here for years with my family when I was younger. I took a trip alone with my tent for 4 days in May. The place is as pristine as it was when I was a kid- perfect bathhouse, beautiful lakeshore, and cozy tent camping. Plenty of wildlife to observe and wonderful fishing to be had. Great to ride a bike around, too!

Clean, trains, slow wifi

We stayed in a tent spot… Had shade and a nice concrete pad to park on. Good clean power. Clean bathrooms and pool looked like it was taken care of.

Tent spots have Charcoal grills, table and benches, and a nice metal cover to sit under if it rains.

It's not in the prettiest location, very industrial and the train tracks run close. First night one came through blowing its horns around 5am.

Spent the day in Forest park, a much prettier place to park and explore.

Life On The Lake

Clean bathhouse. Campground hosts very helpful. Electric only but water available and nice dump station. All sites at Hickory Point very close to lake. Several fishing docks in campground.

Small

Tight spots and dirty looks. Regulars welcome, everyone else stay home .

Wine time!

Great CG near Grafton! Easy drive and several winery’s. Nice trails as well!

Great local place

Hometown, go to place! 2 campgrounds, (Hickory Point on the lake) (deerrun in the woods). Both great at different times of the year depending on wind and temperatures.

Good time was had

Went in late April and had a good time with not ideal weather. Kid had a blast at playground with other kids. Cold showers but said they were looking into it. Shut down some karaoke party in a loop around 9pm. Will go back.