The best RV SITES camping near
Hilltop , GEORGIA

Most Recent Hilltop Camping Reviews
Beautiful State Park

Great state park is right off busy I75 highway. It has two different campgrounds. One by the lake is very beautiful; site 112 lake front is great. The other campground is by the falls and deep in the wood. All site are large, level, and gravel. Cell phone signals might not good.

Great place and great staff

We stopped last minute here on Christmas they were almost booked out. The manager had stopped to check on things and was more than happy to rent us a couple spots for the night. The sites are spacious and the park is very clean and well maintained. Will be back!

Great Park!!

We stayed in site #16. I gave it 4 stars just because of the road noise

Pros:

• Spectacular view of the lake
  • Clean bathhouse
  • Site is partially fenced and the pad is level.
  • Very friendly host
  • Not far from hiking trails in
  • Cell phone service (spotty in the campground. 4+ bars on the site with t-mobile)
  • Plenty of room for chairs, gear and a fence for the dogs
  • Firepit down by the lake
  • Easy to get kayaks into the water
  • 20 minutes from major retailers (Lowes, Walmart, etc.)

Cons :

• Not a lot of shade covering our site
  • Road noise as others have stated. Not a deal breaker. There are grooves on the shoulder of the road and when you drive over them it makes an annoying sound
  • Site is closer to others than I care to be
  • Quiet, but it's winter. I imagine it's more active in the summer
  • I'm not sure about the quality of the water. There is a GA Power plant close by and I read an article about possible contamination from the smoke stacks. Do your research.

Overall we had a great experience and we would definitely come back again. Many of the sites are on the lake and I haven't seen one I would not stay in. They do have some construction going on near the dump station. Whatever they're doing they're quiet about it.

Overlander finally pitched a tent

I stopped into Atlanta for a few nights and wanted a covid-safe accommodations and a spot to hike and shoot photography. Sweetwater Creek camping was sort of primitive camping in a city setting. You could definitely hear traffic going by the camp site as a thoroughfare runs through the park. The bathroom facilities and shower were among the cleanest I’ve seen on the road and the hiking was really great. Not busy at all in the early AM. Kudos to the camp host and staff. Although I always prefer sleeping in the back of my Land Cruiser, I’d pitch a tent and definitely stay again for a couple nights in the future.

Fantastic

I stayed in site 52 and there was only one person next to me. Sites were spread out nicely and taken care of. Gates close for cars at 10pm and reopen at 7am. Felt safe. Would go again :)

Great recreation opportunity w/kids

The park is ok. Lots of old rigs around that haven’t moved in years. There’s a fishing pond, Skating rink, lots of things for kids to do. It seemed a little expensive for a 3 day stay and I had poor WiFi access.

Really nice place to camp.

Big campsites on beautiful lake. Stayed at site 38. Great stay.

Needs some work

High falls SP, GA

Stopped here on an overnight enroute south in September . Weekday and very sparsely occupied, so it was very quiet.

After seeing both campgrounds I wish I had stayed at the upper one near the lake and dam.

The lower campground has a coded gate and was in a separate area across the street and down the road. You can hike to the lake/dam area by way of Tranquility Trail (2.5 miles).

There are basically three areas, (two loops and a circle)with two latrines. The latrine in the circle area had a washer and dryer. I did not go in the other one.

Several of the sites picnic tables and fire rings sat close together so if you don’t know your “neighbors” you will get to know them.

The other sites were good size and you have some privacy. There are big grassy area in each loop and it’s all shaded.

My site was near the river but it’s a somewhat treacherous trail down to water level. The water looked like chocolate milk and was not very inviting. I would guess there had been recent flooding and high water areas. Fishing would have been easy enough.

The staff was ….. interesting. One of the woman at the check in openly voiced her opinion about a much nicer camping area at another location. Then there was the kamikaze guy on the “golf cart” speeding crazily through the campground. I realize they don’t have speedometers, however he was going faster then 15 mph.

Very Nice Park on West Point Lake

Friends and family stay at R. Shaefer Heard ofter because most of the sites are very near or overlooking the lake.

The campgrounds are open year round.

West Point Lake is a 29,000 acre lake with over 525 miles of shoreline that startles Georgia and Alabama and stretches from Franklin, GA to West Point GA.

The campground offers 117 sites with electricity and water hookups. Other amenities include a dump station, coin laundry facilities, hot showers, a boat ramp, and hiking trails.

Hidden gem

Great spot! Primitive only. Bathrooms were far from camp spots but portor potties were nearby.